Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 25, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #39,181 of 48,562
Hey everyone,

Advice on an external mic that's not the boompro for gaming? I have a loud keyboard and kids in the background.

In my research I see a lot of mentions of the modmic, but I see very polarizing reviews (either its great or garbage) so i'm not sure if it's safe to make that $70 purchase. Can I get some more recent opinions?

Bump on this question

Sep 26, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #39,184 of 48,562
Oh nice haven't heard of these. Will those work with the TH-X00?
You'd need a custom double entry to single entry adapter. Ask Evshrug where he got his, he had one made for hd700 iirc

Sep 26, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #39,185 of 48,562
You'd need a custom double entry to single entry adapter. Ask Evshrug where he got his, he had one made for hd700 iirc
I can't answer for Evs, but I have an adapter like that for my Ether Flow. I picked up a SE/Hirose adapter from PETEREK (Head-Fi'er, but don't want to bug him with a tag) and it's been very kind to me.

Sep 26, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #39,186 of 48,562

I've been looking at either getting a new X1 or changing to a AKG 712 Pro...

I cannot get an X2 as it's not available in my country nor does anyone ship them here. I love my X1's as they're super comfy and great range with great bass. I'm using it for movies, games and music. My only downside to them is that my ears hit the insides of the walls and can itch. Competitiveness is not important to me at all, I'm more about fun and getting the most immersion in my games. Mids/bass are very important, I like them to be defined but fun. Highs I would like clear, not distorted and a little warm.

There's not a big price difference between them, so I can get a new pair of X1's or try something new. The AKG's are cheaper than the X1's.

Would you say the AKG pro's would be better than the X1's for this?

Bumping this Q if anyone has any info or opinion

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #39,188 of 48,562
Hifiman edition s sound like closed headphones.. I don't know why people say they have a big sound stage..dt770 16ohm have a big better soundstage..one thing I do like about the hifiman is they are clean sounding and that's about it..i have just ordered a new set of pads for my beyers and are sending the hifimans back..i still think that the beyer dt770 16ohms are the best easy to drive gaming headphones you can get!

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #39,191 of 48,562
So what's everyone's verdict on Windows sonic? I finally tried it on Xbox, after trying it on PC a while ago. It added some artificial soundstage/reverb and a more continuous spectrum across left to right. Like adding a center channel to a 2 channel set up. I was hoping on Xbox there might be more games using it but guess not.

Not surprising as developers need to integrate object based audio into their game for it to work. Although for "fake" headphone surround (i.e. lacking individual 5 channel mix), SBX still sounds better to me.

Anyone know if any developers planning on integrating Windows Sonic like Overwatch with Atmos? Or is this a dead end?

I wouldn't mind a shift to true (free) object based audio in games.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #39,192 of 48,562
I just tried the DX Clip-on mic. Even when I hold it up to my face it's not picking up anything I say. Did the quality just drop from the original review?

Edit: Either drivers or the motherboard messed up. One of the microphone ports was picking up as line-in. Tried a less...convenient one and it picks up now.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #39,194 of 48,562
So what's everyone's verdict on Windows sonic? I finally tried it on Xbox, after trying it on PC a while ago. It added some artificial soundstage/reverb and a more continuous spectrum across left to right. Like adding a center channel to a 2 channel set up. I was hoping on Xbox there might be more games using it but guess not.

Not surprising as developers need to integrate object based audio into their game for it to work. Although for "fake" headphone surround (i.e. lacking individual 5 channel mix), SBX still sounds better to me.

Anyone know if any developers planning on integrating Windows Sonic like Overwatch with Atmos? Or is this a dead end?

I wouldn't mind a shift to true (free) object based audio in games.

It's still new so it will take a bit until devs do something with it.

I just tried the DX Clip-on mic. Even when I hold it up to my face it's not picking up anything I say. Did the quality just drop from the original review?

Edit: Either drivers or the motherboard messed up. One of the microphone ports was picking up as line-in. Tried a less...convenient one and it picks up now.

You probably got a defective one

612pro or 712pro

Both....but I would go K712 myself

Users who are viewing this thread

Back