Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 14, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #31,411 of 48,583
Having tried both, I can tell you the K7XX is good, but it's got nothing on the TH900. I can't imagine scaling down and being satisfied. I mean, if you want something that is airy and lightweight, etc., it is all of those things. It's just that the TH900 sounds so much better in every conceivable way.

Hmmm.. I see.

I also found a pair of HD800's on Craigslist, practically brand new and only used for 20 mins to test out a DAC. They are asking $1000 Canadian which is not bad considering how bad the dollar is. Maybe that would be a better route to go for a good contrasting headphone to pair with the TH900.

I, personally, LOVE the HD800 for gaming. They are supremely comfortable - they weigh nothing, the clamping force is perfect and the cups are super spacious. The soundstage and imaging put you in instant god mode. The detail level is crazy - it just puts you inside the game at every level. Finding a deal like that is crazy and rare. At that price, stop thinking about it and just get them!

Jul 15, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #31,412 of 48,583
I, personally, LOVE the HD800 for gaming. They are supremely comfortable - they weigh nothing, the clamping force is perfect and the cups are super spacious. The soundstage and imaging put you in instant god mode. The detail level is crazy - it just puts you inside the game at every level. Finding a deal like that is crazy and rare. At that price, stop thinking about it and just get them!

Sounds great. Just curious about your setup, is it a PC gaming setup or console as well?

Jul 15, 2015 at 7:08 AM Post #31,414 of 48,583

zhis 
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 15, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #31,416 of 48,583

Sounds great. Just curious about your setup, is it a PC gaming setup or console as well?

It's through the PS4. My setup is as follows:

PS4 > Mixamp > Schiit Lyr (Telefunken E88CC tubes) > HD800

I run a RCA to 1/8" male cable out of the back of my Lyr and swap it between a MixAmp, Gamma2 DAC and a Schiit Mani (with a 1/8" female to RCA adaptor plug) as needed. 

Jul 16, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #31,418 of 48,583
Verdana light,
I do believe it's just the styling and mic differences.

For everyone,
Looks like Creative is running a sale based on a San Francisco meet, they have 20% off of a lot of their high end items including the X7 LE, regular X7, their new bookshelf speakers, their headphones and IEMs, and soundcards:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/774751/coming-to-you-in-san-francisco-for-the-meetup/0_30#post_11765811

Jul 16, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #31,419 of 48,583
I've kind of decided the Sound Blaster X7 is just too much of a pain to get working with a PS4. Will probably just sell mine.

Anyway, I just decided to give up on audiophile quality headphones and gaming, and went with a Steelseries H set of headphones. Will provide a brief, amateur review when they arrive - I can compare against Audio Technica M50s and Fidelio X2s since that is what I have on hand.

Jul 16, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #31,420 of 48,583
I love the tech talk, obviously, but we should also talk about the games that sound great. (I know I'm not the first to throw this out there, :grin:).

I just picked up my PS4 a few weeks back and Batman: Arkham Knight sounds stupendous thru my Sound Blaster X7 and AKG K7XXs.

What are the best-sounding games out there today on any platform?

Jul 17, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #31,421 of 48,583
Hey MadLustEnvy, did you ever get your hands on the Senn HD700 for gaming? I heard it has the best soundstage which I thought is the best for gaming.  The only headphone that can beat it in soundstage is the HD800 but that is $1500.

Jul 17, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #31,422 of 48,583
No I haven't. And I'm wary of any mentions of bigger soundstages than the AD700. I tend to call BS on that.

Jul 17, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #31,425 of 48,583
  Hey MadLustEnvy, did you ever get your hands on the Senn HD700 for gaming? I heard it has the best soundstage which I thought is the best for gaming.  The only headphone that can beat it in soundstage is the HD800 but that is $1500.

The HD700 has a nice soundstage, but from memory I'd give the edge to the AD700. The HD700 makes an excellent gaming headphone if the sound signature is to your liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back