Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 1, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #33,633 of 48,568
  SBX virtualization is done through the Sb-axx1, there is no downconversion to Dolby Digital. Simply NONE as the sb-axx1 is NOT at all bound to Dolby Digital in any way.
If you plug the X7 to the PC then the driver will ensure that the residing 5.1 discrete PCM audio in the I/O will be sent over USB to the X7 where the virtualization will be applied through the SB-axx1.

In the current state you either go PC -> X7 -> Headphone + ability to play with SBX via consoles or you get the BlasterX G5 -> optical out with SBX applied headphone mode - DAC/AMP of your choice.

For 110€ the BlasterX G5 is currently the best choice for PC Gamers that want to rely on their own DAC/AMP combo or duo. If you need proper console SBX as well then you gotta make a compromise as the X7 cannot output SBX applied headphone mode to the optical out. 

Thank you. This is how I figured it as well. However, AFAIU, Mad lust Envy was stating that there is a distinct difference between USB Discrete PCM -> X7 USB input -> SBX Headphone virtualization from X7 headphone output  vs. Optical DD Live bitstream PC output -> X7 optical input -> SBX Headphone virtualization via X7 headphone output.

So, I was merely trying to clarify what is this difference and how does one notice it.

I guess I'll find out, when I get my X7 :-D

Jan 1, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #33,634 of 48,568
If you use like a 3.5 mm to RCA converter piece couldn't you hook up an X7 to an external amp and still get SBX?  I understand you can't use the optical and still get it.

I'm just wondering for the sake of wondering.  I have HD700's and people have been reccomending tube amps to me and at some point I'd like to listen to it though one and I'm wondering if I could use my X7 as the DAC with an external tube amp and still get surround.  

I do have to say though that I'm currently loving my set up as is.  The HD700's are extremely wide.  Love that about them.  Hate to use the cliche but it sounds like I'm listening to music and games again for the first time.  Loving hearing details I've never heard before.  Even in things like title screens I'm picking up little sounds my HD598 and mixamp never did.

Jan 1, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #33,635 of 48,568
If you use like a 3.5 mm to RCA converter piece couldn't you hook up an X7 to an external amp and still get SBX?  I understand you can't use the optical and still get it.

I'm just wondering for the sake of wondering.  I have HD700's and people have been reccomending tube amps to me and at some point I'd like to listen to it though one and I'm wondering if I could use my X7 as the DAC with an external tube amp and still get surround.  

I do have to say though that I'm currently loving my set up as is.  The HD700's are extremely wide.  Love that about them.  Hate to use the cliche but it sounds like I'm listening to music and games again for the first time.  Loving hearing details I've never heard before.  Even in things like title screens I'm picking up little sounds my HD598 and mixamp never did.

Your impressions remind me of a famous Madonna song. :)

Jan 1, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #33,637 of 48,568
If you are interested in directional audio, the modi will not give that to you. It ultimately falls on what you really want. I get the sense that you want surround, so get a mixamp. Or, go a step further and get an all-in-one X7.
You may be better off just getting one of these

http://us.creative.com/p/accessories/creative-bluetooth-audio-bt-w2-usb-transceiver

And hook up a clip on mic to the X7.

Edit: never mind, you are on XBox. Someone else can chime in.

I do have a USB Bluetooth dongle i use with the X7. Can that be used with microphone?

I fully expect to keep the Hifiman, but the Beyer T70 might be a little bass light for me. If the bass is indeed better with the Brainwavz pads and it responds well to EQ, they really sound like a keeper. At that point, I'd probably want to do a detachable 3.5mm cable mod. That would make them so much more convenient.

If I love the headphones, I'll definitely reach out to Peterek. Thanks for the advice!

Jan 1, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #33,638 of 48,568
Your impressions remind me of a famous Madonna song.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hah that's probably a pretty apt comparison.  More then you think actually.  I was listening to a song last night that was pretty string heavy.  I don't even remember what it was but I do remember feeling an almost physical pleasure in my ears.  Almost like the guitar was riding my ear canal.  Can't even describe it well but it was awesome.  

This is probably going to end up setting me down an expensive road unfortunately as while I really like what I have I'm more interested now in trying out other stuff.  

Jan 1, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #33,639 of 48,568
My current setup for 7.1 SBX Pro Studio virtual surround sound on PC:

PC -> Sound BlasterX G5 -> Line Out with Windows volume at 100/100 -> Amp -> Sennheiser HD 800 + Antlion Modmic plugged into G5

You could replace the G5 with the E5 if you want. One of the aspects I don't like about the E5/G5 as a DAC/Amp is that volume is linked to Windows volume control and that the low gain is quite high. This is an issue for high sensitivity IEMs/Headphones.

The X7 only supports up to 5.1 on PC and at the moment you can't output virtual surround sound processed audio to the Line Out. This may be changed in a future software/firmware update.

Jan 1, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #33,640 of 48,568

Thank you. This is how I figured it as well. However, AFAIU, Mad lust Envy was stating that there is a distinct difference between USB Discrete PCM -> X7 USB input -> SBX Headphone virtualization from X7 headphone output  vs. Optical DD Live bitstream PC output -> X7 optical input -> SBX Headphone virtualization via X7 headphone output.

So, I was merely trying to clarify what is this difference and how does one notice it.

I guess I'll find out, when I get my X7 :-D

There is a big difference, I have the X7 and I tried both setup.  The Dolby Digital route is way better for Surround Sound directional.

Jan 1, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #33,641 of 48,568
  There is a big difference, I have the X7 and I tried both setup.  The Dolby Digital route is way better for Surround Sound directional.

Thanks. You are confirming, what MLV stated.

I wonder why there is a difference in the positional sound in the first place?

Also, as per your own experience,  how would you characterize the directional sound differences between the USB/PCM and the Optical/DD-bistream modes?

Jan 1, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #33,643 of 48,568

That makes no sense. The audio is lossless via USB but won't be via DD due to bandwidth limitations of optical.

Is there a way to record the output from both?

I know  the audio is lossless via USB that's why I didn't say the DD route has better "sound quality".  I said the DD route has better "directional sound" in terms of virtual surround sound.
But the difference in sound quality is hard to notice by human ears, well to my ears at least, they both sound almost the same in terms of sound quality.
But the DD route has much better surround sound in terms of directional cues.

Jan 1, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #33,644 of 48,568

Thanks. You are confirming, what MLV stated.

I wonder why there is a difference in the positional sound in the first place?

Also, as per your own experience,  how would you characterize the directional sound differences between the USB/PCM and the Optical/DD-bistream modes?

The USB / PCM directional sound is not as distinct as the DD route, like it is more "broad" and blend in with other directions.  For example, a gun shot on the left, the USB / pcm route would give a little bit of sound coming from the left, a little bit from top left and bottom left.  
Where as the DD route would give a more distinct sound coming from the "Left".  I don't know if I explained that good enough but hopefully you get my point :)

And I think the reason that there is a difference in the positional sound in the first place is because I think the implementation of converting 5.1 surround sound (PCM) to SBX surround is not as good as the implementation of converting 5.1 Dolby Digital surround sound to SBX surround.

I was like everyone else think that the USB / PCM route has the best SBX surround sound for gaming until I tried the Dolby Digital route setup, and I was blown away by the difference.

Jan 1, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #33,645 of 48,568
prove it by recording it so everyone can check it out. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back