Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 4, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #36,661 of 48,578
Oct 4, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #36,662 of 48,578
It doesn't really matter, as long as it can juice up my headphone. :D
alright well my favorite is the creative sound blaster z cards. I currently use my shp9500 for gaming and I know it's very efficient so the amp on these cards will make your headphones loud as hell. The omni is another good option. And if you have no budget I would highly recommend the x7. However if you don't care for surround sound then just get a high quality DAC/amp like the schiit modi 2/magni 2. That's what I currently use.

Oct 4, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #36,663 of 48,578
alright well my favorite is the creative sound blaster z cards. I currently use my shp9500 for gaming and I know it's very efficient so the amp on these cards will make your headphones loud as hell. The omni is another good option. And if you have no budget I would highly recommend the x7. However if you don't care for surround sound then just get a high quality DAC/amp like the schiit modi 2/magni 2. That's what I currently use.

Hmmm... Interesting.. I will look into it. Thanks for the suggestions!

Oct 5, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #36,664 of 48,578
Just wanted to thank you for the great guide!
Just got a great deal on a pair of Fidelio X1s and ordered a V-Moda Boom mic off Amazon.
Looking forward to using them for Rainbow Six: Siege and the upcoming Battlefield 1!

Oct 6, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #36,665 of 48,578
PC373D is about 155€ for the EU guys@Amazon.es

Oct 6, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #36,667 of 48,578
  I decided to go for amp/dac for my AKG K7XX . Dolby headphone would be a nice option. I was looking at some model of Fiio as it is relatively cheap. Any suggestions?

Fiio dacs don't support headphone virtualisation technologies.

Oct 6, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #36,669 of 48,578
Jotunheim

Oct 6, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #36,670 of 48,578
Hmmm... Interesting.. I will look into it. Thanks for the suggestions!

Basically, any of the options you mentioned and were mentioned would work pretty well with the Phillips SPH9500. I'd pick the Sound Blaster X-Fi 5.1 over the Mixamp, less background hiss.
The Omni 5.1 is basically the replacement for the X-Fi you mentioned, the Omni is nice because it puts ports and a physical volume dial on your desk, and you could connect multiple desktop speakers to it too, or if you build up your gear later it has a line-out and a digital out to send surround processed audio out to an amp or a DAC/amp.
The Soundblaster Z will sound super close to the Omni (if you had them side-by-side the Z will seem slightly more revealing), but it takes up a card slot and the ports are then on the back of your computer. And it's not laptop/Mac compatible :wink:
Using the Modi and the Omni as a pure DAC (both connected to the same amp), I couldn't discern a difference in quality, though of course the Omni offers more features. I haven't heard the Modi 2, or the Multibit Modi, so the game might change (hopefully?).
The Schiit Jotunheim that Feg mentioned is higher end, but also quite interesting. I still expect the Creative X7 to be better suited for gamers (surround processing, mic, can connect to console, PC, phone, and Bluetooth at the same time, powered speaker taps, etc), but I haven't heard the Jotunheim and people praise it for it's pure musical capabilities.

I used the Q701 with an Omni and a Z, does fairly well but you might like to cut some of the treble in EQ.

I decided to go for amp/dac for my AKG K7XX . Dolby headphone would be a nice option. I was looking at some model of Fiio as it is relatively cheap. Any suggestions?

How cheap is cheap to go with your deep discount $200 headphones that IMO go toe-to-toe (with a different flavor) with the HD650? I used a FiiO E5 with my similar AKG Q701, but even having never heard better amp I could tell the headphone was being a bit held back. I quite liked the K712 with the E12, and it would probably also be quite good with the new desktop amp from FiiO (replaced the E09k, or maybe put out a Want To Buy ad on the For Sale forum). I probably wouldn't bother wasting money on an amp less than $75, not much benefit in those vs straight out from a phone.

Jotunheim

I need to hear this!

Oct 6, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #36,675 of 48,578
Basically, any of the options you mentioned and were mentioned would work pretty well with the Phillips SPH9500. I'd pick the Sound Blaster X-Fi 5.1 over the Mixamp, less background hiss.
The Omni 5.1 is basically the replacement for the X-Fi you mentioned, the Omni is nice because it puts ports and a physical volume dial on your desk, and you could connect multiple desktop speakers to it too, or if you build up your gear later it has a line-out and a digital out to send surround processed audio out to an amp or a DAC/amp.
The Soundblaster Z will sound super close to the Omni (if you had them side-by-side the Z will seem slightly more revealing), but it takes up a card slot and the ports are then on the back of your computer. And it's not laptop/Mac compatible
wink.gif

Using the Modi and the Omni as a pure DAC (both connected to the same amp), I couldn't discern a difference in quality, though of course the Omni offers more features. I haven't heard the Modi 2, or the Multibit Modi, so the game might change (hopefully?).
The Schiit Jotunheim that Feg mentioned is higher end, but also quite interesting. I still expect the Creative X7 to be better suited for gamers (surround processing, mic, can connect to console, PC, phone, and Bluetooth at the same time, powered speaker taps, etc), but I haven't heard the Jotunheim and people praise it for it's pure musical capabilities.

I used the Q701 with an Omni and a Z, does fairly well but you might like to cut some of the treble in EQ.
How cheap is cheap to go with your deep discount $200 headphones that IMO go toe-to-toe (with a different flavor) with the HD650? I used a FiiO E5 with my similar AKG Q701, but even having never heard better amp I could tell the headphone was being a bit held back. I quite liked the K712 with the E12, and it would probably also be quite good with the new desktop amp from FiiO (replaced the E09k, or maybe put out a Want To Buy ad on the For Sale forum). I probably wouldn't bother wasting money on an amp less than $75, not much benefit in those vs straight out from a phone.
I need to hear this!

Aye captain!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back