Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 24, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #34,756 of 48,565
No. Mine uses THX Tru Studio. Similar enough to SBX, though it was pre-SBX inception. The optical out doesn't pass anything but stereo. I bought this laptop 3 years ago. Just started showing its age, game wise a few month ago. Now I'm missing my M key, lol, though I can obviously still press the nub down, and get my Ms.

Once I replace it, I'm gonna miss that HDMI input, which no other laptops have (other than the same gen M18X R2). Alienware ditched HDMI inputs with the more recent ones, which I think is a mistake.

Perhaps now that external GPUs like the Razer Core are gonna be more of a thing now for laptops, companies will add video inputs on laptops, since eGPUs function better when they don't have to render back to the laptop screen in the same thunderbolt 3 pipeline.

I hate dreading the day this laptop dies. Even if I stopped using it as a daily driver, I could still benefit from the HDMI input on the go for external devices, even if I did have another computer or whatnot.

The screen is a bit mediocre on pixel response time blur though. I want a backlight scanning/black frame insertion/ULMB screen though.

Mar 24, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #34,758 of 48,565
Spania, if you turn off SBX because you think stereo gives you better positional cues, then you're not gonna like Dolby Headphone either. Also, did you make sure, that you confugured 5 speakers (or 7) in the sound devuces option? They're stereo by default, so if you turned on SBX without changing the speakers to 5/7, that's why you're not getting any benefits in SBX.

IT NEEDS TO BE 5 SPEAKERS OR MORE, OR SBX, DOLBY HEADPHONE, ETC WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY.

Also changing the bitrate to something higher than the default (which is usually 16bit/44khz).

Most devices you buy go 24bit/96khz, though with the 5 speaker option, that may be disabled and only allowed up to 24bit/48khz.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply, after changing the bitrate the positional cues were more accurate with SBX Surround enabled than with stereo, and I found the experience more immersive and enjoyable.
I would still like to try 5.1 surround with my Pro 900 cans. Unfortunately for me, the X-FI Go! Pro does not give you the option of a speaker config higher than 2.1 so I think I'm gonna get rid of it and get something else.

Im considering Sound BlasterX G5 and getting an amp later (would I need one?)
Or getting a Omni 5.1 + DAC/amp combo. Any recommendations for amp/dac?

For the record, I don't listen to music on this setup. I exclusively play games.
What do you think? I'm open to any recommendations. My budget is $250 max atm.
Thanks!

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #34,759 of 48,565
Only for games? Buy a cheap external usb one like the Xonar U3 which can feed a Dolby headphone digitally to a decent desktop dac/amp. Talking $20 for the U3, and whatever dac/amp you want with it (maybe a Modi 2/Magni 2?).

The beauty of the U3 is that it's sending just a digital signal, so you can gain all the benefit from your better optical dac and amp. Maybe a Modi 2 (optical) and Magni 2?

That's he Dolby headphone option. I know there is an SBX one that does the same, but I dunno which.

I dunno of any optical dacs that are cheaper except the older Fiio E17, I guess.

Mar 25, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #34,760 of 48,565
Used optical Modi can be had for 50$ on eBay.

Edit: Came across this:

The genius of this solution is overwhelming.

Mar 25, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #34,761 of 48,565
I will have one Philips Dolby Headphone device up for sale soon as I am getting another model of Philips (same performance). Prefer to ship around Europe though. It's unmodded.

Mar 25, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #34,762 of 48,565
  I will have one Philips Dolby Headphone device up for sale soon as I am getting another model of Philips (same performance). Prefer to ship around Europe though. It's unmodded.

Could You post a link to the specs/ product page?

Mar 25, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #34,763 of 48,565
here you go

http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/s/sbchd1500u_05/sbchd1500u_05_dfu_eng.pdf

basically:

2 headphone outputs
DTS and Dolby Digital support
Dolby Pro Logic
Dolby Headphone Room 1,2,3
Night Mode 
etc.

the version I am selling has coax inputs and outputs only though so you need to convert them. I have one converter that is working fine and ensures that DTS/AC3 is unharmed. 

with a few skills you can install a HPA inside there and even line outs that pass the DHP through. I will have one modded as I am not fit enough to do it myself but it's not cheap as the amp parts are around 180€ together. Better do it right and do it only one time. 

Mar 25, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #34,764 of 48,565
Interesting device. Could the same line-out mod be applied to other virtual surround devices?

Mar 25, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #34,765 of 48,565
Technically yes. You could always split the analog signal that goes to the headphone amp part to a line out. 

Like here: 

stuff like X7 would just need a firmware though so the SB-Axx1 can do its damn job. 

Mar 26, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #34,766 of 48,565
I listen music from spotify using ad700. 1st i connect directly to my laptop then switch using ps4->mixamp and suddenly the sound is totally different. so are spotify used in ps4 using different quality or because i used mixamp?

Mar 26, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #34,767 of 48,565
  I listen music from spotify using ad700. 1st i connect directly to my laptop then switch using ps4->mixamp and suddenly the sound is totally different. so are spotify used in ps4 using different quality or because i used mixamp?

Unless You have Premium bought on the laptop and not PS4 (or vice versa), it is much more probable that sound quality between Your builtin soundcard and Mixamp is the reason.

Mar 26, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #34,768 of 48,565
  I listen music from Spotify using ad700. 1st i connect directly to my laptop then switch using ps4->Mix-amp and suddenly the sound is totally different. so are Spotify used in ps4 using different quality or because i used mix-amp?

"Totally different" does not really tell us which sounds better to you.

Also the PS4 has more multiable options in the audio settings, which might effect audio.

Mar 27, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #34,769 of 48,565
After extensive research, debates with myself and a lot of procrastination, I ended up buying some K7XX Red Edition, I feel this was a  total impusle buy and will look to move them on, they are brand new from the first batch.   To cut a long story short, I checked Amazon WH deals this morning and got some Fidelio X2 for £126/$178, just a damaged box, unused phones.  Very happy with this, I don't think I'll bother keeping my Magni now as I'm not an audiophile and will likely not notice the difference.
I also settled for the 2013 MixAmp over the TR.

I read somewhere about the quality of the V-Moda BoomPro cable degrading audio on these phones, but I suspect this again is something I will not notice but others would.

I wasn't that impressed with the DT770, they made my ears really hot and I think I prefer open phones.

Mar 28, 2016 at 2:27 AM Post #34,770 of 48,565
Thought I should share this quote...

Yeah, just sold my X2 and K7XX in favour of this.

You guys need to stop sleeping on the 9500 lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back