Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 5, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #46,321 of 48,562
Looking for some input on a modmic uni and gaming audio in general...starting to game on PC more again vs consoles, so naturally time to look at my audio setup. At my desk I currently have a Burson Conductor 3R that I use for music, it is my understanding that with Windows Sonic or DTS for Headphones I shouldn't need any new DAC/AMP hardware, just the software implementation?

My current headphones are B&W P7 and Focal Elegia. P7's are a bit more V shaped and fun for games, but the Elegia have it beat in sound stage. Thinking about something like a modmic uni, but concerned the double side tape they use may ruin the headphones when I take it off down the road. Anyone have any input on this?

I've also been exploring some slightly cheaper setups to use as a dedicated rig too, such as the Beyer DT 770 Pro/modmic, the Beyer MMX 300, EPOS|Sennheiser Game Zero, Audeze Penrose etc. Any recommendations there? Prefer to stay closed vs open for the location of my desk. Wired vs Wireless I don't really have a preference.

I tried some Logitech G Pro X wired, and after listening to good headphones for so long they just didn't do it for me.

Feb 5, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #46,322 of 48,562
Hey everyone noob question here does the amp/dac change the sound of the headphones. If so how do I know which one is best suited for which headphones. I was thinking of getting the ifi-zen-signature set for my Deva's and curious if its a good combo

Feb 5, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #46,323 of 48,562
Thinking about something like a modmic uni, but concerned the double side tape they use may ruin the headphones when I take it off down the road. Anyone have any input on this?
I own a Modmic Uni. The adhesive is designed to come off and not leave a residue, so no worries about damaging your headphones. Tho I recently upgraded to a desk mic, as I was looking for better quality. Tho for a boom mic, it's fine.

Feb 5, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #46,324 of 48,562
So the Creative Sound Blaster G6 paired with a Modius/Asgard3 is absolutely phenomenal.

I purchased 2 mini TOSlink cables today and started another round of testing. First, I had to change some settings in Sound Blaster Command, specifically enabling Headphone Virtualization 5.1 onto the "Speaker Output" and raising the Optical In volume to about 85%. These two changes brought jaw-dropping, virtualized sound to my PC38X. MadLustEnvy was absolutely correct to give a good word in its ability to output SBX to a separate DAC/Amp.

A small thing to note: At this point there is a lot of processing being done. PS4 to G6, then SBX virtualization, and finally output to Modius. This whole process takes time and allows a slight delay to be barely noticeable. After playing a few rounds of Overwatch I don't believe there's anything to be worried about. I feel this is becasue a time delay issue would be much more important in the visual realm as that would affect hand-eye coordination. Although with sound, a huge bump in quality would allow you to hear exactly what's happening; ultimately giving you more time to process an effective gameplan.

I'm sold. If you're willing to spend the money on another DAC/amp or already have one, the G6 proves itself as a fantastic add-on to that setup.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #46,325 of 48,562
Hey everyone noob question here does the amp/dac change the sound of the headphones. If so how do I know which one is best suited for which headphones. I was thinking of getting the ifi-zen-signature set for my Deva's and curious if its a good combo
No. Amp and dacs are there to make sure the headphones sound their best at all times. The cleanest signal, the cleanest power. If you want them to change the sound, use an equalizer, bass boost, etc. It is NOT an amp/dacs job to change the sound. Some headphones may sound weaker and thinner with less fullness, soundstaging, bass, etc if not driven to optimal levels.

Tube amps may impart some subtle sound changes because of tube distortion. Otherwise, no don't expect sound changes.

There may and likely will be subtle changes with amp/dacs, but that takes some keener ears. Like my Jotunheim 2 sounds less detailed and razor focused through its regular Headphone out, but more rounded and softer which can be good. Compared to the balanced out.

These are minute, subtle changes. Nothing like a drastic change even a slight EQ can do.

It's weird because my PortaPro off the balanced connection sounds like a higher end version of what I've been used to for so long.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #46,326 of 48,562
Redscape

Another drop-in virtualizer, using a virtual sound device as the hook. You use the app and Windows Audio settings to configure the various settings, including the number of channels you want for input, and bit depth / sample rate. The device driver supports a configuration of up to 32/96, just like Waves NX. It's a bit more polished, as it has a full Windows Audio setting interface, as opposed to Waves, which just sits there with 7.1 active all the time.

Of the settings, there are some special interests. For starters, you can choose for 5.1 audio sources to mix to either the Side channels, or the Rears. (Default is Rear) This can be useful with 5.1 music panning, as you may want a U instead of a full circle. There are 3 presets: Gaming, Movie, and Music, which are presets on the room size. I won't go too much into the features, as MLE did a fine job in his review. I will note that you can adjust the spacing of the fronts and adjust the volume of each channel. Also, you can adjust the timing of the cues to match the size of your noggin, and your ear canal spacing. Redscape uses a slider option for both, which makes it easy to adjust, tho not as precise as doing the measurements like in Waves NX, so you will have to experiment here until you find your magic setting.

Redscape's room acoustics model isn't as distorting as say Waves NX is, but their cues are just as accurate. Of the two, I prefer Redscape for my 5.1 music playback thus far, tho I still prefer Nahimic's. One feature that I found to be missing is the ability to have the modeler pass thru stereo sources unmodeled. (Nahimic/Sonic Studio III has this option.) This is great for listening to music playlists with mixed 2.0 and 5.1 tracks. I passed on this suggestion to the author.

