Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 4, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #46,306 of 48,566
Well, the G6 isn't a powerful amp, certainly not one to make HD600 shine. Just because it plays loud doesn't mean the headroom is there. The HD600 is what, 300ohm? I think you'd do better with a desktop amp attached to the G6 for it. Though I still see expect miracles.

The HD600 isn't a "full" sounding headphone to begin with.

As an “amp” the G6 does not sound great compared to the MixAmp 2019

Ok so this deserves more context.

Last night I purchased a G6 and began testing it against my Mixamp 2019 and Modius/Asgard 3 DAC/Amp combo

All 3 were connected to my PS4 through TOSlink. The headphones I used were the HD600, PC38X, T60RP Argons, Sundara, and AKG K702.

I played Overwatch in a workshop mode with plenty of characters and sound queues and even ran Resident Evil for a bit.
Switching back and forth it was pretty clear that amp performance went to the Asgard 3, then MixAmp 2019, and lastly the G6. Which surprised me because of the rave reviews found all over the internet for the G6 and less-than-stellar reviews for the MixAmp. I expected the G6 to beat it handily.

But that was yesterday, and this testing was done with a flat eq curve and NO Dolby 5.1.

Today on the other hand I did more testing but with VSS enabled. Now, it was pretty clear that the G6’s SBX was noticeably better than the MixAmp’s Dolby Headphone. I’ve been using it for the better part of the day and sound queues for flanking enemies are much more distinct, making it easier to tell if they’re an immediate threat or not.

In conclusion, the G6 is worthwhile only while using SBX. When compared to the MixAmp without VSS, it didn’t hold its own. The MixAmp 2019 sounded fuller (not nearly as full as the Asgard 3). But enough that when connected to the MixAmp, my headphones sounded like themselves. While when connected to the G6 they sounded more like Hasbro products.

What I’m getting at is I feel it’s dishonest to say the G6 is the best gaming dac/amp when this is only true when SBX is enabled.

I only say this because the G6 has gotten rave reviews not only in this forum, but also from prominent YouTube reviewers, and in another forum that I won’t mention here.

If you play single player games, are a casual player, or like to listen to music/Spotify while gaming, putting “pure competitive” sound to the side, there are much better options like the MixAmp or a dedicated DAC/Amp combo.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 2:20 AM Post #46,307 of 48,566
You just may prefer the warmer sound of the Asgard 3 (which is known to be full/warm sounding) and Mixamp. I wouldn't say the G6 is lean. Perhaps in comparison to a warm sounding amp, but I wouldn't say it steers towards one side or another.

The main value of the G6 here is the ability to send SBX to another dac via optical, or to another amp via analog. Neither things the Mixamp can do. This is why the G6 is highly regarded. That, and it's one of the only ones to work on the PS5.

I haven't heard the newer Mixamps, but I highly doubt they've added the ability to send their virtual surround to other dacs/amps outside of plugging to the headphone jacks.

The G6's versatility makes it the best choice especially for others with better gear. I send the G6's SBX to my Modius via optical, then that to my Jotunheim 2 via XLR.

The X7 is better than the G6, but at its price, it falls above what a lot of people need, and for that price I'd just recommend the G6 with another better amp or even dac and amp anyways.

So yes, to me there is no comparison, the G6 opens up possibilities that others like the Mixamp can't do.

That being said, the new Mixamp does look interesting, and I'd love to try it one day.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #46,308 of 48,566
Hi. I'm looking for headphones for fps, mainly cs, sometimes i fire coda, valorant or some other shooter, but 98% of the time i spend playing csa.
I currently have a Logitech G35 (https://www.morele.net/sluchawki-logitech-g35-981-000549-639709/) I am looking for something better than the ones I currently have. I need the headphones to be comfortable, so that I can replace the pads in the future and of course that the sound is really ok (positioning the opponent). I don't care about any 5.1 / 7.1
I do not want headphones with overwhelming bass, probably the best solution will be medium and high band to hear the opponents' steps very well?
Integrated sound card realtek alc1150 115db snr hd audio with built-in amplifier. I do not know if something is going to "extract" from this card because the headphones I have are currently on usb. If you need to buy a music card or a DAC there.
I was thinking about:
1.CM MH 751
2. Fnatic Reat (I haven't found an opinion about them anywhere, maybe some of you used? The diameter of the drivers 53 mm and the band 20Hz-40kHz will it sound well?)
3.Logitech X Pro
4.Soundblaster x7
5 Hyperx cloud 2 / alpha (I don't know what the differences are)
6. Takstar pro 82
7. ANY OTHER your suggestions?
I will add from myself that it would be nice if it was a headset but it doesn't have to be that way because I have a microphone separately.
Budget: (EUR 230, $ 270)
Thanks in advance for your answers and best regards.

