Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 21, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #34,711 of 48,562
  Are you going to give the Ether C a score of out of 10 in each category?

^This is the reason MLE stopped assigning numerical scores. People just looked for a tl;dr version of the review instead of reading the full thing. So no, I don't imagine scores being added to this review anytime soon.

Mar 21, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #34,712 of 48,562
  ^This is the reason MLE stopped assigning numerical scores. People just looked for a tl;dr version of the review instead of reading the full thing. So no, I don't imagine scores being added to this review anytime soon.

But it is nice when you are trying to compare between different headphones, because sometimes the review won't be enough to give someone an idea about the relative headphone performance. A score prevents asking many unnecessary questions sometimes and helps in narrowing down your research.

Mar 21, 2016 at 4:04 AM Post #34,713 of 48,562
  But it is nice when you are trying to compare between different headphones, because sometimes the review won't be enough to give someone an idea about the relative headphone performance. A score prevents asking many unnecessary questions sometimes and helps in narrowing down your research.

Taken from the first paragraph of the guide:
I NEED TO STRESS THIS. DO NOT COMPARE SCORES FROM ONE REVIEW TO ANOTHER. EACH SCORE IS REFLECTING A HEADPHONE'S OWN MERITS, AND NOT COMPARED TO ANOTHER UNLESS I SPECIFICALLY STATE SO.

Mar 21, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #34,715 of 48,562
I take scores out and to not compare, and soon after I get asked to compare and give scores.

I don't think I'll ever win. :D

Mar 21, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #34,716 of 48,562
Need a little help.

I currently have the Sennheiser HD 598's paired with the Sound Blaster Z and they've served me well. I would like to try something new. I'm looking to spend no more than $300 on new headphones. If there aren't many headphones in this price range that will give me a much better experience than the 598's, then tell me so I don't waste my time. I'll probably also get a DAC and AMP sometime soon as well, and I won't be spending more than $400 on those. 

Mar 21, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #34,717 of 48,562
So, what are the expectations around here regarding PS VR? Anyone else curious as to whether it will be a hit or miss? Me, personally, the price is too high to take the plunge right away. But once all the kinks are worked out post-launch, and a price falls to maybe 300, I wouldn't mind trying the VR with my 400i over my ears :D

Then again, that will about 800 grams of weight on my head between the two... yikes

Edit that: The PS VR is 600+ grams alone, so about 1000 grams total with my 400i... double yikes

That... Is a lot of weight. Makes me want a pair of 1964 Ears CIEM even more!

Honestly I probably would get the PS VR for myself at launch, if I wasn't trying to save money right now. Early adopters are needed for an industry to take off, and personally I'm enough enamored with VR that a screen-door effect wouldn't bug me too much. Lower fidelity/realism would especially not bother me if I was playing a horror game... DON'T WANT THOSE TOO REAL!! I just would love a 3D sci-fi flight sim (those tend to be easy to render) or something new in a gaming experience, and also a personal screen. The PS VR ended up being LOWER cost than I expected (and much less for the system than a PC meeting specs to run Occulus Rift), basically the same price as another TV (or less than a 3D TV.

Of course, what I'm most excited about is the potential return of 3D audio! Stereo = 1D line, home theater 7.1 = 2D circle, I want to hear and see that 3D sphere for awesome immersion!

True, we should avoid scores, because how do we account for price:performance, how do we set a baseline for a "5" average headphone, and what happens when a 10/10 headphone is bested by something else, eh?

I will say though, the Ether C offers basically nothing to complain about in soundstage. NOTICABLE improvement over the 'dogs and a Sennheiser anything but HD800 (IMO the Ethers are cleaner) and an excellent sense of space and different position. The C actually has slightly less midbass and slightly more sub bass than the open version, and the C seems to extend soundstage a bit more too.

Mar 21, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #34,719 of 48,562
I take scores out and to not compare, and soon after I get asked to compare and give scores.

I don't think I'll ever win.
biggrin.gif

That's what happens when people just want you to tell them what to buy instead of reading your impressions to let them form an idea of whether or not they would prefer a given model.

Reading and research takes more effort than some people would like.

Honestly I probably would get the PS VR for myself at launch, if I wasn't trying to save money right now. Early adopters are needed for an industry to take off, and personally I'm enough enamored with VR that a screen-door effect wouldn't bug me too much. Lower fidelity/realism would especially not bother me if I was playing a horror game... DON'T WANT THOSE TOO REAL!! I just would love a 3D sci-fi flight sim (those tend to be easy to render) or something new in a gaming experience, and also a personal screen. The PS VR ended up being LOWER cost than I expected (and much less for the system than a PC meeting specs to run Occulus Rift), basically the same price as another TV (or less than a 3D TV.

Of course, what I'm most excited about is the potential return of 3D audio! Stereo = 1D line, home theater 7.1 = 2D circle, I want to hear and see that 3D sphere for awesome immersion!

The irony for me is that the PSVR is MORE expensive for me than the Rift, simply because I don't already have a PS4 while already owning a PC that's more than capable of handling the Rift and Vive adequately.

Maybe that'll change when it picks up enough exclusives or enhanced-over-PS3 releases.

But hey, Ace Combat 7 and No Man's Sky are just the start, and if they could be bothered to port Elite Dangerous to Xbox One, who's to say it won't get a PS4 port later with full PSVR support? Maybe the genre will stop being so PC-exclusive. Maybe.

Actually, if Sony's paying attention, it's time to dust off the ol' Colony Wars franchise for a PS4 reboot. Hey, if they did it with Warhawk on the PS3, why not?

And yeah, maybe we'll start seeing a greater push for object-based 3D audio on consoles as well with this. Might get the PC devs to give us what we once had again, and not just the VR devs.

Mar 21, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #34,720 of 48,562
My husband made some early YouTube vids showing off alpha footage of elite dangerous, really showed off how natural the head movement is in cockpit play. I am looking forward to trying ED with his vive and Rift to compare the 2 as was one of the few games that was not vomit inducing.

Mar 21, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #34,724 of 48,562
  Anyone knows how to pass SBX surround to the Chord Mojo from a Creative G5 or Creative Z cards? Like the ZxR card?

There is a "Headphone Surround to Optical/Line Out" checkbox in the Surround tab. Use a Toslink cable and You'll be set.

Mar 21, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #34,725 of 48,562
  Anyone knows how to pass SBX surround to the Chord Mojo from a Creative G5 or Creative Z cards? Like the ZxR card?

Connect the SB-ZxR's S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) output to the coaxial or optical input on the Chord Mojo.
With the CL G5, you can use the optical connection.

Why not just use the SB-ZxR own built in headphone amplifier?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back