Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 14, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #46,351 of 48,562
Hey MLE,

I see on your sig that you have some emu teaks coming. Have you tried them? Are they essentially just denon d7000?

I think the continuation of the D2000/5000/7000 line was the TH-900. Then a lower priced model, the TH-600 was made and the EMU's came from that line.
All from memory way back, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Feb 14, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #46,352 of 48,562
Hey MLE,

I see on your sig that you have some emu teaks coming. Have you tried them? Are they essentially just denon d7000?
I ordered them about a week ago. I think they take a while to get shipped, so I'm playing the waiting game. All I know is that the Emu Teaks are considered the best, post Denon Fostex-driver headphones, and I've heard they're the closest thing to the D7000.

I had the TH600 and TH900 are both are a bit too bright, metallic and piercing in tonal balance for me to have kept them. I'm sure someone who is OK with EQ, would love the TH900. I'm just iffy about altering a headphone's sound with any EQ. They're both good, but not perfect and less suited to my tastes.

I think the continuation of the D2000/5000/7000 line was the TH-900. Then a lower priced model, the TH-600 was made and the EMU's came from that line.
All from memory way back, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I dunno. All I've heard these are the closest thing to the Denons. Better than the Drop TH-X00 variants.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #46,353 of 48,562
I'm just iffy about altering a headphone's sound with any EQ... not perfect

That's a strange thing to be iffy about, for someone who's into headphone positional audio. Not only the overall FR, but the FR and even the timing of sound from every incident angle should ideally be customized to you, for the best experience. There's no way in heck that ANY pair of headphones off the shelf can be "perfect" for you in these regards :) and what "perfect" constitutes in the headphones would depend a lot on exactly what positional audio algorithm the sound went through.

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 15, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #46,354 of 48,562
That's a strange thing to be iffy about, for someone who's into headphone positional audio. Not only the overall FR, but the FR and even the timing of sound from every incident angle should ideally be customized to you, for the best experience. There's no way in heck that ANY pair of headphones off the shelf can be "perfect" for you in these regards :) and what "perfect" constitutes in the headphones would depend a lot on exactly what positional audio algorithm the sound went through.
I just mean that I like to hear a headphone's inherent sound for better or worse, and feel weird about adjusting it. It's the same thing with pad swapping. I hate doing it because it tends to mess with the intended sound of the headphone.

I'm not the only one that feels that way. Many people against EQ. I think if you're fine with EQ then there's many great headphones that only need slight tweaking, like the TH900.

Like I think the only thing the LCD-1 needs is a mild bass boost since it's almost perfectly neutral (slightly lean on bass) otherwise, and it'd be super ideal. Even with that I still don't do it. 😂

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #46,355 of 48,562
I just mean that I like to hear a headphone's inherent sound for better or worse, and feel weird about adjusting it. It's the same thing with pad swapping. I hate doing it because it tends to mess with the intended sound of the headphone.

I'm not the only one that feels that way. Many people against EQ. I think if you're fine with EQ then there's many great headphones that only need slight tweaking, like the TH900.

Like I think the only thing the LCD-1 needs is a mild bass boost since it's almost perfectly neutral (slightly lean on bass) otherwise, and it'd be super ideal. Even with that I still don't do it. 😂
😅👍

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 16, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #46,357 of 48,562
Yeah I certainly don't believe it can power speakers. Powered speakers connected to it, sure, but passive speakers, hell no.

Definitely look into the Creative X7 Limited Edition (the white one), which has power for passive bookshelf speakers at least.
Hey MLE, I've read the Redscape audio review, and how is it compared with the Dolby Atmos? Also, can headphones that already have a vast soundstage benefit from this? I also want to know if I can apply EQ as well as the 3D audio.

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #46,359 of 48,562
I noticed that Redscape's passthru mode still modifies the output. Waves NX will passthru just fine. I'll email the dev and see what is up. @Mad Lust Envy can you test on your end?

EDIT: seems to be some Volume Leveling is still being done. Hmm, seems to be happening with Waves NX too. Confused. Maybe it's a Windows thing.

There's a passthrough mode in Redscape? Where?

Feb 17, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #46,360 of 48,562
I ordered them about a week ago. I think they take a while to get shipped, so I'm playing the waiting game. All I know is that the Emu Teaks are considered the best, post Denon Fostex-driver headphones, and I've heard they're the closest thing to the D7000.

I had the TH600 and TH900 are both are a bit too bright, metallic and piercing in tonal balance for me to have kept them. I'm sure someone who is OK with EQ, would love the TH900. I'm just iffy about altering a headphone's sound with any EQ. They're both good, but not perfect and less suited to my tastes.

I dunno. All I've heard these are the closest thing to the Denons. Better than the Drop TH-X00 variants.

I enjoyed the teak more than any of the x00 variants, although the purple heart and ebony are very good. I feel that the bass in the teak has just that extra bit of control that I wanted, while still being strong.

Feb 17, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #46,362 of 48,562
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back