Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 10, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #36,511 of 48,562
Did some research on the internal architecture of the Mixamp. It seems that bypassing the internal amp is not only doable but not that difficult. Let's take a look.

Images are blurry but the AKM logo is clearly visible. Moreover, by applying CSI-level image enhancement techniques (commonly known as crop and squint) we can conclude that the final digits of the product number are 86 followed by letters VT. There is only one AKM chip with those letters in that order and that chip is AK4386VT DAC.
http://www.akm.com/akm/en/file/datasheet/AK4386VT.pdf

Pins 10 and 11 are right and left channel analog output respectively. These are 2V so pretty much line-level output. I don't know whethere these can be directly soldered to a jack for a true line-out but This is interesting enough to investigate. If anybody here has any experience with DAC-building, SMD components and such please weigh in. True line-out for the Mixamp (not the noisy Stream Out port) would be helpful.

Does not look like the chip is intended to be used directly as a line out. There is no mention about short circuit protection and esd protection.
They mention 25pF max load capacitance. This is very low because 1 foot audio cable will probably exceed this maximum. Not to mention all the other parasitic capacitance.
If you want to try it you need to add a large capacitance in serie with the output signals to block the dc output voltage. Otherwise if the amplifier you will use does not have a dc block you can damage your headphones.

If you want to modify the mixamp to have a line out I would look at the following possibility: use the digital I2S signals that go to the AK4386VT and connect them to a spdif transmitter. This way you create a mixamp with a digital output that you can connect to any optical dac. Something like this might work http://m.ebay.com/itm/112049871117

It is just an idea. I have not looked into this idea.

Sep 10, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #36,512 of 48,562
Does not look like the chip is intended to be used directly as a line out. There is no mention about short circuit protection and esd protection.
They mention 25pF max load capacitance. This is very low because 1 foot audio cable will probably exceed this maximum. Not to mention all the other parasitic capacitance.
If you want to try it you need to add a large capacitance in serie with the output signals to block the dc output voltage. Otherwise if the amplifier you will use does not have a dc block you can damage your headphones.

If you want to modify the mixamp to have a line out I would look at the following possibility: use the digital I2S signals that go to the AK4386VT and connect them to a spdif transmitter. This way you create a mixamp with a digital output that you can connect to any optical dac. Something like this might work http://m.ebay.com/itm/112049871117

It is just an idea. I have not looked into this idea.

That's an even better idea but ideally the S/PDIF output would not require dedicated power.

Sep 11, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #36,513 of 48,562
Yeah, I meant that they should release a PC version of it since I noticed that the editions of Infinite Warfare that include the CoD4 remaster are conspicuously console-exclusive.

I think that's just a case of "for now."

They've been releasing all their games on PC lately, I highly, HIGHLY doubt the remaster won't be released later down the line. Probably once the game is sold seperately. Remember this, Activision pre-order exclusives are time locked. Like Nuketown dlcs that were released for a price later, etc.

Sep 12, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #36,514 of 48,562
I feel I've had long enough with the Cloud 2s to give an impression (though I suspect there is limited interest in them on this thread). I won't be covering the mic quality as there are examples on Youtube and I personally did not use the supplied USB soundcard (though it may come in handy one day). I'll be using limited audiophile lingo as it would feel like I'm reading translations from a phrasebook.

As a gaming headset, I totally understand its popularity. Build quality, as you may know is very impressive for such a relatively inexpensive headset. The comfort is pretty good (not as comfortable as my K240 MKiis), though as is expected with closed back cans they make your ears pretty warm/hot. My ears are approximately two and three quarter inches long and approximately two inches wide (I'm not sure where they fall in the spectrum of human ear size, but I'm guessing medium large) and I feel that I'm at the upper limit of ear size that these will accommodate comfortably.

Bear in mind that I have limited headphone expereience to draw on for comparison, but I do have ears and have had them for as long as I can remember, so I do know what sounds are supposed to sound like.

I have heard both the K240 MKii and the Cloud 2 referred to as being neutral. They are both very different, so I can only conclude that these opinions come from people with different ideas of neutrality. To me, I would say that the K240 MKiis have a more natural and neutral sound, though at the volume I prefer to listen (fairly low) the bass could be a tad stronger.

I've spent most of my time using the leatherette earpads. The overall sound is punchy and dynamic. While the bass is strong (I personally feel it could do with a touch less) it never seems to obscure other frequencies and has a lot of detail. When I tried the velour pads, this seemed to reduce the bass amount to a level I found more pleasing, however it seemed to take some of the detail with it.

The mids and highs are very clear and crisp, though they are a tad hard sounding and there seems to be a touch of sibilance. As a headset for gaming (and movies too), these traits are great as you have good/great bass for rumbles and explosions and the slightly hard edged mid and treble frequencies really help you locate enemies. It is these same traits that detract from them for music listening in my opinion. S sounds can be a tad sharp and vocals generally seem to lack smoothness and warmth. Instruments and/or other sounds at particular frequencies seem to be too prominent and not sit well in the mix. The K240s on the other hand, everything sounds pretty well balanced. The K240s however don't seem to be quite as dynamic or lively which make them an easier listen (less fatiguing) but not quite as exciting.