When gaming, I do enjoy the larger room settings with my headphones. It's easier to pick up on distance and position, and even when things are on top of you, they sound like they're above you. Of course, it's all adjustable for your preferences. (I currently like using Music preset for gaming) I am still working with the head/ear adjustments to perfect the experience.

Now, which one is better? This would depend on your preferences on how much you can tolerate the distortions of the VSS effect, and whether you want just a gaming solution. As I mentioned before, once you have the measurements done, Waves NX gets eerie accurate, and is a bit more pronounced than Redscape. You may prefer this, much like preferring DTS:X over Dolby Access. However, Waves NX isn't my choice for 5.1 music listening, and is ok for movie watching, but there are better choices, which I have already discussed elsewhere.

Redscape is a nice compromise between cues and smoothness, and has excellent imaging and distance. Another nice feature is that Ryan can be easily contacted via email, and he's happy to answer questions, which I suppose adds value to the license cost. Tho, Waves NX is very much a close 2nd place, and is cheaper, but not as polished or settings friendly. The trick with Waves NX is getting those measurements, as it was a bit underwhelming with default settings.

Unfortunately there's no trial demo of Redscape, tho it does have a 15-day refund policy.

I'm seriously thinking of trying Redscape. Sounds very interesting, especially because you can tweak the "spacing." One of my main pet peeves with a lot of VSS software is that they're not very good at verticality. No matter if its DTS, Dolby or SBX, they're just not that accurate when it comes to hearing things above or below you.

So you're saying for gaming purposes, it's worth it? Also, how does it affect the sound vs the other options? Thanks!

Feb 6, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #46,327 of 48,562
I'm seriously thinking of trying Redscape. Sounds very interesting, especially because you can tweak the "spacing." One of my main pet peeves with a lot of VSS software is that they're not very good at verticality. No matter if its DTS, Dolby or SBX, they're just not that accurate when it comes to hearing things above or below you.

So you're saying for gaming purposes, it's worth it? Also, how does it affect the sound vs the other options? Thanks!
Read my review for comparisons. I've moved the review so I can have everything in one place and update it, and not clutter up MLE's fine work with replies about my stuff, and get lost in his thread.

Chastity's Review of VSS Solutions

For gaming, I like the Redscape solution. It's very customizable, and it's not a harsh room model, like Out Of Your Head. I find it immersive, and directionality / distance are very spot on. The model has a bit of a rectangular feel, but still maintains a natural ambience, so it doesn't feel out of place with outdoor scenes. When objects are occupying your same space, there's a sense of it being atop of you.

Mind you, it's limited to 7.1 Surround, so there will not be much in vertical cues, unless the game embeds them in it's output. This is where games supporting Atmos or DTS:X output will have the advantage, as they will have a full 360 degree, 3-axis cues.

Feb 6, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #46,328 of 48,562
Well i tried waves nx for gaming for 15 days, while the sound of directional cues is more refined and accentuated (compared to dolby atmos for headphones), it is horrible with rear cues as it makes them sound strictly left or right instead. And yes i did configure the head measurements.

I reverted back to dolby atmos for headphones while playing bf1 and bf5. Might try redscape when it goes on sale.

Feb 7, 2021 at 1:00 AM Post #46,329 of 48,562
Read my review for comparisons. I've moved the review so I can have everything in one place and update it, and not clutter up MLE's fine work with replies about my stuff, and get lost in his thread.

Chastity's Review of VSS Solutions

For gaming, I like the Redscape solution. It's very customizable, and it's not a harsh room model, like Out Of Your Head. I find it immersive, and directionality / distance are very spot on. The model has a bit of a rectangular feel, but still maintains a natural ambience, so it doesn't feel out of place with outdoor scenes. When objects are occupying your same space, there's a sense of it being atop of you.

Mind you, it's limited to 7.1 Surround, so there will not be much in vertical cues, unless the game embeds them in it's output. This is where games supporting Atmos or DTS:X output will have the advantage, as they will have a full 360 degree, 3-axis cues.

Gotcha. Appreciate the insight! For games that support Atmos, do you typically use the Movie setting or Game setting?

Feb 8, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #46,332 of 48,562
Hello
Tell me please, will be creative G6 good for passive speakers? I want to use G6 like amp for passive speakers. Is it okay? Or G6 only for headphones?
Creative Labs Sound BlasterX G6's headphone amplifier should be able to drive small (un-powered) speakers.
What is the make and model of the speakers your planning on getting?

Feb 9, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #46,333 of 48,562
So after mulling back and forth on what to get, I ended up ordering a pair of Emu-Teaks. Once again looking for the best replacement to the post-2012 Denon D7000 sound. We'll see how that goes. Though I have no clue on when the pair arrives, if it even ships here, lol.

You see an image like this, and I'm like, oh yeeeeeah Emu is owned by Creative...

feature_emuteak_2.jpg

Feb 9, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #46,334 of 48,562
Creative Labs Sound BlasterX G6's headphone amplifier should be able to drive small (un-powered) speakers.
What is the make and model of the speakers your planning on getting?
I don’t have speakers , just want to buy. But if G6 can power passive(unpowered) speakers I will buy it. Because powered speakers not so much on market

but I think that G6 can’t power speakers. Maybe someone can try it?

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #46,335 of 48,562

Thank you for clearing this up for me, was always wondering about this. So in case a game supports Atmos (which I feel is generally viewed more favorably than DTS:X), do I need any additonal Dolby software for it to work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back