Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 4, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #37,337 of 48,578
If I may offer some words of wisdom. If I've learned anything, nobody truly wants something unless they're willing to pay full price for it. Applies to just about anything and everything. Keep that in mind for next time before impulsively buying things you don't need or even want.

Edit: To add, there will always be another sale. :D

Haha, good advice. By the time the next sale comes around I probably hadn't played he game yet anyways. I just invest most of my time in multi-player games, so all the single player games I want to play take a backseat.

Dec 4, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #37,338 of 48,578
Well now you have a reason to! As for FFXV, pretty good so far. Not too thrilled about the fetch quest side missions. They are almost Dragon Age Inquisition bad.
It should feel right at home for you then, especially the floor levels. You progress upwards on Let it Die rather than down like Necropolis.
It's actually way better than the demos suggest. But yeah, fetch quests galore as I just mentioned. Just skip em, not required. The story, which is much better than I anticipated, does get linear about half way through from what I've read. You're doing yourself no justice as a fan by skipping this just because it's open world. I don't like linear games that require you to replay a whole chapter if you missed anything, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying Last of Us.

Edit: I swear, you're a worst Negative Nancy than I am. Haha. We some disgruntled Hispanics haha.

When half the game is spent doing a whole bunch of nothing with your boy band in areas full of unnecessary tasks just in order to pad playtime, it's enough to know my money doesn't need to be thrown away. As I said, I have no interest in this game.

Dragon Age Inquisition is a game I played for over 100 hours. I will never make a mistake like that again. I hated the vast majority of that game but pushed through it to see if it got better...it didnt. If reviews are saying theres mostly just side missions like that, I know I'm not wasting money on it.

I'm not being negative. I'm being aware of the things that would undoubtedly make me not have fun with the game.

I especially did not like the combat system, and I know that has not changed from the recent demos. It is so boring and stiff.

Dec 5, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #37,340 of 48,578
Hi all,

After some advice, as looking for an upgrade / change in sound.

I'm currently using the Fidelio X1s (have been for over a year and a half) with an epiphany acoustics EHP - O2 amp running dolby headphone through the Asus Xonar DGX - I love the set up and the headphones but after something new now.

Been looking at the DT 880 Pros (250 Ohm) or the DT 990 Premiums (250 Ohm) as they're quite cheap in the UK at the moment, but not sure how much of a change these would be, or if it'd even be worth it.

Wondering if anyone who has used both (or all three) can chip in and let me know if they're a worthy upgrade or change? Any other recommendations are welcome also.

Cheers!

Dec 5, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #37,341 of 48,578
Hi all,

I'm currently using the Fidelio X1s (have been for over a year and a half) with an epiphany acoustics EHP - O2 amp running dolby headphone through the Asus Xonar DGX - I love the set up and the headphones but after something new now.

Been looking at the DT 880 Pros (250 Ohm) or the DT 990 Premiums (250 Ohm) as they're quite cheap in the UK at the moment, but not sure how much of a change these would be, or if it'd even be worth it.

Wondering if anyone who has used both (or all three) can chip in and let me know if they're a worthy upgrade or change? Any other recommendations are welcome also.

Cheers!
The Dt990 are pretty good but I don't think it's really an upgrade unless your looking for more treble. IMO the x1 sounds better than the other two.

Dec 5, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #37,342 of 48,578
That's my issue really, googling seems to say the same. I want something different but definitely not something worse 
o2smile.gif

Maybe a better sound card would be a smarter purchase for me, rather than a side grade with the headphones.

Dec 5, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #37,343 of 48,578

I thought the DT990 and Fidelio X1 have roughtly the same type of sound (strong bass/treble)?
The DT880 is a more balanced sound, towards the bright side.

Dec 5, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #37,344 of 48,578
  That's my issue really, googling seems to say the same. I want something different but definitely not something worse 
o2smile.gif

Maybe a better sound card would be a smarter purchase for me, rather than a side grade with the headphones.

Maybe keep an eye out for a good deal on a used Asus Xonar DX sound card.
As you already have the O2 headphone, you have something at least slightly better then any head amp built into a sound card.
The Xonar DX has a Front Speaker line-ouput jack that just pretends to also be a headphone output, so good for connecting an external head amp to.

Dec 5, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #37,345 of 48,578

Maybe keep an eye out for a good deal on a used Asus Xonar DX sound card.
As you already have the O2 headphone, you have something at least slightly better then any head amp built into a sound card.
The Xonar DX has a Front Speaker line-ouput jack that just pretends to also be a headphone output, so good for connecting an external head amp to.

