Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 7, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #36,676 of 48,583
Been stalling on deciding on what to get for PS4 gaming now for a few weeks.  Had Sony Official Wireless which I didn't like, then Superlux 681Evo and Zalman mic via the controller.  Had a night of sound cutting in and out last night for some reason so Mixamp or Mixamp TR will be coming over the weekend.

Next dilemma is headphones - want something to paid with a V-Moda Boom to reduce cables.  Was all set on the SHP9500 but can't help feel they are overpriced here in the UK (£110 approx).  I can get Beyer Custom One Pro for a similar amount and I'm not a massive fan of the shallow earcups on the 9500.  Are there any others in the this price range I should be considering please?

Thanks.

Oct 7, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #36,677 of 48,583
Been stalling on deciding on what to get for PS4 gaming now for a few weeks.  Had Sony Official Wireless which I didn't like, then Superlux 681Evo and Zalman mic via the controller.  Had a night of sound cutting in and out last night for some reason so Mixamp or Mixamp TR will be coming over the weekend.

Next dilemma is headphones - want something to paid with a V-Moda Boom to reduce cables.  Was all set on the SHP9500 but can't help feel they are overpriced here in the UK (£110 approx).  I can get Beyer Custom One Pro for a similar amount and I'm not a massive fan of the shallow earcups on the 9500.  Are there any others in the this price range I should be considering please?

Thanks.
I'm a huge fan of my newly purchased DT990 PROS. I have it paired with an older astro mix amp. I hated the new mixamp TR. The sound is very tinny and sounds very processed in SS. Just my opinion. Honestly I was a huge fan of the Hyper x cloud 2. Paired with my mix amp they are my number 2 headphones. But I play single player games. I owned both the Ad700x and the senheizer 598s. Both were great for FPS. But just wasn't what I wanted. I want immersion gaming, no need for foot steps. *edit* I just realized these may not be in your price range but these are some of my personal suggestions for my type of Gaming I apologize if I wasn't much help. I spent so much time trying to pick a good pair of headphones to go with my PlayStation 4 and my Astro MixAmp I am finally happy with what I have.

Oct 7, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #36,678 of 48,583
I just ordered the Shure Alcantara pads. You convinced me Mad.

Oct 7, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #36,679 of 48,583
I'm a huge fan of my newly purchased DT990 PROS. I have it paired with an older astro mix amp. I hated the new mixamp TR. The sound is very tinny and sounds very processed in SS. Just my opinion. Honestly I was a huge fan of the Hyper x cloud 2. Paired with my mix amp they are my number 2 headphones. But I play single player games. I owned both the Ad700x and the senheizer 598s. Both were great for FPS. But just wasn't what I wanted. I want immersion gaming, no need for foot steps. *edit* I just realized these may not be in your price range but these are some of my personal suggestions for my type of Gaming I apologize if I wasn't much help. I spent so much time trying to pick a good pair of headphones to go with my PlayStation 4 and my Astro MixAmp I am finally happy with what I have.

Thanks - appreciated.  I had a Mixamp TR on my XB1 for a while and it did sound more processed athough I managed to play around with the settings to improve it a bit - it may be I get the previous generation Mixamp - not sure yet.

Problem with most of the headphones you mention is I think I've had to go the ModMic route and I'd rather go with the VModa Boom purely for less cables.

Pretty sure my choices for now will be Beyer Custom One Pro or Phillips SHP9500 (Hyper X Cloud still possible though) - unless I *shudder* get a wireless set like the Lucidsound LS30 or new Astro A50s.  Thing is I'm pretty sure I won't enjoy those as much sonically despite them being more convenient.  Decisions, decisions :) 

Oct 7, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #36,680 of 48,583
Buy the Custom One Pros and swap the earpads for velour ones.

Oct 7, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #36,681 of 48,583
Hey guys,

I'm at a headphone shop in Pittsburgh with TONS of different high end headphones, trying to get local people up for a meet so we can discuss and such. A mini RMAF, without the tent! Making twitter posts, search for #Headphile.

I'm loving these Focal (pronounced Fo-Cal) Listen headphones, and they have a removable headphone cable.

Good closed headphone contender for $300! My bald spot wishes for more headband padding, but the Earpads are actually pretty plush and feel great for closed headphones, good isolation and I bet that the pads get even more comfy as they break in. Would totally pick these over Oppo PM-3 which I felt were a little too mild on the bass.

You guys think this might work with the BoomPro? I don't have a BoomPro, but I feel like the cut out towards the front would help:

Here's the Listen with the "wrong" end of the standard V-Moda cable plugged in. Maybe since the 45° connector fits, more chance for the BoomPro cable?

Interesting side note: the Listen's cable also has a 45° plug for the input side. And shiny chrome

Oct 7, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #36,682 of 48,583
If the BoomPro doesn't work on its own, it will with a 3.5mm iPhone adapter (the one used back in times when apple products had recessed inputs)

Oct 7, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #36,683 of 48,583
Look what I did!

Doesn't look great (the padding doesn't fit all the way around the Listen's already padded headband), but it FEELS awesome! Also, COP vs Listen... well I know the Listen is $300, but the presence and bass and insight is SO much better! Damn, first headphone I picked up and I'm falling in love.

Oct 8, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #36,685 of 48,583
I just ordered the Shure Alcantara pads. You convinced me Mad.

Let me know how they work out for you. And for which headphones.

Oct 8, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #36,686 of 48,583
It's not like I have a dozen different pairs to try them on.

Oct 8, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #36,688 of 48,583
Following on from my previous post - looks like Beyer Custom One Pro are most likely for me, unless I can stretch to the Fidelio X2.  Have found the Sennheiser G4me One for a very similar price to the Beyer - not worried about the permanent mic as these will be used for gaming only but doe they compare favourably to the Beyer?

Oct 8, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #36,689 of 48,583
Following on from my previous post - looks like Beyer Custom One Pro are most likely for me, unless I can stretch to the Fidelio X2.  Have found the Sennheiser G4me One for a very similar price to the Beyer - not worried about the permanent mic as these will be used for gaming only but doe they compare favourably to the Beyer?

I was listening to the Custom One Pro last night... I wasn't too impressed, and I have a suspicion that the Creative H7 might perform similarly. I brought my H7 with me to compare directly, and I'll listen to the COP plus too. I already preferred the old DT770 32 Ohm over the COP.

Oct 8, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #36,690 of 48,583
Don't forget that Beyer drivers and cups are intercompatible so it won't be too hard to swap the COP drivers for some better ones and keep the customizability (and mic add-on) of the stock cop. That's the route I plan to take as soon as my budget recoups from the cost of a new PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back