Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 8, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #36,481 of 48,566
I'm so upset with the PS4 Pro news, I lost sleep today. Seriously. I honestly don't wanna give them my money, but the base PS4 is struggling as is, so I'll trade it in for the Pro. But ugh.

Anyways, all that FPS talk, you all know me. I'll be on CoD Remastered exclusively, as for as online goes. The only online game I need.

I think it was only meant to be a slightly higher end model of the PS4, nothing more... hence the low price. I'll just wait for the PS5.

As for MW Remaster, man did that gameplay bring back memories. Too bad it's stuck behind a paywall... for now, at least.

Sep 8, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #36,482 of 48,566
Btw, how is this 30 day MW Remaster campaign early access going to work? Best Buy has this pre order bonus updated in the physical IW LE description, so it seems it applies to both physical and digital PS4 pre orders. My guess is the pre order needs to be paid for fully in order to receive the code.

Which brings me to ask (and I know this has been discussed before), but has it been confirmed if MWR is a separate game download yet? If so, then I may just buy the Legacy Edition for my nephew as Xmas present. That way when he downloads MWR we both get to play it together. IW will be physical so he'll be free to do what he wants with it (sell, trade in) if he doesn't like it. I have no interest it it other than maybe the campaign.

Sep 8, 2016 at 6:23 AM Post #36,483 of 48,566
CoD4:MW Remaster? PC version or go home, Infinity Ward, and if you actually do go through with that, keep the leaning, mods and dedicated servers. We don't need a repeat of the Modern Warfare 2 fiasco.

Then again, all I really want out of CoD right now is to find all the other BLOPS3 PC players who are willing to get together for some Shadows of Evil runs. Might add the other maps to that once the Season Pass isn't so obscenely overpriced.

This Tech that you did post on your first video was something like sbx-cmss-dolby headphone etc etc...am i right?
Some tech for the sound for vr...And now i am asking if its possible to put this "RealSpace 3D Audio" on a pc(not for vr for normal fps games) and have the advantage of it rather than having sbx-cmss..:/

I've just had a brief glimpse at their website. I think I was right and it needs to be added by the game developer. If you'd like to read more details, check out their site http://realspace3daudio.com/

As I said, I really don't know anything about it. It was just a cool demo that I thought people might find interesting.

See, that's the problem: getting developers to actually care enough to implement this kind of sound mix into their games, even non-VR ones. It seems like only Blizzard cared enough with Overwatch and its implementation of Dolby Atmos for headphones directly in the game engine's software sound mixer.

I should point out that older PC games sounding great on headphones was more of a convenient coincidence than deliberate design. DirectSound3D (and later OpenAL) was just a means of exposing the sound objects in games to the sound card's driver so it could decide where and how to play back those sounds, much the same as Dolby Atmos does for movies today. The quality of your final mix ultimately depended on what your sound card's capable of, relieving the developer of that burden.

Nowadays, though, developers have to actually think that maybe not everyone prefers a surround speaker setup for gaming, and as such make a headphone audio mix that actually handles positioning well. It's not easy, and it could actually sound worse than the usual virtual speaker surround mixes if done wrongly - much like trying to put DX12 or Vulkan in the hands of an inexperienced graphics programmer and expecting them to immediately take advantage of the lower CPU overhead instead of banging their head against the wall just trying to make their code work. Most won't even bother with it.

I'm just glad that the second coming of VR is making developers take it seriously again, even if it has far-reaching benefits outside of VR too. Why not just slip one of these new audio plugins right into the game, even if it's not a VR title? Some are even free to use like Oculus Audio, and many of them just plug right into existing FMOD and Wwise implementations on current game engines. They just have to be willing to spend the development time to do so.

Sep 8, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #36,484 of 48,566
I thought this was interesting–went under the radar. Sony's new headphones support 3D Audio...

The Platinum Wireless Headset, which will be available at a MSRP of 18,000 yen, $159 USD, €179 and £129*4, is a high-end gaming headset that makes games on PS4 come alive with rich and immersive audio. The headset boasts premium construction and materials for extra comfort, as well as enhanced highly positional 7.1 virtual surround sound powered by SIE’s proprietary 3D audio technology. Select PS4 games supporting 3D audio for the headset will deliver surround sound from all directions, including above and below you, for more immersive experiences. The new premium headset also features multi-position, hidden noise-cancelling microphones for clearer chat and is also compatible with PS VR and mobile devices using an included 3.5mm audio cable.

Read more at http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2016/09/07/new-official-ps4-peripherals-announced-includes-new-dualshock-4-ps-camera-and-headset/#dHcuIir41SyF2xvx.99

Sep 8, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #36,485 of 48,566
  I thought this was interesting–went under the radar. Sony's new headphones support 3D Audio...

The Platinum Wireless Headset, which will be available at a MSRP of 18,000 yen, $159 USD, €179 and £129*4, is a high-end gaming headset that makes games on PS4 come alive with rich and immersive audio. The headset boasts premium construction and materials for extra comfort, as well as enhanced highly positional 7.1 virtual surround sound powered by SIE’s proprietary 3D audio technology. Select PS4 games supporting 3D audio for the headset will deliver surround sound from all directions, including above and below you, for more immersive experiences. The new premium headset also features multi-position, hidden noise-cancelling microphones for clearer chat and is also compatible with PS VR and mobile devices using an included 3.5mm audio cable.

Read more at http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2016/09/07/new-official-ps4-peripherals-announced-includes-new-dualshock-4-ps-camera-and-headset/#dHcuIir41SyF2xvx.99

That is pretty interesting. I'll be keeping an eye on that.

