Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 17, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #31,441 of 48,578
How cheap? $50? EMCAVKR86 still works for the SHP9500 on Newegg. Free shipping.

They would be perfect, but that treble peak people mention scares me off. SRH1840, K612, and HP200 are probably my limit when it comes to bright headphones.

Jul 20, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #31,445 of 48,578
I've finally got my gear together...
Astro Mixamp PRO, IfI Micro iDSD and a pair of HD700..
I've been testing them with my PS4 after letting the HD700 for 30 hour burn it.

I've configured everything by the book, and i think the PS4 is correctly outputting DD Live 5.1 to the Mixamp, but I can't say I can tell much of a difference.
I've been testing in CoD Advanced Warfare (I'm guessing that should have the audio part in check, no? :) by pressing the Dolby Headphone button on/off to see the difference... not much there to see.

Any way to fool proof test that the whole chain is working correctly with the PS4 and Mixamp?
I've tried calibration bluerays with 5.1 speaker tests, but for those the PS4 immediately falls back to outputting stereo and not DD 5.1.
I can easily check what's being output because my AV Receiver that is connected also via HDMI reports how the audio stream looks like.

Jul 20, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #31,446 of 48,578
  I've finally got my gear together...
Astro Mixamp PRO, IfI Micro iDSD and a pair of HD700..
I've been testing them with my PS4 after letting the HD700 for 30 hour burn it.

I've configured everything by the book, and i think the PS4 is correctly outputting DD Live 5.1 to the Mixamp, but I can't say I can tell much of a difference.
I've been testing in CoD Advanced Warfare (I'm guessing that should have the audio part in check, no? :) by pressing the Dolby Headphone button on/off to see the difference... not much there to see.

Any way to fool proof test that the whole chain is working correctly with the PS4 and Mixamp?
I've tried calibration bluerays with 5.1 speaker tests, but for those the PS4 immediately falls back to outputting stereo and not DD 5.1.
I can easily check what's being output because my AV Receiver that is connected also via HDMI reports how the audio stream looks like.

Set primary output to Optical, priority to Bitstream Dolby
In-game set to surround speakers (if AW has such a setting) if not, set to Hi-Fi/Home Cinema whatever
And You definitely have it set up wrong, I've used Astro Mixamp Pro for quite some time and the difference between that and regular stereo is like night and day.

Jul 20, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #31,447 of 48,578
The big thing about Advanced Warfare audio, for me, is that regardless of stereo or surround the sound of the exo suit (thrusters, clanks, etc) is essentially located smack dab center image, and you use it so often that it drowns out a lot of the more subtle stuff and keeps your brain from getting used to how things are oriented.

CoD:AW does definitely do surround tho, maybe I'll take pics of my tv and post what settings I use for ya. I work till 9 tho, so 4 and a half more hours.

Jul 20, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #31,448 of 48,578
It can't be as bad as BF4 which does not differentiate between "2 metres away, this guy needs to hear that" and "200 metres away, he doesn't need to hear that".

Jul 21, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #31,449 of 48,578
Thanks for the help mates!
I'll restart this afternoon with a clear mind and double check all my settings.
Any place in COD:AW where i could reliably check audio queues? I was using the zombies chase you mode however that is a bit too dynamic for accurate tests :)

Jul 21, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #31,450 of 48,578
Thanks for the help mates!
I'll restart this afternoon with a clear mind and double check all my settings.
Any place in COD:AW where i could reliably check audio queues? I was using the zombies chase you mode however that is a bit too dynamic for accurate tests
smily_headphones1.gif

Custom game with no bots, throw a molotov/phosphorus grenade/whatever it is called and start spinning around

Jul 21, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #31,451 of 48,578
  Custom game with no bots, throw a molotov/phosphorus grenade/whatever it is called and start spinning around

I have no more clue what to try... :-/

I've simplified the setup as such:
Video -> PS4 directly connected to my monitor via HDMI
Audio -> PS4 connected via optical and USB to the astro mix amp that drives the HD700 via headphone out

I've rechecked all the audio settings on the console and also checked some new ones provided by Astro support:
Settings > Sound and Screen > Audio Output Settings > Primary Output Port > Digital Out (optical)
Settings > Sound and Screen > Audio Output Settings > Audio Format > Bitstream Dolby
Settings > Devices > Audio Devices > Input Device > USB Headset 
Settings > Devices > Audio Devices > Output Device > USB Headset
Settings > Devices > Audio Devices > Output to Headphones > Chat Audio
I've restarted the console.

I've tried CoD:AW, Far Cry and Tomb Raider. I cannot see any difference while pressing the Dolby button. I've tried playing with bots, the campaign and so on.

