Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 14, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #30,301 of 48,578
Wow, catching up on this thread from being away for three days was less headache than expected! :)

SlickNick, Porksword, and Knallie,

To simply experience headphone surround, a $25 Turtle Beach DSS (first one, not DSS2) will also use Dolby headphone processing and sound pretty good. A Tritton AX720+ processor or Astro Mixamp will also use Dolby Headphone, they don't improve the sound quality over the DSS (actually have lower quality amps, with background hiss and less volume headroom) but the Mixamp gains chat/game volume mixing as a feature. A lot of times you can use console features instead of the Mixamp dial, but it can be nice to have a dial right there to readjust on the fly.

Next quality step up would be an A/V receiver that offers a headphone surround mode... You get a noticably better amp and DAC than the DSS, but the headphone surround processing might seem slightly less natural than Dolby Headphone (unless you get an antique featuring DH). Expect to pay like ~$200 for a good one, with plenty of wiggle room.

Next step up would be Creative's new Soundblaster X7, $400 new. So far, the most natural sounding surround processing I've heard yet, plus decent Digital-to-Analogue-Conversion (DAC hardware) and amplifier, usb inputs for PC and recent smartphones/devices, optical for console game audio, Bluetooth receiver (and mobile app for adjusting settings), etc. A couple reviews are on Head-Fi now, worth a look if looking to make a system.

Next level up would be a Beyer Headzone or Smith Realizer, I don't know much about them except they apparently sound amazingly holographic and cost over $1000 (and my current budget).

Apr 14, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #30,304 of 48,578
Omg I'm so excited. I just bought from Razordog on EBay the Fostex TH900
smily_headphones1.gif
Now let me make sure I'm hom when it delivery for wife purpose! Lol

Congrats. If it's through UPS or FedEx (or whatever is in your location,) you may be able to call ahead and have it held at their stores instead of having to be there for the delivery.

Apr 14, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #30,305 of 48,578
Wow, catching up on this thread from being away for three days was less headache than expected!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the detailed answer. So I think I'll be going with the Fidelio X2's + DSS. I was also looking at the Schiit Magni amp but wasn't sure if it would improve the quality or not? If it would be a good combo paired up with the DSS, then I would need a cable such as this one, correct? http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021815&p_id=5596&seq=1&format=2 Would I need the Modi at all if I did get the Magni?

Thanks for all the info!

Apr 14, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #30,309 of 48,578
It's been sent back. Of course it's not gonna stack up to the TH900. :p

Apr 14, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #30,310 of 48,578
It's been sent back. Of course it's not gonna stack up to the TH900.
tongue.gif

lol I want to try TH900 so badly but spending that much on a headphone......jeeeez lol

Id have to sell most of my headphones and save up some cash just for the TH900. Im not ready yet for that step up but I will eventually get there one day.

But how far off is the COP from the TH900? Or is the TH900 on a class of its own?

Apr 14, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #30,311 of 48,578
  lol I want to try TH900 so badly but spending that much on a headphone......jeeeez lol

Id have to sell most of my headphones and save up some cash just for the TH900. Im not ready yet for that step up but I will eventually get there one day.

But how far off is the COP from the TH900? Or is the TH900 on a class of its own?

I don't even like the V-shaped signature of headphones, but I respectfully recognize the TH900 is one of the best closed headphones period and would probably eat the entirety of Beyerdynamic until only the T1 remained....until the TH900 decides to steal its magnet and throw in another tesla into its driver magnet for the **** of it.

It sounds good too.

Apr 15, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #30,312 of 48,578
I love my superlux hd668bs they don't get used much since I bought the akg q701s but I always recommend the superlux for gaming on a budget

Yea man, the Superlux HD668Bs are epic for only $30 on Massdrop.  I also upgraded headphones, to the Philips Fidelio X1s, as much as I love the X1s and how amazing they are, I ultimately came away impressed with how good a $30 pair of cans can sound.

Apr 15, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #30,313 of 48,578

I've owned both the COP and TH900. I think it fair to say in my own opinion it like comparing a Toyota Corolla to a Ferrari. The COP sounded congested, bass and vocal are no where near the refinement of the TH-900. Oh and the micro details of the TH-900 is simply sublime. If you're coming from the Astro or other gaming headset. the COP is actually pretty good.
But park it next to the TH-900, oh man it like hawk eye going against Thor.

Apr 15, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #30,315 of 48,578
What he said. Like 5 levels above, lol.

Hahah actually just had another listen to the TH-900 and it Jedi level, while the COP is a storm trooper at best. :p
Oh by the way, I was powering the TH-900 and COP from Asus Essence One MUSES Edition with the SPL Phonitor and 50wrms balance Beta22.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back