Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 1, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #36,646 of 48,583
You keep telling everyone how great the 1540 pads I might buy one pair fir myself.

Oct 1, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #36,647 of 48,583
I mean, I really like them as a leather pad replacement to whatever it can fit on. M50s, HE400, and I assume much more. I feel like getting another pair myself, but I honestly hardly use my HE400 as is, and I'm completely spoiled by the LCD-2 leather free pads in comfort. Comfort is too much of a priority for me, and the 1540 pads effectively functions like a leather pad in terms of heat build up(though without the icky, sticky feeling on skin contact).

Oct 1, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #36,648 of 48,583
Just wondering if I could get some input on surround processors... I play on a PS4, will be upgrading to the Pro in November. I currently use a 2013 Mixamp double amped with an O2 driving a pair of AKG 712 Pro. I want to see if the new Mixamp TR is better - or maybe even the X7? Trying to find an upgrade for multiplayer - lower noise floor, better positional cues, little cleaner set up (cables), etc. Thanks!

Oct 2, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #36,649 of 48,583
Just wondering if I could get some input on surround processors... I play on a PS4, will be upgrading to the Pro in November. I currently use a 2013 Mixamp double amped with an O2 driving a pair of AKG 712 Pro. I want to see if the new Mixamp TR is better - or maybe even the X7? Trying to find an upgrade for multiplayer - lower noise floor, better positional cues, little cleaner set up (cables), etc. Thanks!

Only viable upgrade currently available over the mixamp is the X7. The G5 is also an option, but no surround on console.

Oct 2, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #36,650 of 48,583
Only viable upgrade currently available over the mixamp is the X7. The G5 is also an option, but no surround on console.

Do you feel the X7 processes surround better than the latest Mixamp TR?  I have an amp I'm happy with already for my 712's, I would most likely sell it if I went with the X7 but I'm really trying to see if there is any better processing for multiplayer than what's in my 2013 mixamp.  I don't mind the X7 price but I would only be using it for multiplayer PS4, no really music listening as I have a completely different rig for that.

Oct 2, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #36,653 of 48,583
Do you feel the X7 processes surround better than the latest Mixamp TR?  I have an amp I'm happy with already for my 712's, I would most likely sell it if I went with the X7 but I'm really trying to see if there is any better processing for multiplayer than what's in my 2013 mixamp.  I don't mind the X7 price but I would only be using it for multiplayer PS4, no really music listening as I have a completely different rig for that.

Some might argue over whether SBX is superior to DH for positional accuracy, but the DAC is just so much better in the X7 as compared to the mixamp that it makes the sound clearer by an easily discernible margin. I sold my mixamp 2013 and matrix m-stage for my x7 on my gaming rig and haven't looked back; it was a huge upgrade to my ears.

Oct 3, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #36,654 of 48,583

Despite what Earfonia's review will lead you to believe, the X7 is great for gaming (earfonia just didn't test it for gaming). The O2 is indeed pretty decent, not required when you have an X7 but you can hook up other amps or even DACs to the X7 (so you could combine your music and gaming rigs if you wanted).

Oct 3, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #36,655 of 48,583
Thanks - sounds like SBX is at least as good as the DH in the Mixamp. And I certainly don't doubt the X7's DAC is superior... So I'll pick up the X7 on Amazon and see how much it livens up my 712 Pro's. Hopefully I find some advantage/improvement over my 2013 Mixamp/O2 combo in my FPS multiplayer games as well. Thanks for the info.

Oct 3, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #36,656 of 48,583
I'm gonna post here in hopes that someone can help me:

Hey guys, I'm wondering what is the cheapest way to get Dolby Headphone on these cans. I'm really not an audiophile and mainly bought these headphones because a lot of people said the soundstage was great and that was my main reason to buy them. So far I've been using them with Razer Surround Sound software and a basic FiiO E02i amp that a friend gave me just to get a bit more volume.

I'm looking for two things, firstly to get Dolby Headphone sound and secondly to increase the volume/soundstage to get a little bit more out of these headphones, I know there is potential in them that I have not unlocked but I don't have that much money for a proper amp setup to go with them.

So far I'm looking at getting the ASUS Xonar U3 amd/dac combo as $40 matches my budget and it has Dolby Headphone.

My question is this, is the Dolby Headphone in this USB soundcard the same as the Dolby Headphone in other high end soundcards? Am I gonna be missing something?

And also, would this be enough to drive the AKG Q701's? At least at the same volume that I get with the FiiO E02i?

Please help me as I am not really an audiophile and my knowledge in this area is very limited, I just want to get the best directional audio and decent volume as connecting the Q701's directly to my PC makes them sound too low for me.

Another alternative I'm considering getting is the Xonar DG

Please help me

Oct 3, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #36,657 of 48,583
I'm gonna post here in hopes that someone can help me:

Hey guys, I'm wondering what is the cheapest way to get Dolby Headphone on these cans. I'm really not an audiophile and mainly bought these headphones because a lot of people said the soundstage was great and that was my main reason to buy them. So far I've been using them with Razer Surround Sound software and a basic FiiO E02i amp that a friend gave me just to get a bit more volume.

I'm looking for two things, firstly to get Dolby Headphone sound and secondly to increase the volume/soundstage to get a little bit more out of these headphones, I know there is potential in them that I have not unlocked but I don't have that much money for a proper amp setup to go with them.

So far I'm looking at getting the ASUS Xonar U3 amd/dac combo as $40 matches my budget and it has Dolby Headphone.

My question is this, is the Dolby Headphone in this USB soundcard the same as the Dolby Headphone in other high end soundcards? Am I gonna be missing something?

And also, would this be enough to drive the AKG Q701's? At least at the same volume that I get with the FiiO E02i?

Please help me as I am not really an audiophile and my knowledge in this area is very limited, I just want to get the best directional audio and decent volume as connecting the Q701's directly to my PC makes them sound too low for me.

Another alternative I'm considering getting is the Xonar DG

Please help me

Dolby headphone implementation does not differ between different devices. Go for Xonar DG.

Oct 4, 2016 at 2:39 AM Post #36,658 of 48,583
Just have to make sure you set the Dolby Headphone room mode to 2 if you want the general DH. You'll find it in the software's control panel. DH-1 sound less procesed but not as spacious, and DH-3 is way too echo-y and synthetic. DH-2 is a good trade off, and what most devices like the Mixamp used for years.

Newer soundcards I don't think have Dolby headphone rooms, but a slider. I'd assume something like 50-60% on the surround slider is the rough equivalent of DH-2. I don't own any of these newer devices, so not sure.

Also make sure that on the playback devices (by right clicking the speaker icon on the task bar), you have your speakers set to 5.1/7.1.

Oct 4, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #36,659 of 48,583
Quick question,

Right now im loving my SHP9500S + v-moda mic, but i feel the sound is not loud enough. Was considering to get a Mixamp or Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro.
I will be just using the pc. Any thoughts? or are there better solutions?

Oct 4, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #36,660 of 48,583
Quick question,

Right now im loving my SHP9500S + v-moda mic, but i feel the sound is not loud enough. Was considering to get a Mixamp or Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro.
I will be just using the pc. Any thoughts? or are there better solutions?
Are you looking for external sound cards only or does that not matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back