Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 15, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #46,471 of 48,566
What do you guys think of ifi Zen DAC for gaming (VSS through third party software)? The only reason I'm considering it is because I use Tidal quite a lot and would ideally like a DAC for my PC that has MQA capability. The Zen seems to be the only sub 200€ option. There's also the SMSL M500 but it's three times the price..

For now planning to use V-Moda headphones but probably up the ante at some point, maybe Fostex T50RP MK3 or something like that and add maybe the Zen Can

Mar 15, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #46,472 of 48,566
What do you guys think of ifi Zen DAC for gaming (VSS through third party software)? The only reason I'm considering it is because I use Tidal quite a lot and would ideally like a DAC for my PC that has MQA capability. The Zen seems to be the only sub 200€ option. There's also the SMSL M500 but it's three times the price..

For now planning to use V-Moda headphones but probably up the ante at some point, maybe Fostex T50RP MK3 or something like that and add maybe the Zen Can
I don't have the Zen, but I have the Black Label and the original iCAN SE, and ifi usually makes quality (but exaggerated with audiophile advertising nonsense) products. If the Zen has the 3D and bass functions of their other amps those are also excellent as they're analog filters and play well with DSPs.

My only beef with their products is they actually have too many unnecessary features. The Black Label has little dials all over it, some of them get switched moving it around and it's kind of annoying. I don't know if the Zen has that problem though.

Mar 15, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #46,473 of 48,566
I thought x3 can output sxfi digitally with tos
SBX over toslink only, SXFi only out the headphone port.

So what does MQA give you that USB PCM doesn't? IIRC MQA is lossy.

Mar 15, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #46,474 of 48,566
So what does MQA give you that USB PCM doesn't? IIRC MQA is lossy.
I'm somewhat aware of the controversies surrounding MQA in the hifi community, but to my ear, so far MQA sounds mostly better than regular CD-quality stuff on the few direct comparisons I've done. Since I'm using Tidal a lot right now, it made sense to look for MQA capable DACs. Now that Spotify is going CD-quality at the end of the year, I might revert to it, but much of Spotify's plans are still a mystery.. will they support MQA, will they have better than 16/44.1 files as well etc.

Since I have pretty much no experience on dedicated PC DACs and amps and can only go on reviews, I'm at a loss as to what to think of MQA. While Schiit Hel or Mayflower ARC Mk2 seem good for gaming due to the built-in ADC, I could pretty much just as well get a Modmic wireless and go for a "proper" DAC.. So now gunning for one that gives the best bang for the buck.. and features.

Mar 15, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #46,475 of 48,566
I'm somewhat aware of the controversies surrounding MQA in the hifi community, but to my ear, so far MQA sounds mostly better than regular CD-quality stuff on the few direct comparisons I've done. Since I'm using Tidal a lot right now, it made sense to look for MQA capable DACs. Now that Spotify is going CD-quality at the end of the year, I might revert to it, but much of Spotify's plans are still a mystery.. will they support MQA, will they have better than 16/44.1 files as well etc.

Since I have pretty much no experience on dedicated PC DACs and amps and can only go on reviews, I'm at a loss as to what to think of MQA. While Schiit Hel or Mayflower ARC Mk2 seem good for gaming due to the built-in ADC, I could pretty much just as well get a Modmic wireless and go for a "proper" DAC.. So now gunning for one that gives the best bang for the buck.. and features.
I use a SMSL M300 MKII, and music source are my own rips, or Amazon Music HD.

Mar 16, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #46,476 of 48,566
I haven't pulled the trigger yet on the G6 with all this uncertainty with HDMI audio extractors (I sadly don't have a way to test response time on my monitor).

Since I still have a small headphone amp laying around, I am wondering if I could make my mixamp a little better with external amping. Now, I don't need more power, but I am looking for a cleaner audio signal.

I have read some comments on double amping, but couldn't stream output be used as a line out on the the mixamp (2013)? Not sure if the DAC or the AMP part of the mixamp is the weakest link, but I assume both aren't really all that good.

p.s. what audio settings are you guys using in Warzone? I use studio reference but I am not sure that is the best for footsteps.

Mar 17, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #46,478 of 48,566
Not sure you'd want to pick up game audio from that thing. It's a bluetooth device. You're getting a compromised signal to send to the X7.

For chat, sure. For actual audio? Eh. Not sure I'd go there. Of course, I'm down to be surprised.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #46,479 of 48,566
I just got some AKG K612s and redscape and have a few questions:

First, does anyone have any advice for how to dial in the anatomy customization options in redscape beyond just "screw around and find out"?

Second, I emailed Ryan from redscape to ask which in-game audio settings would work best. He said to set the game audio to output 7.1. Yet in fortnite, for example, that is not an option. So should I be using the in-game 3d audio setting or the default stereo setting? I'm not really sure how any of this works haha.

Mar 17, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #46,480 of 48,566
You don't set 7.1 audio in the game. You do that at the system level. Fortnite would likely just have some Home Theater preset.

5.1/7.1 is something you set on Windows. I don't have any idea on how Apple/Linux work, so anyone with that question will have to ask someone else.

Search sound settings on the Taskbar search bar (or right click the sound icon on the bottom right of your task bar if it's there). The top right there is Sound Control Panel, and that pop up will have your devices. You right click on the Redscape one, and click on configure speakers, and set that to 7.1.

As far as anatomy options, I left mine at default. Works well enough. I just set Room knob graphic to about 2-4 o clock. Though that's preference.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #46,481 of 48,566
I'm trying to decide between a pc38x or Philips Fidelio X2HR or SHP9500. I've ordered them from most expensive to cheapest in the UK.

I mainly play competitive FPS games like Warzone and I use my Xbox controllers headphone jack for audio. I am currently using a hdj 2000 with splitter for microphone.

Which of the three will give me the best sound?

Mar 18, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #46,485 of 48,566
Really looking forward to your ideas, experiences and recommendations!

I use the SMSL SU-8 DAC, and software VSS such as dolby atmos for headphones (from microsoft store). It is more than enough for competitive online shooters such as battlefield, and i keep getting hackusations. You will get 360 degrees sound cues. You have many other software VSS options to choose from. I don't feel i need anything better than this because it is already too good.

As for hardware VSS options, i tried none but my shortlist has always been GSX1000 and SB G6.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back