Feb 4, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #46,309 of 48,566
Hi. I'm looking for headphones for fps
I was thinking about:
1.CM MH 751
2. Fnatic Reat (I haven't found an opinion about them anywhere, maybe some of you used? The diameter of the drivers 53 mm and the band 20Hz-40kHz will it sound well?)
3.Logitech X Pro
4.Soundblaster x7

Soundblaster x7 is not a headphone.

My suggestions in no particular order:

1. PC38X
2. AKG 702
3. Sennheiser Game One or 598/599
4. Monolith 570

For 2 and 4 you would need a small dac/amp stack, maximum of $200 in total for both the dac and amp, maybe less. It's a long term investment.

The list you got is not ideal. Out of those you listed only the hyperx and MH751 are good recommendations, but not great. And dont worry too much about frequency response and driver size.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #46,310 of 48,566
1. PC38X
2. AKG 702
4. Monolith 570

I’d also like to add the DT880 (250 ohm for low power/console amps; 600 ohm for bigger amps)

The main value of the G6 here is the ability to send SBX to another dac via optical, or to another amp via analog. Neither things the Mixamp can do. This is why the G6 is highly regarded. That, and it's one of the only ones to work on the PS5.
The G6's versatility makes it the best choice especially for others with better gear. I send the G6's SBX to my Modius via optical, then that to my Jotunheim 2 via XLR.

The ability to have output SBX through the optical out port has interested me since I got the G6. I don’t currently have a mini Toslink cable besides the one that came with the amp so I’m looking to grab one and try it out!

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #46,311 of 48,566
I have a question: Do PC38X's improve with good amping?

Feb 4, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #46,314 of 48,566
As an “amp” the G6 does not sound great compared to the MixAmp 2019

Ok so this deserves more context.

Last night I purchased a G6 and began testing it against my Mixamp 2019 and Modius/Asgard 3 DAC/Amp combo

All 3 were connected to my PS4 through TOSlink. The headphones I used were the HD600, PC38X, T60RP Argons, Sundara, and AKG K702.

I played Overwatch in a workshop mode with plenty of characters and sound queues and even ran Resident Evil for a bit.
Switching back and forth it was pretty clear that amp performance went to the Asgard 3, then MixAmp 2019, and lastly the G6. Which surprised me because of the rave reviews found all over the internet for the G6 and less-than-stellar reviews for the MixAmp. I expected the G6 to beat it handily.

But that was yesterday, and this testing was done with a flat eq curve and NO Dolby 5.1.

Today on the other hand I did more testing but with VSS enabled. Now, it was pretty clear that the G6’s SBX was noticeably better than the MixAmp’s Dolby Headphone. I’ve been using it for the better part of the day and sound queues for flanking enemies are much more distinct, making it easier to tell if they’re an immediate threat or not.

In conclusion, the G6 is worthwhile only while using SBX. When compared to the MixAmp without VSS, it didn’t hold its own. The MixAmp 2019 sounded fuller (not nearly as full as the Asgard 3). But enough that when connected to the MixAmp, my headphones sounded like themselves. While when connected to the G6 they sounded more like Hasbro products.

What I’m getting at is I feel it’s dishonest to say the G6 is the best gaming dac/amp when this is only true when SBX is enabled.

I only say this because the G6 has gotten rave reviews not only in this forum, but also from prominent YouTube reviewers, and in another forum that I won’t mention here.

If you play single player games, are a casual player, or like to listen to music/Spotify while gaming, putting “pure competitive” sound to the side, there are much better options like the MixAmp or a dedicated DAC/Amp combo.

Once my new computer is set up - I will be comparing the AE-9 vs. the G6. The AE-9 is a more powerful DAC/AMP than the G6. According to Creative, the sound quality should be better. We'll see what happens!

Feb 4, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #46,315 of 48,566
Once my new computer is set up - I will be comparing the AE-9 vs. the G6. The AE-9 is a more powerful DAC/AMP than the G6. According to Creative, the sound quality should be better. We'll see what happens!
Not by a whole lot. G6 is 86mW @ 300 ohm, and the AE-9 is 106mW @ 300 ohm. In comparison, the Asgard 3 is 600 mW @ 300 ohm. Also, both consumer PC commodities adhere to the evil PC standard of 1V RMS Line-Out.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #46,316 of 48,566
Redscape

Another drop-in virtualizer, using a virtual sound device as the hook. You use the app and Windows Audio settings to configure the various settings, including the number of channels you want for input, and bit depth / sample rate. The device driver supports a configuration of up to 32/96, just like Waves NX. It's a bit more polished, as it has a full Windows Audio setting interface, as opposed to Waves, which just sits there with 7.1 active all the time.