My current setup is the Xonar DGX to O2 Amp, is the DX a good upgrade here? I currently plug my amp into the green speaker line-out on the card.

Dec 5, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #37,346 of 48,578
  My current setup is the Xonar DGX to O2 Amp, is the DX a good upgrade here? I currently plug my amp into the green speaker line-out on the card.

The Xonar DX is about the best "practical" sound card upgrade.
There are nicer sound sound cards, but they have built in headphone amplifier and if you plug the O2 into their headphone jack, you getting into double amping.
You could plug the O2 into their Front speaker jacks, but then you can't use the sound cards built in headphone surround sound feature,
and you end up spending a lot of money on a sound card for features your not using.
The Creative Labs Titanium-HD is a good sound card for connecting an external amp to, as it can send it's CMSS-3D Headphone surround sound out it RCA (line-output jacks), it's not made any more, so would have to buy it used (eBay)
There is also the older Asus Xonar D2X, no built in head amp and better DAC chip then the Xonar DX.
Titanium-HD or Xonar D2X sell used for around $100, maybe less

The Xonar DGX does have a built in headphone amplifer, but it's not very powerful, so the term "doubling amping" is hard to apply to that situation.

So an Xonar DX (used off eBay) is a good practical buy, as they will sell used for around $50-$60.
So with the Xonar DX/O2 setup, you can look into getting a nicer headphone?

I would try to talk you into getting the Beyerdynamic T90
(used, $275)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/302145606176?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Dec 5, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #37,347 of 48,578
To update, I did just rent FFXV for $3 at Redbox. A few hours in and nothing has changed my mind. It's as tedious and uninspired as I expected it to be.

Dec 5, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #37,348 of 48,578

The Creative Labs Titanium-HD is a good sound card for connecting an external amp to, as it can send it's CMSS-3D Headphone surround sound out it RCA (line-output jacks), it's not made any more, so would have to buy it used (eBay)
There is also the older Asus Xonar D2X, no built in head amp and better DAC chip then the Xonar DX.

This is how I was using my Titanium X-Fi HD with an O2 amp. Plugged into the RCA line out jacks and using CMSS-3D from the card. 

@rabidgamer Since I have the X7 now, I might be getting rid of the X-Fi if you're looking to try something different than Dolby Headphone.

Dec 5, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #37,349 of 48,578
  ATH-AD700X are very easy to drive.

I went ahead and got me the AD700X this past weekend and plugged it to my 2011 Mixamp and I'm impressed with the sound. I only spent $100, leaving me with a bit of extra cash. Is there anything else I can purchase to compliment this setup? Or is this as good as it gets?

Also, what settings should I have on my ps4? I currently have dolby 5.1(BITSTREAM) selected in the settings but I find myself turning off the dolby in my mixamp sounds better. Should I just set it to PCM Linear in the settings?

Dec 5, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #37,350 of 48,578

The Xonar DX is about the best "practical" sound card upgrade.
There are nicer sound sound cards, but they have built in headphone amplifier and if you plug the O2 into their headphone jack, you getting into double amping.
You could plug the O2 into their Front speaker jacks, but then you can't use the sound cards built in headphone surround sound feature,
and you end up spending a lot of money on a sound card for features your not using.

The Xonar DGX does have a built in headphone amplifer, but it's not very powerful, so the term "doubling amping" is hard to apply to that situation.

So an Xonar DX (used off eBay) is a good practical buy, as they will sell used for around $50-$60.
So with the Xonar DX/O2 setup, you can look into getting a nicer headphone?

I would try to talk you into getting the Beyerdynamic T90
(used, $275)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/302145606176?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks for the suggestions, really helpful. With the Xonar DX, would it be a simple case of plugging the amp into the green "Front Out" slot on the card? Also a bit confused by "Front speaker jacks" sorry, by this do you mean the headphone slot on the front of a case for example, or is this something different? :)

This is how I was using my Titanium X-Fi HD with an O2 amp. Plugged into the RCA line out jacks and using CMSS-3D from the card. 

@rabidgamer Since I have the X7 now, I might be getting rid of the X-Fi if you're looking to try something different than Dolby Headphone.

Definitely interested, I'm in the UK though, would shipping be a hassle? Also, I assume the RCA line outs would require a RCA to 3.5mm jack converter, to connect to the O2 amp? Hoping it's as simple as that 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back