Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 2, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #39,153 of 48,565
When a reviewer wears the cups/pads on the outside of his cap..... I'll wait for another review (did he mention if the closed ones seal the sound in?)

Am tipping they'll be cheaper, better sounding and more comfortable than the majority of "gaming" headsets.

Surprised they don't come with a 2 into 1 adaptor.

Sep 2, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #39,154 of 48,565
When a reviewer wears the cups/pads on the outside of his cap..... I'll wait for another review (did he mention if the closed ones seal the sound in?)
I imagine they sounded pretty good, because the reviewer himself was super amped. I don't actually know what that means (maybe the cap was necessary for the super amping), but it sounds like an audio revolution.

The headphones are 101 decibel SPL, which means 101 decibel split. Amazing.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #39,157 of 48,565
I'm skeptical of anything marketed as a "gaming" product until I try it for myself.

There's usually technically nothing wrong with "gaming" headsets. They just typically aren't as good for the cost as what you can do with separate items, and you're paying a premium for the all-in-one package and branding. One of the few headsets I could ever personally recommend would be the Sennheiser PC360.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #39,158 of 48,565
There's usually technically nothing wrong with "gaming" headsets. They just typically aren't as good for the cost as what you can do with separate items, and you're paying a premium for the all-in-one package and branding. One of the few headsets I could ever personally recommend would be the Sennheiser PC360.
In my experience, headsets that target the gaming audience tend to focus more on styling (and lately RGB) rather than comfort and sound. There are a few standouts, but the majority of the gaming market just falls into a big ol' pool that keeps washing over itself.

The list of headsets I'd recommend is small as well. The Sennheiser PC 360 doesn't make my list, but I do like the Massdrop/Sennheiser PC37X. I also liked the original HyperX Cloud, though I haven't heard any of the recent revisions. That was essentially a rebrand of one of QPAD's most popular headsets.

I have high expectations of a headset. It's tough for one to meet my criteria and get the thumbs up. Unless a headset is absolutely necessary, I'd usually suggest starting with a great pair of headphones and find a way to add a mic.

Sep 6, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #39,159 of 48,565
In my experience, headsets that target the gaming audience tend to focus more on styling (and lately RGB) rather than comfort and sound. There are a few standouts, but the majority of the gaming market just falls into a big ol' pool that keeps washing over itself.

The list of headsets I'd recommend is small as well. The Sennheiser PC 360 doesn't make my list, but I do like the Massdrop/Sennheiser PC37X. I also liked the original HyperX Cloud, though I haven't heard any of the recent revisions. That was essentially a rebrand of one of QPAD's most popular headsets.

I have high expectations of a headset. It's tough for one to meet my criteria and get the thumbs up. Unless a headset is absolutely necessary, I'd usually suggest starting with a great pair of headphones and find a way to add a mic.
What about the Beyerdynamic headsets? I remember You posting about a Beyerdynamic a little while back.

Sep 6, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #39,160 of 48,565
Doesn't the new Sennheiser 598SR have an inline mic? I bought an after market in line mic cable for my 598SE and it works great as a "gaming headset" on the rare occasions I need a mic. At work I have a DT770 with a modmic which is also pretty great.

Sep 6, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #39,161 of 48,565
What about the Beyerdynamic headsets? I remember You posting about a Beyerdynamic a little while back.
They updated their MMX 300 to include a detachable cable, changed their boom mic and made it overall a more rounded headset. We made a thread during CES for the announcement, but I've not heard the new one yet. The changes looked to all be positive. I've listened to music through the original MMX 300, but never gamed with it.

Sep 15, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #39,164 of 48,565
If money is not an issue then the smyth realiser a16. Otherwise have a look at the soundblaster x7.

If you are on pc, check out sennheisers solution the gsx models but they may require an additional amp depending on your headphones

If you are using an Xbox, you can purchase a license for Dolby Atmos for headphones. This is currently only an upmix solution as games need to be patched first and none are at the moment.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #39,165 of 48,565
What is the go to virtual sound device? I wanted the mixamp but they haven't released a new one for quite some time.
Depends, if you need a virtual sound device (headphone surround sound) for a gaming console, might as well buy a used Astro Mix-amp (off eBay), or even cheaper a used Turtle Beach systems DSS (off eBay).
If for a Windows PC, then maybe an internal or external sound card (Creative or Asus or other).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back