Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 1, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #33,646 of 48,562
Thank you. This is how I figured it as well. However, AFAIU, Mad lust Envy was stating that there is a distinct difference between USB Discrete PCM -> X7 USB input -> SBX Headphone virtualization from X7 headphone output  vs. Optical DD Live bitstream PC output -> X7 optical input -> SBX Headphone virtualization via X7 headphone output.

So, I was merely trying to clarify what is this difference and how does one notice it.

I guess I'll find out, when I get my X7 :-D

Please don't take my word as gospel. I still go back and forth to see if I'm just hearing things. Enjoy the X7 as is. You do NOT need to feed it DD into the optical input if you're a PC gamer. But you may wanna try it, because I'm convinced directionality is pretty obviously better with a DD source as opposed to USB.

As I have said before, it's like the SBX conversion works best with Dolby Digital.

And lol, people are still trying to argue about USB being lossless = better. Clearly not understanding what we are implying.

Jan 1, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #33,648 of 48,562
This probably has more to do with the way Dolby Digital's encoding works as time delay/domain (especially as Laufzeitverzögerung - sorry, don't know the english word -  is very important for localizing audio in the soundfield) and frequency.domain masking are huge factors/motors of the codec.

So while PCM is "truer" to the original audio sample quality Dolby Digital could have the better distinction/directionality based on how its codec works - being a dedicated multichannel/surround codec. 

Jan 2, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #33,649 of 48,562
I am perfectly happy with my Martanz amp/dac. It is end game for me, at my salary. 
BUT I want to build a gaming rig. I want surround sound. 

So I take it I need a surround sound capable card that outputs 7.1 to PCM? Is their cheap surround sound and expensive surround sound? 
I don't need to pay for a top of the line sound-blaster card if I am never using its dac or amp. 

So I I would just run foobar2000 through the USB out and game audio through the PCM both to my Marantz. 

EDIT: I think all I need is a "Dolby Headphone" capable sound card. Not Dobly Digits or DTS 5.1 or 7.1. Since I will just be using headphones, virtual sound sound, like my Astro mix amp, is all I can expect. Someone correct me if I am wrong, please.

Edit 2: I have been using the Astro for probably 6+ years at least. But I just read from a pro gamer that he prefers 2 channel stereo + high-end head phones over ANY virtual surround sound. I am just hooked my ODAC and O2 up to my ps4. I am going to try stereo sound for a few days and see if I like it more than the Astro. 

Jan 2, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #33,650 of 48,562
'Pro' gamer. Lol. That makes me laugh.

I bet I can beat out any pro gamer in locating sounds faster with a lowly $15 KSC-75 and a Mixamp vs them using a $5000 headphone in stereo. Give me a break.

Jan 2, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #33,651 of 48,562
The DEDICATED STEREO GAMING mentality mostly comes from fragile minded pro gamers who themselves simply have no experience but parrot others also by mimicking their gear (same mouse, Keyboard, monitor). I have yet to see an ESL player who extensively tested all options and delivered a strong argument in favor of hard panning rearless stereo

Jan 2, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #33,652 of 48,562
No matter how people wanna justify it, there is no way 2 channels of directional information is better than 5+. Like trying to justify a colored painting in black and white.

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #33,653 of 48,562
all right. Thats all fine and great. Thank you for your opinion. Trust me, I value Mad Lust's opinion on this. He is the resident gaming sound expert. 

but... ya'll never answered my original question. 

Edit: Thanks Martin for the extra info. This kinda leads to me another question: Why don't they make something like the Sound Blaster x7 for the PS4 and Xbone? I would really enjoy an upgrade for my Astro Mixamp. From what I read the x7 doesn't have chat function for consoles. I don't want to use a mod mic. I like my V-moda mic just fine. Is soundblaster that dedicated to PCs that they can't add full funcationality to the X7 for consoles? 

Jan 2, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #33,654 of 48,562
all right. Thats all fine and great. Thank you for your opinion. Trust me, I value Mad Lust's opinion on this. He is the resident gaming sound expert. 

but... ya'll never answered my original question. 

Edit: Thanks Martin for the extra info. This kinda leads to me another question: Why don't they make something like the Sound Blaster x7 for the PS4 and Xbone? I would really enjoy an upgrade for my Astro Mixamp. From what I read the x7 doesn't have chat function for consoles. I don't want to use a mod mic. I like my V-moda mic just fine. Is soundblaster that dedicated to PCs that they can't add full funcationality to the X7 for consoles? 

Add bt-w2 transmitter to the x7 and You'll get full chat functionality on ps4.

Jan 2, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #33,655 of 48,562
In finland (Europe) pricing differs a lot from america... If i buy AD 700X they sell for 180E and if i buy AKG 701 it will be the same: 180E With that in mind, is AKG the superior choise? For competitive gaming, no other purpose

Jan 2, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #33,656 of 48,562
Add bt-w2 transmitter to the x7 and You'll get full chat functionality on ps4.

How is a blue tooth adapter going to work with my existing vmoda mic. It isn't. And to switch between Xbone and Ps4, that is just ANOTHER plug I have to switch. 

Thanks for the tip, but that is 100% not worth it. So again I ask. why doesn't soundblaster just add chat support like all the must cheaper options. Why doesnt Astro make a mixamp as good as the X7. 

EDIT: Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. It connects with the X7! Okay. Gatcha. 

Jan 2, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #33,657 of 48,562
  In finland (Europe) pricing differs a lot from america... If i buy AD 700X they sell for 180E and if i buy AKG 701 it will be the same: 180E With that in mind, is AKG the superior choise? For competitive gaming, no other purpose

IMO, and a lot of people totally disagree with me, but I don't think the 701 make such great gaming head phones unless you are going to amp them. The 701 are my favorite cans (but some 650's are in the mail and may dethrone them), but I honestly don't hear why people think they are so good for gaming.  They MUST be amped to truly get them to be good, when they are amped they are AMAZING! When they are not properly amped. They are okay at best. 
Personally I think the X1 or X2 makes a much better gaming headphone and takes regular 3.5 mm inline mics. 

I haven't heard about the 700x, but have heard they are good for gaming too. Not sure about amping requirements. 

Jan 2, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #33,658 of 48,562
No matter how people wanna justify it, there is no way 2 channels of directional information is better than 5+. Like trying to justify a colored painting in black and white.

Binaural audio is 3D and only 2 channels. However, it requires specific processing involving Head Related Transfer Functions and extremely few games actually do this. If a game does have a headphone mode it's often just crossfeed.

With VR binaural simulation will be standard. I think over the next 5 years the focus on binaural will be come much larger in film, TV and obviously games. Some blu-rays already have DTS Headphone:X tracks already. Old media seems to be finally waking up that most people consuming their content are doing so on headphones and not 5.1 surround systems.

This is an example of Realspace 3D which is being used by Oculus. This is not aftermarket software like virtual surround sound software but requires it to be implemented by the game developers.

I'm sure some remember Aureal A3D hardware accelerated soundcards:

The technology is not new but gaming and specifically game consoles have always put a focus on 5.1/7.1 home theater over headphones. It's a shame when a lot of people use headphones on console and PC.

You can still get OpenAL to work in games and use Rapture3D.

Jan 2, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #33,660 of 48,562
Look, if my headphones don't sell in the classifieds. I'll let you listen to my Yamaha HPH MT-220's Mad Lust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back