Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 15, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #39,166 of 48,562
If money is not an issue then the smyth realiser a16. Otherwise have a look at the soundblaster x7.

If you are on pc, check out sennheisers solution the gsx models but they may require an additional amp depending on your headphones

If you are using an Xbox, you can purchase a license for Dolby Atmos for headphones. This is currently only an upmix solution as games need to be patched first and none are at the moment.

I liked the GSX from sennheiser, didn't cross my mind, the problem is the price tho...

Depends, if you need a virtual sound device (headphone surround sound) for a gaming console, might as well buy a used Astro Mix-amp (off eBay), or even cheaper a used Turtle Beach systems DSS (off eBay).
If for a Windows PC, then maybe an internal or external sound card (Creative or Asus or other).

I was thinking about something like the mixamp that lets me have 2 sound sources going through, i have the DSS but it has LOTS of background noise.

Sep 16, 2017 at 4:49 AM Post #39,168 of 48,562
There's also Recon 3D which IIRC has lower background noise than the Mixamp.

EDIT: Why Astro is a pos company:

ASTRO HEADSET-ONLY COMPATIBILITY

The custom 3.5mm jack provides compatibility only with ASTRO A10 and A40 headsets.
^direct quote from the Mixamp m60 product page.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #39,169 of 48,562
Damn, with announcement of Magni 3 the entire "what amp to pair with a mixamp" debate became moot again.

Sep 19, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #39,170 of 48,562
Damn, with announcement of Magni 3 the entire "what amp to pair with a mixamp" debate became moot again.
It'll certainly be a frequent recommendation. The Magni 3 even drives an LCD-4. Not to ear-splitting levels, but pretty damned impressively for $100. Unless someone needs a truly portable amp, the Magni 3 will likely be a go-to suggestion for Mixamp pairing. The main reason I can think to recommend something else would be for better synergy with specific headphones.

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #39,171 of 48,562
Hey all!

So after getting the Fidelio X1 when it released like... 4 years ago one of my pads finally gave up. The inside fell apart and I can now see the foam as the fuzzy outside is unraveling off it. I'm sure there's a way to fix it, but if not I'm in the market for a new headset.

https://imgur.com/a/4M5vG for reference as to what happened to the pads.

I've been looking at either getting a new X1 or changing to a AKG 712 Pro. I've got an Asus Xonar STX to drive my headphones atm, I could potentially get an external amp in the future if I had to but I'd rather not.

I cannot get an X2 as it's not available in my country nor does anyone ship them here. I love my X1's as they're super comfy and great range with great bass. I'm using it for movies, games and music. My only downside to them is that my ears hit the insides of the walls and can itch. Competitiveness is not important to me at all, I'm more about fun and getting the most immersion in my games. Mids/bass are very important, I like them to be defined but fun. Highs I would like clear, not distorted and a little warm.

There's not a big price difference between them, so I can get a new pair of X1's or try something new. The AKG's are cheaper than the X1's.

Would you say the AKG pro's would be better than the X1's for this?

Sep 21, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #39,172 of 48,562
Hey everyone,

Advice on an external mic that's not the boompro for gaming? I have a loud keyboard and kids in the background.

In my research I see a lot of mentions of the modmic, but I see very polarizing reviews (either its great or garbage) so i'm not sure if it's safe to make that $70 purchase. Can I get some more recent opinions?

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #39,173 of 48,562
Hey everyone,

Advice on an external mic that's not the boompro for gaming? I have a loud keyboard and kids in the background.

In my research I see a lot of mentions of the modmic, but I see very polarizing reviews (either its great or garbage) so i'm not sure if it's safe to make that $70 purchase. Can I get some more recent opinions?
Gaming on a console or PC? Some game consoles accept USB microphones. I know the PS4 works with the Blue Snowball. If you're looking for good noise rejection on a mic, maybe a USB dynamic mic on a stand would work for your needs. I game with a dynamic mic on PC. If you're looking for more of a traditional "headset" style setup the ModMic is decent. I had their first generation model years ago and paired it with the AKG Q701.

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #39,174 of 48,562
Gaming on a console or PC? Some game consoles accept USB microphones. I know the PS4 works with the Blue Snowball. If you're looking for good noise rejection on a mic, maybe a USB dynamic mic on a stand would work for your needs. I game with a dynamic mic on PC. If you're looking for more of a traditional "headset" style setup the ModMic is decent. I had their first generation model years ago and paired it with the AKG Q701.

Ah yes I forgot to mention it's for PC gaming. I was indeed looking for the more traditional headset setup. It will be paired with my TH-X00.

Sep 22, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #39,175 of 48,562
Ah yes I forgot to mention it's for PC gaming. I was indeed looking for the more traditional headset setup. It will be paired with my TH-X00.
There's also the Massdrop Minimic which works pretty much the same as the modmic but is only $25

Sep 22, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #39,177 of 48,562
I liked the GSX from sennheiser, didn't cross my mind, the problem is the price tho...

I was thinking about something like the mixamp that lets me have 2 sound sources going through, i have the DSS but it has LOTS of background noise.

Go with the X7. You can have several inputs playing at the same time. You can also take phone calls through it while gaming. Check out the dedicated thread for the X7.

I own an older Mixamp, one of the better ones they ever made. It's noisy, needs an external amp for most headphones, and just doesn't have ANYWHERE near the functionality of the X7. Astro really screwed up these past few years. They were once the go to, for console gaming. I just can't recommend their products anymore.

Love my X7, and hopefully by Christmas I can retire it for other usage, when my Smyth Research Realizer A16 arrives.

Sep 25, 2017 at 4:43 AM Post #39,178 of 48,562
I would not do so right now there are problems with this card while for me that is. The AE-5 is conflicting with my SBZ. Can't remember when i first noticed it but my SBZ will detect as AE-5 and AE-5 detects as SBZ.

I wonder if they ever got those AE-5 issues solved? The most common complaints I've heard are:

- mic input 'whine' or 'whistling' (regardless of card grounding, external molex connector used or not)
- upon reboot, output volume resets to 100% (I still get this with my X7 too, even with latest drivers, after various re-installs)
- bass crossover settings not working properly

Also, the noise isolation was quite bad, according to several reviews. So for people who need to crank it up and have the absolute black backround, not the ideal solution.

Personally I'd love to get a working 7.1 PCIe soundcard (with no USB-bridge) as they have lower latency and 'just work', when the drivers are correct. I'm having enough of stuttering and USB saturation issues with my X7, even though it's sitting alone in a motherboard integrated USB2 controller (not sharing bandwidth) and the controller is on separate non-shared IRQ. For my money, the PCIe cards (not PCIE-USB bridge ones) used to work much more reliably.

Sep 25, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #39,179 of 48,562
Has anyone tried the Hifiman edition s for gaming? I can't get the earpad back on my dt770s after removing them and blowing the hairs off the drivers..it's not all bad amazon are giving me a full refund..i have ordered the hifiman they cost £189(rip off britain) in the uk and $149 in the usa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back