Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 13, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #36,526 of 48,566
I was thinking the Fostex TH-X00, Fidelio X1 (or X2 if the bass is still strong), Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro, or anything else you guys may recommend. Saw MLE listed the HiFiMan 400 (but he changed to NVM). Really want a different, complementary sound to the Annie's. I'm not crazy about them for rock music. MLE, I've bought a few headphones through your guide and was really happy and got what I expected. Hoping the group can help once again. Hopefully next year once I'm working full time again, I'll buy an endgame headphone setup. Really want something fun for the games coming out this fall.

Owned both the K7XX and X00 once upon a time. K7XX are essentially identical to the Annie's. They were good compliments IMO. X00s give you a fun, more intimate sound with gobs of solid bass. K7XX/Annie's give you the wider, "airier" sound with more accurate spatial cues (better for competitive gaming). However after getting used to the X00's sound, you might find that the K7XX/Annie sound too anemic in comparison. I know I did, and I proceeded to sell my K7XX for that very reason. But no doubt in my mind that they're good compliments. X00 is easier to amp/doesn't need it much at all. If the Magni has an output impedance that's less than 3-5 Ohms you should be fine for damping, which helps keep the X00 bass from getting loose. Should be fine with the V10. X00 cable is loooong though so beware. Haven't heard the other headphones you mention.

Sep 13, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #36,527 of 48,566
If you can find it, I say go for the TH-600. Wide soundstage and incredibly fun.

Quote:
I was thinking the Fostex TH-X00, Fidelio X1 (or X2 if the bass is still strong), Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro, or anything else you guys may recommend. Saw MLE listed the HiFiMan 400 (but he changed to NVM). Really want a different, complementary sound to the Annie's. I'm not crazy about them for rock music. MLE, I've bought a few headphones through your guide and was really happy and got what I expected. Hoping the group can help once again. Hopefully next year once I'm working full time again, I'll buy an endgame headphone setup. Really want 1something fun for the games coming out this fall.

Sep 14, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #36,528 of 48,566
I was thinking the Fostex TH-X00, Fidelio X1 (or X2 if the bass is still strong), Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro, or anything else you guys may recommend. Saw MLE listed the HiFiMan 400 (but he changed to NVM). Really want a different, complementary sound to the Annie's. I'm not crazy about them for rock music. MLE, I've bought a few headphones through your guide and was really happy and got what I expected. Hoping the group can help once again. Hopefully next year once I'm working full time again, I'll buy an endgame headphone setup. Really want something fun for the games coming out this fall.

DT990 Pro is like $109 (edit: WAS?) on newegg right now. That's a hell of a great alternative to the Annies. A steal at that price, and I don't see anything with that good a sound quality in the price range. Just be mindful of sizzly treble.

I changed from the HE400, because the HE400 is harder to get now, and probably getting it with the audeze leather-free pads puts you over budget. I'd personally also would try those Fostex X00s or whatever if I were in your shoes, considering my past experiences with similar headphones.

Sep 14, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #36,531 of 48,566
DT990 Pro is like $109 (edit: WAS?) on newegg right now. That's a hell of a great alternative to the Annies. A steal at that price, and I don't see anything with that good a sound quality in the price range. Just be mindful of sizzly treble.

I changed from the HE400, because the HE400 is harder to get now, and probably getting it with the audeze leather-free pads puts you over budget. I'd personally also would try those Fostex X00s or whatever if I were in your shoes, considering my past experiences with similar headphones.

Thanks MLE, I think we have similar tastes in headphones. Your reviews of headphones that I've listened to are similar to mine. Think I'll look at the Dt990 Pro for now (pissed I missed that sale, may call them). Then I'll grab the TH-X00 when they drop on Massdrop.

Just an FYI that all BF4 expansions are currently free (for a week) on consoles.

Thanks for the heads up! I've downloaded most of the expansion stuff for free the past few months. Now I can grab the ones I missed!

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #36,532 of 48,566
Just picked up the 250 ohm DT990 Pro in all black for $129. It's a limited edition, and I love all black headphones.

I really want the purple heart TH-X00, so now I can wait until they drop again. Thanks for the help. I love this guide and all the great people who contribute to it.

Sep 14, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #36,533 of 48,566
Just picked up the 250 ohm DT990 Pro in all black for $129. It's a limited edition, and I love all black headphones.

I really want the purple heart TH-X00, so now I can wait until they drop again. Thanks for the help. I love this guide and all the great people who contribute to it.

"I love this guide and all the great people who contribute to it."

I feel just like the local hen from this clip.

