Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 22, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #34,741 of 48,566
I am sorry if this is off topic. If I get a DAC and amp with no mixamp, would I set the ps4 audio to linear PCM? I think I read that was the highest quality audio bit I'm still learning so open to educating

Is this an optical input DAC or USB input DAC?

If an optical DAC
Assuming that DAC you get is not designed to work with DDL (Dolby Digital Live),
(DDL is need to be able to send and receive more then 2-channels of digital audio thru optical)
You would not even be able to use the PS4's Dolby ((DDL), for headphone surround sound.
So you would have to leave the PS4's audio to PCM and I would assume also set to 2-channel output.
For USB, setting would be the same.

Mar 23, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #34,742 of 48,566
Are the ad500x the as the ad700x?

Why would Audio technica sell the same headphone twice, at different price ranges? No, they are not the same. They may look identical, but drivers are likely the reason why the AD500X is cheaper.

If the AD500 were the same as the AD700, audiophile gamers everywhere would've been talking about it for years now.

Mar 23, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #34,743 of 48,566
  Is this an optical input DAC or USB input DAC?

If an optical DAC
Assuming that DAC you get is not designed to work with DDL (Dolby Digital Live),
(DDL is need to be able to send and receive more then 2-channels of digital audio thru optical)
You would not even be able to use the PS4's Dolby ((DDL), for headphone surround sound.
So you would have to leave the PS4's audio to PCM and I would assume also set to 2-channel output.
For USB, setting would be the same.

Modi 2 Uber so optical :)  It will be interesting to hear hte differnece between the Astro surround and stereo through the DAC. 

Mar 23, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #34,744 of 48,566
Hy Guys,

This is my first post here and i would like to thank everyone in advance for the help.
This is also a question about a PC Setup and not a console so i hope thats OK.

Well; I wanted to buy a Schiit Modi 2 and Vali 2 to power my Headset. I will only use it for gaming, i Play MOBAs on a regular Basis, many hours every day. I wanted to pair the Schiit stack with either a AKG 701, or AT 700x or perhaps a X2.

How would i get the Micophone to work thru the Schiit stack, or would i have to conect it seperatley to the pc?
If i only have a usb Input into the dac, will i be able to use my surround Sound from the on board Sound Card? I just bought the pc so it has the new G1 Motherboard with the Recon3D Software. What would i have to do to get surround Sound?

I really like the look of the Vali 2, i would like to try that tube amp, but i would be willing to conect it to a different DAC if it means ist easier to get the surround Sound and microphone Input.

Thanks a lot for your help

Mar 23, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #34,745 of 48,566
  Hy Guys,

This is my first post here and i would like to thank everyone in advance for the help.

Well; I wanted to buy a Schiit Modi 2 and Vali 2 to power my Headset. I will only use it for gaming, i Play MOBAs on a regular Basis, many hours every day. I wanted to pair the Schiit stack with either a AKG 701, or AT 700x or perhaps a X2.

How would i get the Micophone to work thru the Schiit stack, or would i have to conect it seperatley to the pc?
If i only have a usb Input into the dac, will i be able to use my surround Sound from the on board Sound Card? I just bought the pc so it has the new G1 Motherboard with the Recon3D Software. What would i have to do to get surround Sound?

I really like the look of the Vali 2, i would like to try that tube amp, but i would be willing to conect it to a different DAC if it means ist easier to get the surround Sound and microphone Input.

You would plug the Microphone directly into the computer.

Mar 23, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #34,746 of 48,566
Since I am (still) in the market for an amp to drive my Beyerdynamic DT990 pro 250 ohms and Philips TX2 IEMs for me it comes down to either the Fiio E12 (my preference) or the Schiit Magni 2 (maybe Uber). The amp will be connected mainly to my AVR, maybe Astro Mixamp, to portable devices (iphone etc.) and to my MacBook and used mainly for gaming and movies but should also be enjoyable with music.

Right now I prefer the E12 route for several reasons: I read it is a good amp and goes well together with my Beyerdynamic headphones, IEMs are not much of a concern for me. The portablity is also a big plus for me since I want to carry it around the house, connect it to different devices. Also I could get the E12 from a local store and really like the looks and size of it.

For me it simply comes down to the question if the Schiit Magni 2 is THAT much better in terms of sound quality to put all the advantages of the E12 aside and still go for the Magni 2 even tough it would be a hassle to order it and maybe return it, if necessary. If they are somewhat on a level playing field I will get the E12, even tough from what I understand the Magni 2 is the better amp.

Any help on this would be much appreciated :)

Any ideas on this? thanks

Mar 23, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #34,747 of 48,566
  Hy Guys,

How would i get the Micophone to work thru the Schiit stack, or would i have to connect it separately to the pc?