I'm glad I picked up the Cloud 2s as they offer a different experience from the K240 MKiis. I also needed a closed back headphone for when I need the isolation they provide (neighbours doing D.I.Y or mowing their lawn etc). As a gaming headset, I really think they offer good value for money, though I personally wouldn't recommend them for music alone.

Sep 12, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #36,515 of 48,562
So, should we put those in the Virtual Surround Gamer Starter Pack?

Sep 12, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #36,517 of 48,562

The wha?

Dunno, like a budget recommendation for newcomers. Somebody comes in to this thread and asks for a recommendation without extensive knowledge on the subject we just direct them to these headphones.

Sep 12, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #36,519 of 48,562

Dunno, like a budget recommendation for newcomers. Somebody comes in to this thread and asks for a recommendation without extensive knowledge on the subject we just direct them to these headphones.

Yeah, I'd definitely give them the thumbs up for that. They're leaps and bounds better than my old PX-21 headset and trades blows with the K240 MKiis (which are more expensive at Amazon UK and are generally well received by audio enthusiasts).

Sep 13, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #36,520 of 48,562
Hey guys, need a little help. I'm looking for a new headphone for gaming, movies, and music. I currently use AKG K702 65th Anniversary, and I love them. They're awesome for serious FPS gaming. I am looking for a more "fun" sound signature, and I'm willing to lose some of the details I currently get with my Annies. I want strong detailed bass with a warm sound signature. I have a Schiit Magni for amplification, and also wouldn't mind using my LG V10 if possible.

I'm guessing my budget is up to $400, but if I can get something under that, I'd be happy. I have a few in mind, but would love to hear from the gang. Thanks in advance!

Sep 13, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #36,521 of 48,562
Did anyone ever end up trying the Turtle Beach - Elite Pro Tactical Audio Controller? It supposedly supports 7.1 with DTS headphone x which is different than dolby digital surround and is supposed to be better. I was looking around for something different yesterday and found it on amazon for like 130 dollars used.

https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Beach-Controller-Superhuman-playstation-4/dp/B01EM9PMO8/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1473779346&sr=1-1&keywords=Turtle+Beach+-+Elite+Pro+Tactical+Audio+Controller

I recently acquired the Audio technica ATH-AD700 and while the accuracy is amazing compared to what I had, it's left me with upgraditis (currently using mixamp for gaming)

Sep 13, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #36,522 of 48,562
Did anyone ever end up trying the Turtle Beach - Elite Pro Tactical Audio Controller? It supposedly supports 7.1 with DTS headphone x which is different than dolby digital surround and is supposed to be better. I was looking around for something different yesterday and found it on amazon for like 130 dollars used.

https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Beach-Controller-Superhuman-playstation-4/dp/B01EM9PMO8/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1473779346&sr=1-1&keywords=Turtle+Beach+-+Elite+Pro+Tactical+Audio+Controller

I recently acquired the Audio technica ATH-AD700 and while the accuracy is amazing compared to what I had, it's left me with upgraditis (currently using mixamp for gaming)

There is a youtube video on it where it shows the TAC being compared to others like Dolby Headphone.....

But it sounds like crap to my ears lol

Sep 13, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #36,524 of 48,562
There is a youtube video on it where it shows the TAC being compared to others like Dolby Headphone.....

But it sounds like crap to my ears lol

I looked it up on youtube and I think I found the same video, you're absolutely right. The TAC was lacking in bass which is good for competitive gaming but I noticed it didn't increase the sound of footsteps and instead they were harder to hear. Oh well, thanks for the response.

Sep 13, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #36,525 of 48,562
Hey guys, need a little help. I'm looking for a new headphone for gaming, movies, and music. I currently use AKG K702 65th Anniversary, and I love them. They're awesome for serious FPS gaming. I am looking for a more "fun" sound signature, and I'm willing to lose some of the details I currently get with my Annies. I want strong detailed bass with a warm sound signature. I have a Schiit Magni for amplification, and also wouldn't mind using my LG V10 if possible.

I'm guessing my budget is up to $400, but if I can get something under that, I'd be happy. I have a few in mind, but would love to hear from the gang. Thanks in advance!

I was thinking the Fostex TH-X00, Fidelio X1 (or X2 if the bass is still strong), Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro, or anything else you guys may recommend. Saw MLE listed the HiFiMan 400 (but he changed to NVM). Really want a different, complementary sound to the Annie's. I'm not crazy about them for rock music. MLE, I've bought a few headphones through your guide and was really happy and got what I expected. Hoping the group can help once again. Hopefully next year once I'm working full time again, I'll buy an endgame headphone setup. Really want something fun for the games coming out this fall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back