Just an aside, did the PS camera ever get official PC drivers? I remember there being talk about it when PS4 launched. Wouldn't surprise me though if they just said that to get people to buy it.

Sep 8, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #36,486 of 48,566
This just reminded me. The old Sony headset did 7.1 virtual surround but as far as I could tell there was no box for decoding it, just a little wireless dongle. That means, either the processor was built into the headphones itself or the PS4 is sending out virtual surround sound directly. That must mean that the PS4 can send out multi-channel audio via USB (which I seem to remember them claiming it couldn't do) or it sends out a virtual surround mix.

This raises a couple of questions. 1) If the virtual surround decoder is built into the headset, why aren't there any other devices that use USB for surround sound? 2) If there isn't a processor built into the headset, aren't Sony being rear orifices by only enabling it for their headset and not any USB headset/DAC?

Sep 8, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #36,487 of 48,566
Select PS4 games supporting 3D audio for the headset will deliver surround sound from all directions, including above and below you, for more immersive experiences.

I'm betting those PS4 games are also the same ones that would support PSVR, since that's where our sort of headphone surround tends to be pushed more heavily. They'd be the sort of games that have the capability baked into the engine, and since it says "select PS4 games", implying not all of them support it, it's safe to say you won't be getting that with existing games.

Whether they're smart enough to apply that to non-PS4 games is another question entirely.

This just reminded me. The old Sony headset did 7.1 virtual surround but as far as I could tell there was no box for decoding it, just a little wireless dongle. That means, either the processor was built into the headphones itself or the PS4 is sending out virtual surround sound directly. That must mean that the PS4 can send out multi-channel audio via USB (which I seem to remember them claiming it couldn't do) or it sends out a virtual surround mix.

This raises a couple of questions. 1) If the virtual surround decoder is built into the headset, why aren't there any other devices that use USB for surround sound? 2) If there isn't a processor built into the headset, aren't Sony being rear orifices by only enabling it for their headset and not any USB headset/DAC?

I know that the PS3's wireless headsets actually needed firmware updates to work properly, which hinted at those sets having their virtual surround processed on the PS3 side of things before being transmitted through the wireless USB adapter.

A typical USB audio device would have no minimum firmware version requirement and just be plug-and-play, but it also wouldn't have virtual surround since stereo is all the PS3 would give over USB.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony did the same thing on the PS4, and knowing Sony, it's rather unsurprising that they'd withhold software features to only work with their own hardware as a selling point.

Sep 8, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #36,488 of 48,566

PS4 does not support multi-channel output via USB. Their virtual surround headsets were just stereo headsets with fake HRTF added in. Sounded terrible.

Sep 8, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #36,489 of 48,566
PS4 does not support multi-channel output via USB. Their virtual surround headsets were just stereo headsets with fake HRTF added in. Sounded terrible.

How can they claim it's 7.1 then? Either it is an extremely misleading product description, Sony are lying about the USB capabilities or they are withholding virtual surround processed console side from anyone that doesn't buy their headset. Whichever way you cut it, it makes Sony look bad.

Sep 8, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #36,490 of 48,566
How can they claim it's 7.1 then? Either it is an extremely misleading product description, Sony are lying about the USB capabilities or they are withholding virtual surround processed console side from anyone that doesn't buy their headset. Whichever way you cut it, it makes Sony look bad.

Because they use a DSP algorithm designed to simulate a 7.1 environment. However they use a 2.0 source. Technically they're not lying.

Sep 8, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #36,491 of 48,566
Because they use a DSP algorithm designed to simulate a 7.1 environment. However they use a 2.0 source. Technically they're not lying.

Think I'm going to email Sony and enquire about it. It isn't made clear on any of the official product descriptions and I just don't see how marketing something that uses a stereo source and applies DSP can not be considered false advertising.

Sep 9, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #36,492 of 48,566
CoD4:MW Remaster? PC version or go home, Infinity Ward, and if you actually do go through with that, keep the leaning, mods and dedicated servers. We don't need a repeat of the Modern Warfare 2 fiasco.

The game is actually being remastered, not just ported from PC. It's a proper remaster. Here I thought you saw the differences. They're pretty significant. Not even the PC version compares.

Oh, you mean you want a PC version of it? I bet a pretty penny that will happen. No way it won't.

Sep 9, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #36,493 of 48,566
The game is actually being remastered, not just ported from PC. It's a proper remaster. Here I thought you saw the differences. They're pretty significant. Not even the PC version compares.

Oh, you mean you want a PC version of it? I bet a pretty penny that will happen. No way it won't.

Infinity Ward be like: challenge accepted.

EDIT: I finally understood why Sony removed the optical out from the PS4 slim. It is all part of the evil plan to sell more Bravias!

- Sony, I have a very expensive *whatever* headset, how do I plug it into my new PS4 slim?
 - No worries kid, just plug it into your TV and everything will be fine and dandy!
 - But...but my TV doesn't have optical out.
 - Well, ours do. And they are really inexpensive.

^True story

Sep 9, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #36,494 of 48,566
Will be posting these "gaming things" to the classifieds tonight or tomorrow. Figure I'd offer to the gamers first pm for info.

Game One
DT990 (600ohm) -detachable cable/boom pro ready
Creative G5

Thanks

Sep 9, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #36,495 of 48,566
I'm using a Mixamp 2011 and my TH-X00s but I can barely get the volume past the channel imbalance before it becomes too loud. This is mainly a problem when playing older (PS2 or earlier) games that don't allow you to adjust the volume levels in-game. If I turned the main volume up higher and used the game/chat volume knob to lower it a bit, would that affect the audio quality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back