You would plug the mic into the on-board audio's line-input (mic) jack, wither you were using the external DAC (Modi) or not.
If you connecting the computer to the DAC, using USB, the sound card features are bypassed.
An optical input DAC would work with the on-board sound card and the Recon3D software.

Mar 23, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #34,748 of 48,566
I really really like Koss porta pro. Actually even sold my brainwavz hm5 because I like how light, comfortable and bassy koss are!

I was just scouting the sub 100$ market and the JAM! got my attention thanks to Your review ML. I did had some creative products before and they were always good. Like CAL!(which I sold because they did not had enough bass and headband was hurting top of my big head) and still have speakers from 2001 (!!!) which they produced with colaboration with cambridge (DT2200 but using as 2.1)

I don't really need new headphones over koss porta pro but I like to know the options. KSC75 is also very interesting but I dont like clip on design all that much i think and some say that 75's have less bass than porta pro.
Creative also has Outlier, wp headphones and Hitz which all looks interesting.
From similar on-ear design, I've tried skullcandy navigator which were too small and didnt fit my head and koss sp330 which are fantastic but too expensive and the headband bends a little much and it looks weak on the extending spots considering the asking price.

Mar 23, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #34,749 of 48,566
First off I want to thank Mad Lust Envy and the Nameless for both their magnificent guides. Reading them was an eye opening experience.
Here's my problem, after the reading and doing research on similar scenarios I couldn't really find any situation like mine, and I would love to hear the advice from the guys in the forum. so here is my case:

Computer hardware
mini-ITX motherboard. Sadly, this means only one PCI slot—populated with the graphics card—so I think I’m stuck with usb options for sound.
I use this computer exclusively for gaming. I play fps mostly (Rainbow 6 siege, Battlefield, CS GO, Overwatch soon..)
I play games 60% of the time competitively and 40 casual. So positional audio is very important for me.
I have been using a X-FI Go Pro as my sound card, but I don’t like it much ( I have all SBX options disabled as I find that the headphones do a better job at giving positioning with them off).

Headphones 
ULTRASOUND PRO 900 with S-Logic Natural Surround Sound Plus
I use them during commute and at the office (with Fiio e11) and for gaming.
These were one of the best choices for my needs from madlust’s guide, and after reading that these cans were killer with dolby headphone I just bought them.

Amp+Dac+Surround device (need advice here)
I don’t know what should I buy here. My budget goes from $100 to $250.
Should I forget about things like dolby headphone and just stick to an amp-dac and let the s-logic do the work? Will that be enough?
Or would it be better to throw in a dolby headphone device too? Maybe the Astro Mixamp pro (found on eBay for around $60)
What do you think of SMSL SD793-II PCM1793 DIR9001 + Astro Mixamp pro for $130? 

Any other thoughts or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Mar 23, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #34,751 of 48,566
Well, the X2's came down so I have just purchased those, still waiting for my DT770's so I can compare the two when they arrive.  Hopefully either of those are as comfortable as the K712's which I could barely feel on my head.  Also, I got a 2013 mixamp as I heard some comparissons and the TR one seems to have a really strong echo/reverb in comparisson and I must agree I thought this when playing the division.

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #34,752 of 48,566
Spania, if you turn off SBX because you think stereo gives you better positional cues, then you're not gonna like Dolby Headphone either. Also, did you make sure, that you confugured 5 speakers (or 7) in the sound devuces option? They're stereo by default, so if you turned on SBX without changing the speakers to 5/7, that's why you're not getting any benefits in SBX.

IT NEEDS TO BE 5 SPEAKERS OR MORE, OR SBX, DOLBY HEADPHONE, ETC WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY.

Also changing the bitrate to something higher than the default (which is usually 16bit/44khz).

Most devices you buy go 24bit/96khz, though with the 5 speaker option, that may be disabled and only allowed up to 24bit/48khz.

Mar 24, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #34,753 of 48,566
Spania, if you turn off SBX because you think stereo gives you better positional cues, then you're not gonna like Dolby Headphone either. Also, did you make sure, that you confugured 5 speakers (or 7) in the sound devuces option? They're stereo by default, so if you turned on SBX without changing the speakers to 5/7, that's why you're not getting any benefits in SBX.

IT NEEDS TO BE 5 SPEAKERS OR MORE, OR SBX, DOLBY HEADPHONE, ETC WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY.

Also changing the bitrate to something higher than the default (which is usually 16bit/44khz).

Most devices you buy go 24bit/96khz, though with the 5 speaker option, that may be disabled and only allowed up to 24bit/48khz.

What happened to your X7? Why are you using 3D Recon?

Mar 24, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #34,754 of 48,566
I'm at work. The Recon 3Di is built in to my laptop. Can't go lugging around an X7. :wink:

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #34,755 of 48,566
I'm at work. The Recon 3Di is built in to my laptop. Can't go lugging around an X7. :wink:

Does it have the same SBX capabilities as the regular Recon? If yes, does it have an optical output?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back