Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 21, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #34,726 of 48,562

Connect the SB-ZxR's S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) output to the coaxial or optical input on the Chord Mojo.
With the CL G5, you can use the optical connection.

Why not just use the SB-ZxR own built in headphone amplifier?

Because the DAC / Amp on the Mojo is way better, and I just need the SBX surround for gaming :)

But isn't the SB ZxR Optical output needs a Decoder to decode the surround sound? otherwise the Optical Out is just 2 channels, not surround

Mar 21, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #34,727 of 48,562

Because the DAC / Amp on the Mojo is way better, and I just need the SBX surround for gaming :)

But isn't the SB ZxR Optical output needs a Decoder to decode the surround sound? otherwise the Optical Out is just 2 channels, not surround

The SB-ZxR takes care of the SBX Headphone surround sound processing, before the digital audio is sent out the S/PDIF (optical/coaxial).
The audio going thru the optical is 2-channel, but it's processed so your ears think you dealing with a 5.1 or 7.1 speaker surround sound.
As your ears only 2-channel stereo input, it only takes two headphone cups to feed surround sound to your ears.

Mar 22, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #34,728 of 48,562
I was just asking whether you're going to add one or not, not asking for one, because I know a lot of reviewers hate associating their opinions with numbers.

I've spoken about it and even added a update in the first page. There will be no more scores, ever again. If people are interested in something, they can read the reviews. Pick the price tier you're interested in, and read the reviews. There are final impressions on reviews, which is a shorter 'cheat' sheet as for how good a headphone is, but no more scores, period.

Mar 22, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #34,731 of 48,562

I can't answer your original question, but I wanted to say that sending a digital DH signal from my computer to the Mojo and then out to a Liquid Carbon makes for an awesome surround gaming setup. If you find a cheap card that can output SBX over optical/coax you'll love it.

Mar 22, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #34,732 of 48,562
Are the ad500x the as the ad700x?

I'm guessing the AD500X have more bass then the AD700X, but the AD700X should equal or better at everything else.

Mar 22, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #34,733 of 48,562

I can't answer your original question, but I wanted to say that sending a digital DH signal from my computer to the Mojo and then out to a Liquid Carbon makes for an awesome surround gaming setup. If you find a cheap card that can output SBX over optical/coax you'll love it.

Yup just bought the Creative G5, it can output SBX through the Optical out 
gs1000.gif
  So far combine with the Chord Mojo, it's the best gaming setup period, better than the X7 by a mile.
The only negative thing about the Mojo is that I have to recharge it every 10hour or so.

Mar 22, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #34,734 of 48,562
in the last 7 days i was doing some amp test with Mixamp and FiiO E11, Fiio E12 Mont Blanc & FiiO E07K, i like more the Mixamp with the Fiio E11,me thinks i found the perfect gaming combo for my Xbox,i was using the HD598,the Fiio E12 Mont Blanc sound pretty good with my ipod and the HD598.

edit: one question in the ipod i have to set the EQ flat or off to use with a fiio amp?

Mar 22, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #34,736 of 48,562
I am sorry if this is off topic. If I get a DAC and amp with no mixamp, would I set the ps4 audio to linear PCM? I think I read that was the highest quality audio bit I'm still learning so open to educating

Yup, Linear PCM is the unaltered two-channel signal

Mar 22, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #34,737 of 48,562
Since I am (still) in the market for an amp to drive my Beyerdynamic DT990 pro 250 ohms and Philips TX2 IEMs for me it comes down to either the Fiio E12 (my preference) or the Schiit Magni 2 (maybe Uber). The amp will be connected mainly to my AVR, maybe Astro Mixamp, to portable devices (iphone etc.) and to my MacBook and used mainly for gaming and movies but should also be enjoyable with music.

Right now I prefer the E12 route for several reasons: I read it is a good amp and goes well together with my Beyerdynamic headphones, IEMs are not much of a concern for me. The portablity is also a big plus for me since I want to carry it around the house, connect it to different devices. Also I could get the E12 from a local store and really like the looks and size of it.

For me it simply comes down to the question if the Schiit Magni 2 is THAT much better in terms of sound quality to put all the advantages of the E12 aside and still go for the Magni 2 even tough it would be a hassle to order it and maybe return it, if necessary. If they are somewhat on a level playing field I will get the E12, even tough from what I understand the Magni 2 is the better amp.

Any help on this would be much appreciated :)

Mar 22, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #34,738 of 48,562
edit: one question in the ipod i have to set the EQ flat or off to use with a fiio amp?

I just turn the iPod's EQ off. Unless I want to use an EQ preset.

Mar 22, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #34,740 of 48,562
Since I am (still) in the market for an amp to drive my Beyerdynamic DT990 pro 250 ohms and Philips TX2 IEMs for me it comes down to either the Fiio E12 (my preference) or the Schiit Magni 2 (maybe Uber). The amp will be connected mainly to my AVR, maybe Astro Mixamp, to portable devices (iphone etc.) and to my MacBook and used mainly for gaming and movies but should also be enjoyable with music.

Right now I prefer the E12 route for several reasons: I read it is a good amp and goes well together with my Beyerdynamic headphones, IEMs are not much of a concern for me. The portablity is also a big plus for me since I want to carry it around the house, connect it to different devices. Also I could get the E12 from a local store and really like the looks and size of it.

For me it simply comes down to the question if the Schiit Magni 2 is THAT much better in terms of sound quality to put all the advantages of the E12 aside and still go for the Magni 2 even tough it would be a hassle to order it and maybe return it, if necessary. If they are somewhat on a level playing field I will get the E12, even tough from what I understand the Magni 2 is the better amp.

Any help on this would be much appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

right now im very happy with this combo Mixamp/E11 plus HD598,i didnt like the sound of the E12 with the mixamp and HD598,i would like to try the Schiit Magni 2 with the Mixamp,maybe next month i`ll buy the Schiit Magni 2,but first i want to buy the Fidelio X2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back