Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 10, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #46,336 of 48,562
I don’t have speakers , just want to buy. But if G6 can power passive(unpowered) speakers I will buy it. Because powered speakers not so much on market

but I think that G6 can’t power speakers. Maybe someone can try it?

It can't power speakers Creative have a headphone and speaker amp available you can see it in MLEs picture on the previous page I believe its X7 and it used to retail at around $300.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #46,337 of 48,562
Yeah I certainly don't believe it can power speakers. Powered speakers connected to it, sure, but passive speakers, hell no.

Definitely look into the Creative X7 Limited Edition (the white one), which has power for passive bookshelf speakers at least.

Feb 10, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #46,338 of 48,562
Thank you for clearing this up for me, was always wondering about this. So in case a game supports Atmos (which I feel is generally viewed more favorably than DTS:X), do I need any additonal Dolby software for it to work?

The Dolby Access plug-in will do all your Dolby decoding and HRTF needs.

@Rozzko I would not use the G6 for passives, it's not designed for that. It can provide a Line-Out/SPDIF-Out for an amp. The X7 has 2 flavors, one does 50W / ch and the other 100W / ch with the price boost accordingly. You can also consider something like this:

https://emotiva.com/collections/amps/products/a-100

Feb 11, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #46,339 of 48,562
Thank you for clearing this up for me, was always wondering about this. So in case a game supports Atmos (which I feel is generally viewed more favorably than DTS:X), do I need any additonal Dolby software for it to work?
No you don't. When game has built in Dolby Atmos or DTS:X it then downmixes the game multidirectional sound to stereo headphones using the said algorithm. If you tack additional Dolby Atmos or DTS:X after that (hardware or software) you will just get worse sound (less accurate sound positional cues).

Feb 11, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #46,341 of 48,562
No you don't. When game has built in Dolby Atmos or DTS:X it then downmixes the game multidirectional sound to stereo headphones using the said algorithm. If you tack additional Dolby Atmos or DTS:X after that (hardware or software) you will just get worse sound (less accurate sound positional cues).
If the game is Windows Sonic aware, and has Atmos or DTS:X streaming, it will send encoded streams to the WIn10 app, which can then either be mixed to HRTF 2.0 or output via HDMI to your external decoder, supporting 7.1.4 channels.

Feb 11, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #46,342 of 48,562

Does this apply to shadow of tomb raider? Set in-game settings to spatial sound and windows settings to stereo (all plugins OFF?)

Feb 11, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #46,343 of 48,562
What's the setup for using a G6 just as a DSP and why would you do it?

For example, I have a Schiit Hel and the GS6. What are the advantages of using the Hel with the G6 and how exactly would you hook it up?

Thanks!

Feb 11, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #46,344 of 48,562
What's the setup for using a G6 just as a DSP and why would you do it?

For example, I have a Schiit Hel and the GS6. What are the advantages of using the Hel with the G6 and how exactly would you hook it up?

Thanks!

You'd use the G6's optical out and send the signal out to the Hel through an optical cable. The advantage would be that the Hel is a stronger amp if your headphones aren't powered well by the G6 but only a few will really have this issue.

Feb 12, 2021 at 12:05 AM Post #46,345 of 48,562
The Hel doesn't have an optical input. You'd have to send through the G6 analog out, meaning you'll be using the G6's DAC, and Hel's amp.

Feb 13, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #46,346 of 48,562
If the game is Windows Sonic aware, and has Atmos or DTS:X streaming, it will send encoded streams to the WIn10 app, which can then either be mixed to HRTF 2.0 or output via HDMI to your external decoder, supporting 7.1.4 channels.
It's almost a crime that dolby access app doesn't decode dolby atmos for headphone for movies. I may have to consider buying an avr and speakers, but headphones are just so much less of a hassle.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #46,347 of 48,562
It's almost a crime that dolby access app doesn't decode dolby atmos for headphone for movies. I may have to consider buying an avr and speakers, but headphones are just so much less of a hassle.
I use MPC-BE + MadVR, which uses LAV filters. Config your LAV filters to bitstream your encoded audio (most are disabled by default) This will give Dolby Access an Atmos stream to decode.

Feb 13, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #46,348 of 48,562
I use MPC-BE + MadVR, which uses LAV filters. Config your LAV filters to bitstream your encoded audio (most are disabled by default) This will give Dolby Access an Atmos stream to decode.
I'm confused. This method will only send the atmos stream to home theater systems, not headphones. I'm talking about getting dolby atmos stream on headphones.
So far the Smyth Realizer is the only device on the planet able to do that.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #46,349 of 48,562
I noticed that Redscape's passthru mode still modifies the output. Waves NX will passthru just fine. I'll email the dev and see what is up. @Mad Lust Envy can you test on your end?

EDIT: seems to be some Volume Leveling is still being done. Hmm, seems to be happening with Waves NX too. Confused. Maybe it's a Windows thing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back