Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 21, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #31,456 of 48,583
  Hi.

I'm struggling a little with which headphones to get, even after reading this excellent guide. My main problem is that I think I want the Alpha Primes, but they're a bit of a bugger to get shipped to the UK; namely that I won't know exactly when they'll arrive and I'm due to be out of the country for most of next week. So I need some alternative options.

So, my setup:

1. Budget - £650 max.
  2. Source – PC: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
  3. Requirements for Isolation – Closed; I’ll be using them at home, mostly for gaming, some music. I need closed to avoid my girlfriend flipping out...
  4. Preferred Type of Headphone – Full Size
  5. Preferred tonal balance – As they’re for gaming, they’ll need balance
  6. Past headphones – AKG 550; nothing wrong with them really, but want to upgrade as I don't find them the best for gaming, and a bit of a let-down for music.
  7. Preferred Music – Indie, folk, electronic, rock
  8. What would you like to improve on from your set-up – More detail, direction, presence.
  9. Location - UK

Any advice gratefully received!

Shame that you can't get the Alphas as the non-primes are still my favorite closed-back headphone for gaming. They were incredible. My recommendations to you would be the Oppo PM-3, Master & Dynamic MH40, and Audio Technica ATH-M40x.

It's not hard to get more detail than the AKG 550. They're a very unimpressive headphone to me.

Jul 21, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #31,457 of 48,583

Shame that you can't get the Alphas as the non-primes are still my favorite closed-back headphone for gaming. They were incredible. My recommendations to you would be the Oppo PM-3, Master & Dynamic MH40, and Audio Technica ATH-M40x.

It's not hard to get more detail than the AKG 550. They're a very unimpressive headphone to me.

Thanks! I've really tried to like the AKG 550, but I completely agree - they're very underwhelming.

Jul 21, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #31,458 of 48,583

Thanks! I've really tried to like the AKG 550, but I completely agree - they're very underwhelming.

I found that the primary issue with them is the seal. It takes a lot of effort to get them sealed properly and on my narrow-ish head it was next to impossible without applying pressure to the outside of the cups. That and, of the entire AKG family, they sounded the most lifeless and confused in their cohesion to me.

Jul 21, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #31,459 of 48,583
Thanks a million mate u rocked it!
It was option nr. 3 - dumb user :)

Triple checked and I had Output to Headphones set to All Audio instead of Chat Audio (somehow during setup my mind set it to All Audio despite the Astro instructions).

Now yes i can feel a difference !!! in CoD:AW you can pinpoint the location where they're shooting! Stereo downmix is just a bag of fuzziness.

Hurraaaay! Let's rock!

When I saw your list of settings, I was going to tell you to make sure that you weren't sending audio to the mixamp through USB... the playstation only sends stereo through USB.
JUST found which box my X7 was packed in for the move (the retail box in the closet next to the TV, of course), and JUST got Comcast to install the internet today. Woowho!!!

Jul 21, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #31,460 of 48,583

Yeah I would particularly like to try the Alphas (dog or prime), as they're notable among closed cans for their comfort and soundstage. That is what I'd buy based on reviews, if I was in the market.

I do have a pair of Oppo PM-3. With a detailed source (so maybe not the Tritton base station & puck thingie), the PM-3 has a good center image and sense of depth, so while the soundstage isn't as wide as my open AKGs the PM-3 does image well and work well with surround processing. It takes a little wiggle to get the right comfort (seal isn't a problem), but then it's comfortable for much longer than my previous closed headphones [plural, Axel] and look pretty classy if you want to take them to work, too. I still prefer as much marathon comfort as possible, but that doesn't mean closed headphones can't be awesome in their class.

Jul 22, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #31,464 of 48,583

Thanks a million mate u rocked it!
It was option nr. 3 - dumb user :)

Triple checked and I had Output to Headphones set to All Audio instead of Chat Audio (somehow during setup my mind set it to All Audio despite the Astro instructions).

Now yes i can feel a difference !!! in CoD:AW you can pinpoint the location where they're shooting! Stereo downmix is just a bag of fuzziness.

Hurraaaay! Let's rock!

I'm glad everything worked out for You mate.
No longer downloadable. If it wasn't already installed when it was removed, then it is lost...

giphy.gif

That's a shame. That game is the perfect tool for headphone testing

Jul 22, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #31,467 of 48,583

I thought the AKG K550 had great detail in the audio, but in general the over all sound is fairly boring.

Jul 22, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #31,468 of 48,583
Axel,
Seems to me that the 20 second mod would make it harder to tell if you're putting them on backwards :p
Is there other R/L indicators than the big gray letters [that used to be] on the grilles?

Ugh, Yethal, I got to play P.T. on a 3D plasma display, with my X7+K712, FREAAAAAKY **** MAN! Almost too much realism to handle. Don't like the raspy breathing from behind, whispers in my ear, blood dripping from the fridge... Definitely carefully engineered sound design, but sPoooooookyyyyyy! One thing, however, I never had the brown bag sing to me, do you know anyway to "reset" the demo to start over at the beginning?

Jul 22, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #31,469 of 48,583
Axel,
Seems to me that the 20 second mod would make it harder to tell if you're putting them on backwards :p
Is there other R/L indicators than the big gray letters [that used to be] on the grilles?

Yup.

Plus it's a single entry headphone, the cable always goes on the left.

Then on top of that, the cups feel awkward backwards since the cups have a slight forward angle to hug the head.

Jul 22, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #31,470 of 48,583
Axel,

Ugh, Yethal, I got to play P.T. on a 3D plasma display, with my X7+K712, FREAAAAAKY **** MAN! Almost too much realism to handle. Don't like the raspy breathing from behind, whispers in my ear, blood dripping from the fridge... Definitely carefully engineered sound design, but sPoooooookyyyyyy! One thing, however, I never had the brown bag sing to me, do you know anyway to "reset" the demo to start over at the beginning?

I never tried, but maybe deleting your save file will start you back in the beginning?

Axel, I need more info on your new discovery, pretty please. Treble is my main concern, so if you can compare it (after mod) to other familiars it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back