Sep 14, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #36,535 of 48,566
That's awesome, lol. It's the best place to come for advice on gaming cans. As my collection grows, I'll be able to give my opinion to help others.

Just for the record. I realise my contribution to this thread has been relatively very small. My post was feigning pomposity for comic effect :)

Sep 15, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #36,536 of 48,566
Have spent hours going through this superb thread - massive source of info when starting out - thanks to all those that have contributed and given me ideas to consider.  Must admit though that I'm at a crossroads of what to do.

I'm a lounge gamer - sitting about 4 or 5 feet from the TV.  Have owned older Astro Mixamps in the past and also a set of A50s once.  Never been 100% happy with what I had so decided to try something different (on a budget!).  Have started with some Superlux HD681 Evo and a Zalman clip on Mic just connected to the PS4 controller.  Sounds OK but I get occasional drop outs and I know the quality could be better.  I'm pretty happy with the positional audio even in stereo so undecided about whether just to get a DAC/Amp set up or simply a Mixamp TR to go surround audio.  Does the Mixamp offer better quality audio or simply provide the surround processing and therefore sound 'different?

I've also been thinking about changing my headphones to keep cabling simple - maybe some Phillips SHP9500 plus a V Moda Boom Pro?

Finally, to keep things super simple - what about a wireless setup like the Lucidsound LS30 (I have Sony Wireless Stereo already and not convinced on audio quality but they are convenient) - anyone tried the Lucidsounds?

Seems I'm gong around in circles trying to decide.

Thanks in advance.

Sep 15, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #36,537 of 48,566
I have a mixamp tr xbox one edition.
But recently due to battlefield 1 being só bad in xbox one, I pre ordered it for ps4.
With my mixamp I managed to use the it in pc mode, and still use the mic..
But the problem is that no body hears me. Its so Low the sound.
What are the better options for having better mic.
(I use a xbox elite controller in my ps4 with adapter and 3.5 dont work)
My setup
Akg q701
Modmic 4.0
Schiit magni 2.
Mixamp tr xbox one edition

Sep 15, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #36,538 of 48,566

I'm a lounge gamer - sitting about 4 or 5 feet from the TV.  Have owned older Astro Mixamps in the past and also a set of A50s once.  Never been 100% happy with what I had so decided to try something different (on a budget!).  Have started with some Superlux HD681 Evo and a Zalman clip on Mic just connected to the PS4 controller.  Sounds OK but I get occasional drop outs and I know the quality could be better.  I'm pretty happy with the positional audio even in stereo so undecided about whether just to get a DAC/Amp set up or simply a Mixamp TR to go surround audio.  Does the Mixamp offer better quality audio or simply provide the surround processing and therefore sound 'different?

I've also been thinking about changing my headphones to keep cabling simple - maybe some Phillips SHP9500 plus a V Moda Boom Pro?

Your situation sounds similar to mine. I have a wireless Mixamp 5.8 for my PS4 and I use it with the SHP9500/BoomPro combo. I went that route because I didn't want cables running across my living room floor. The Mixamp TR should be great for you since you're only a few feet away from the TV. Personally I think Dolby Headphone is a massive improvement over stereo audio for positional queues but everyone has their own opinion on the topic. The Mixamp TR specifically has EQ profiles that you can set to get the system sounding the way you want so it should be an improvement over the controller.

Sep 15, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #36,539 of 48,566
I have a mixamp tr xbox one edition.
But recently due to battlefield 1 being só bad in xbox one, I pre ordered it for ps4.
With my mixamp I managed to use the it in pc mode, and still use the mic..
But the problem is that no body hears me. Its so Low the sound.
What are the better options for having better mic.
(I use a xbox elite controller in my ps4 with adapter and 3.5 dont work)
My setup
Akg q701
Modmic 4.0
Schiit magni 2.
Mixamp tr xbox one edition

The problem isn't the mixamp(not entirely at least). ModMic requires 5V of power for proper operation which Mixamp does not provide afair. Either use a different mic or a mic preamp.

Sep 15, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #36,540 of 48,566
Can't you just plugin a Zalman Mic into the DS4 port? I don't use voicecom on consoles though so maybe that Zalman thing is nasty. 

I found a good solution for the wireless woes to be using the RS 185 with a 3 to 1 optical splitter (with remote, draws power through USB thus is plugged into the X7's extra USB port)

optical 1 - X-Fi Titanium Fatality (for OpenAL, CMSS-3D)
optical 2 - X7 which gets the consoles' AC3 from the TV or SBX from the PC via USB 
optical 3 - nothing yet

this way I can use the RS 185 for gaming via PC and consoles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back