Just to make sure the games are not very bad themselves, I've switched to my Sony Gold Wireless with Virtual Surround, where everything "just works" with the PS4 and used Tomb Raider that shows the Dolby logo at startup.
I've disabled and enabled Virtual Surround and with the Sonys I do perceive a change in soundstage (seems like the room gets bigger and there is more reverb), but besides this in Tomb Raider the audio queues for things behind me left and right are virtually identical to stereo downmixing (virtual surround off).

So I'm guessing:
- the games I've tried have poor audio sountrack and there is little audible differnce between virtual surround and stereo downmixing so even if it's working not much there to see
- my mixamp is deffective
- i'm really dum or deaf :blush: (hope not as i've been working in IT all my life and i enjoy this hobby :p)

....  :/

Jul 21, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #31,452 of 48,578

I have no more clue what to try... :-/

I've simplified the setup as such:
Video -> PS4 directly connected to my monitor via HDMI
Audio -> PS4 connected via optical and USB to the astro mix amp that drives the HD700 via headphone out

I've rechecked all the audio settings on the console and also checked some new ones provided by Astro support:
Settings > Sound and Screen > Audio Output Settings > Primary Output Port > Digital Out (optical)
Settings > Sound and Screen > Audio Output Settings > Audio Format > Bitstream Dolby
Settings > Devices > Audio Devices > Input Device > USB Headset 
Settings > Devices > Audio Devices > Output Device > USB Headset
Settings > Devices > Audio Devices > Output to Headphones > Chat Audio
I've restarted the console.

I've tried CoD:AW, Far Cry and Tomb Raider. I cannot see any difference while pressing the Dolby button. I've tried playing with bots, the campaign and so on.

Just to make sure the games are not very bad themselves, I've switched to my Sony Gold Wireless with Virtual Surround, where everything "just works" with the PS4 and used Tomb Raider that shows the Dolby logo at startup.
I've disabled and enabled Virtual Surround and with the Sonys I do perceive a change in soundstage (seems like the room gets bigger and there is more reverb), but besides this in Tomb Raider the audio queues for things behind me left and right are virtually identical to stereo downmixing (virtual surround off).

So I'm guessing:
- the games I've tried have poor audio sountrack and there is little audible differnce between virtual surround and stereo downmixing so even if it's working not much there to see
- my mixamp is deffective
- i'm really dum or deaf :blush: (hope not as i've been working in IT all my life and i enjoy this hobby :p)

....  :/

The settings are good. If You can't hear the difference check again if the USB output is set to Chat Audio and not all Audio (alternatively, power the Mixamp off another device such as PC to be 100% sure). If You have it in Your library, download P.T (Silent Hills demo) it has excellent audio engine. Also, try it with less power hungry headphones than the HD700 or daisy chain a headphone amp to the Mixamp.

Jul 21, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #31,453 of 48,578
The settings are good. If You can't hear the difference check again if the USB output is set to Chat Audio and not all Audio (alternatively, power the Mixamp off another device such as PC to be 100% sure). If You have it in Your library, download P.T (Silent Hills demo) it has excellent audio engine. Also, try it with less power hungry headphones than the HD700 or daisy chain a headphone amp to the Mixamp.

No longer downloadable. If it wasn't already installed when it was removed, then it is lost...

giphy.gif

Jul 21, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #31,454 of 48,578
Hi.

I'm struggling a little with which headphones to get, even after reading this excellent guide. My main problem is that I think I want the Alpha Primes, but they're a bit of a bugger to get shipped to the UK; namely that I won't know exactly when they'll arrive and I'm due to be out of the country for most of next week. So I need some alternative options.

So, my setup:

1. Budget - £650 max.
  2. Source – PC: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
  3. Requirements for Isolation – Closed; I’ll be using them at home, mostly for gaming, some music. I need closed to avoid my girlfriend flipping out...
  4. Preferred Type of Headphone – Full Size
  5. Preferred tonal balance – As they’re for gaming, they’ll need balance
  6. Past headphones – AKG 550; nothing wrong with them really, but want to upgrade as I don't find them the best for gaming, and a bit of a let-down for music.
  7. Preferred Music – Indie, folk, electronic, rock
  8. What would you like to improve on from your set-up – More detail, direction, presence.
  9. Location - UK

Any advice gratefully received!

Jul 21, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #31,455 of 48,578

Thanks a million mate u rocked it!
It was option nr. 3 - dumb user :)

Triple checked and I had Output to Headphones set to All Audio instead of Chat Audio (somehow during setup my mind set it to All Audio despite the Astro instructions).

Now yes i can feel a difference !!! in CoD:AW you can pinpoint the location where they're shooting! Stereo downmix is just a bag of fuzziness.

Hurraaaay! Let's rock!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back