Of the settings, there are some special interests. For starters, you can choose for 5.1 audio sources to mix to either the Side channels, or the Rears. (Default is Rear) This can be useful with 5.1 music panning, as you may want a U instead of a full circle. There are 3 presets: Gaming, Movie, and Music, which are presets on the room size. I won't go too much into the features, as MLE did a fine job in his review. I will note that you can adjust the spacing of the fronts and adjust the volume of each channel. Also, you can adjust the timing of the cues to match the size of your noggin, and your ear canal spacing. Redscape uses a slider option for both, which makes it easy to adjust, tho not as precise as doing the measurements like in Waves NX, so you will have to experiment here until you find your magic setting.

Redscape's room acoustics model isn't as distorting as say Waves NX is, but their cues are just as accurate. Of the two, I prefer Redscape for my 5.1 music playback thus far, tho I still prefer Nahimic's. One feature that I found to be missing is the ability to have the modeler pass thru stereo sources unmodeled. (Nahimic/Sonic Studio III has this option.) This is great for listening to music playlists with mixed 2.0 and 5.1 tracks. I passed on this suggestion to the author.

When gaming, I do enjoy the larger room settings with my headphones. It's easier to pick up on distance and position, and even when things are on top of you, they sound like they're above you. Of course, it's all adjustable for your preferences. (I currently like using Music preset for gaming) I am still working with the head/ear adjustments to perfect the experience.

Now, which one is better? This would depend on your preferences on how much you can tolerate the distortions of the VSS effect, and whether you want just a gaming solution. As I mentioned before, once you have the measurements done, Waves NX gets eerie accurate, and is a bit more pronounced than Redscape. You may prefer this, much like preferring DTS:X over Dolby Access. However, Waves NX isn't my choice for 5.1 music listening, and is ok for movie watching, but there are better choices, which I have already discussed elsewhere.

Redscape is a nice compromise between cues and smoothness, and has excellent imaging and distance. Another nice feature is that Ryan can be easily contacted via email, and he's happy to answer questions, which I suppose adds value to the license cost. Tho, Waves NX is very much a close 2nd place, and is cheaper, but not as polished or settings friendly. The trick with Waves NX is getting those measurements, as it was a bit underwhelming with default settings.

Unfortunately there's no trial demo of Redscape, tho it does have a 15-day refund policy.

Feb 4, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #46,317 of 48,566
I have a question: Do PC38X's improve with good amping?
The Sennheiser PC38X are only 28-Ohms, so really do not need much voltage to drive them.
A $100 JDS Atom amp or Schiit Magni 3 amp would be more then enough to drive them well.

Feb 5, 2021 at 12:05 AM Post #46,318 of 48,566
The Sennheiser PC38X are only 28-Ohms, so really do not need much voltage to drive them.
A $100 JDS Atom amp or Schiit Magni 3 amp would be more then enough to drive them well.

Mint, I'm using an O2 as you suggested exiting the Tit HD so that should keep it clean and strong enough.

Feb 5, 2021 at 7:12 AM Post #46,320 of 48,566
Soundblaster x7 is not a headphone.

My suggestions in no particular order:

1. PC38X
2. AKG 702
4. Monolith 570

For 2 and 4 you would need a small dac/amp stack, maximum of $200 in total for both the dac and amp, maybe less. It's a long term investment.

The list you got is not ideal. Out of those you listed only the hyperx and MH751 are good recommendations, but not great. And dont worry too much about frequency response and driver size.
I have not ordered headphones yet, but I thought so to order a few pieces and choose the "best" ones that you would advise me from this list, a gaming strike, I do not need bass to be unknown, but to make it, the most important is positioning and steps to make idealnis he heard (I don't know which tones are responsible for it :))

#Sennheiser

game zero / one, dc38x / 38x - any other Sennets?

#Beyerdynamic

Dt990, dt770, custom game, tygr 300r (I can collect over budget, but is it worth it, unless a set without a microphone)

#Philips (somehow this company does not convince me, I used to have some market ones and I gave the service 2x some factory defect, but I can take a risk :))

Sph9500 / 9600, Fidelio x2 / x2hr

# Audio-Technica

ATH-PDG1A, Ad500x, Ad900x, any other Audio-Technica worth attention?

#Akg

K240 studio, k550, k702, k712 pro (apparently akg headphones are harder to "power up" nir I know if the Dac that I suggest below is good enough)

#other brands

CM Mh751, Sonic v2, Rockmaster OE Gaming, SoundMagic HP151, Koss GMR 545 iso / air, Audeze-Mobius I have no idea what model,

I would like to buy for the headphones I replaced with the Fx Audio Dac x3, but I don't know if it will be a good choice and sufficient.

I was also wondering about the open ones, would I not wake my daughter and wife 2 rooms away. Do they not let the sound through?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back