Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 15, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #36,542 of 48,566
The problem isn't the mixamp(not entirely at least). ModMic requires 5V of power for proper operation which Mixamp does not provide afair. Either use a different mic or a mic preamp.

I don't believe I've ever seen a dedicated mic preamp with 3.5mm inputs. It was my understanding that any device with a 3.5mm mic input should provide the required power.

Sep 15, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #36,544 of 48,566
Damn astro making us have a mixamp for each console.

I think part of the problem is that, despite Astro selling the Mixamp on its own, they tailor the mic input sensitivity to that of their own mic. I'm not entirely sure but I thought the new TR Mixamp allows you to adjust the sensitivity/boost in the software whereas with the older ones, if your mics sensitivity is low compared to Astro's own mic then the output will be lower than is desirable.

Sep 15, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #36,545 of 48,566
I think part of the problem is that, despite Astro selling the Mixamp on its own, they tailor the mic input sensitivity to that of their own mic. I'm not entirely sure but I thought the new TR Mixamp allows you to adjust the sensitivity/boost in the software whereas with the older ones, if your mics sensitivity is low compared to Astro's own mic then the output will be lower than is desirable.

I tried with modmic and sennheiser one mic.
It has a noite gate. Is set to streaming. Wich is the one u hear more

Sep 15, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #36,546 of 48,566
On my pc the modmic is great.
Maybe I need a pre amp.. Any cheap and good?
But with my sennheiser game one the 50ohms that mic still só Low as well.

PC input usually provides the required power (except for laptopts with trrs connecttions)

I don't believe I've ever seen a dedicated mic preamp with 3.5mm inputs. It was my understanding that any device with a 3.5mm mic input should provide the required power.

Electret microphones (such as the ModMic) require 5V power input (ModMic uses the second pin of the TRS plug for that) in order to power the amp inside the capsule. Regular mic inputs on motherboard soundcard usually provide those. Only devices that have problem with powering the ModMic are the Mixamp and laptops with combines phones/mic combo jack (most macbooks do that)

Sep 15, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #36,547 of 48,566
PC input usually provides the required power (except for laptopts with trrs connecttions)

Electret microphones (such as the ModMic) require 5V power input (ModMic uses the second pin of the TRS plug for that) in order to power the amp inside the capsule. Regular mic inputs on motherboard soundcard usually provide those. Only devices that have problem with powering the ModMic are the Mixamp and laptops with combines phones/mic combo jack (most macbooks do that)

Im going to try a mixamp pro 2013 amd will see.
What are other options I have?

Sep 15, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #36,548 of 48,566

I have the 2013 version of the mixamp and the mic input is not great either. You can always solder a power supply yourself. 5v can be provided by a USB port, all You need to do is route that power to the second pin of the trs jack on the microphone.

Or do something like this: http://www.subatomicglue.com/mintymic/

Sep 16, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #36,550 of 48,566
I must admit that my mic performance on consoles has been poor since abandoning my PX-21 headset (there may be better mics out there but at least it was hassle free and loud enough).

Between the Mixamp's noise gate problem on PS4 (requiring the PS4 chat cable workaround) and low mic input sensitivity/output volume, the whole thing is a bit of a headache. I so rarely require my mic on console nowadays that it isn't a big issue for me personally (last PS4 game I played with a friend online was Far Cry 4 when it came out), but if I do get into something in future I'm going to be looking for an alternative method.

I already own a couple of SM58s, so I may just end up getting a compatible mixer and a Rode boom arm. The quality should be better than a headset mic, though it will lack the convenience. A lav mic is another possibility, though in the increasingly unlikely event of me needing chat over PS3, I'd be at the mercy of the Mixamp again.

Sep 16, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #36,553 of 48,566
Just an FYI that all BF4 expansions are currently free (for a week) on consoles.

Free as in you can play it this weekend, or free as in you can "buy" them for $0 and play them for as long as you want?

I don't disagree with Yethal, the modmic may simply need phantom power. But I can think of two options to try out:

1.) PS4 settings > Devices > Microphone Gain.
Try turning up the gain a bit, the PS4 plays back the mic so you can hear for yourself how loud you are. (Mic Monitoring!!! <--- inside joke)

2.) I use a separate, USB Mic.
Works great. I tried just plugging a lapel mic straight into the controller's port, it didn't work until I plugged a Mic/Headphone splitter adapter into the controller first. And then, people could hear me but I couldn't hear anyone else, because the chat audio was being piped through the controller port too. I could hear everything when I wired the controller back into my mixer, but then I had a spiderweb of wires everywhere and I gave up. USB mic plugs straight into the PS4, it listens, and all the party chat just plays through the PS4's optical/HDMI. You'd be giving up on the ModMic that way, but OH WELL, better than a Zalman Mic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back