Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 11, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #30,286 of 48,583
Apr 11, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #30,292 of 48,583
I decided to sell my Soundblaster X7, as I don't really need it anymore (I brought the NFB-28 home and I'm just going to use optical out from my soundcard for virtual SS.) If you want to work out a deal, the ad is here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/762585/creative-soundblaster-x7 .

I forgot to put on there that I did update it to the latest firmware, so everything is good there.

Also, you don't have to pay anything for ESO on any consoles. They've apparently added more **** in and made it closer to Morrowind than it use to be (but I haven't played it since that update...so who knows?) It's still not a true Elder Scrolls experience, but it's getting there apparently.

Apr 11, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #30,294 of 48,583
They got rid if the monthly subscription, hence why it's now called "Tamriel Unlimited." That's why I'm thinking about getting it, now.

Well the monthly subscription still exists as ESO Plus membership which gives you access to the DLC content without purchasing it separately, some monthly marketplace currency as well as 10% buffs to gold exp, crafting, etc.

Games that go F2P never offer full content for free, although this is pretty close, but really depends on what they plan on charging for the upcoming DLC content verses how long you plan on playing.

Apr 12, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #30,295 of 48,583
Looking for some help with a buying decision. I Currently have Phillips X2 headphones with a Ear Force DSS v1 (it cost like $15) for PS4 gaming. I'm  pretty happy with my set up but want to see how good all this audio stuff can get. 

I'm thinking about getting a Oppo HA-2 and a Mixamp pro. Or the Soundblaster X7. Any input on pros and cons of each setup and what type of improvement I might be able to expect would be much appreciated. 

Apr 12, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #30,296 of 48,583
Looking for some help with a buying decision. I Currently have Phillips X2 headphones with a Ear Force DSS v1 (it cost like $15) for PS4 gaming. I'm  pretty happy with my set up but want to see how good all this audio stuff can get. 

I'm thinking about getting a Oppo HA-2 and a Mixamp pro. Or the Soundblaster X7. Any input on pros and cons of each setup and what type of improvement I might be able to expect would be much appreciated. 

That's probably as good as its going to get on console until Creative makes the X7 more user friendly. Just stick with what you have. Going from DSS to mixamp pro is more of a 'sidegrade,' but adding a portable amp will have some sonic improvement.

Apr 12, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #30,297 of 48,583

The HA-2 is a DAC with an amp section used for their portable headphones and IEMs. It's not a good external amp if you're not using the DAC section. You'd be better off with the X7, as it has everything you could dream of and more. Or, if you don't want to spend 400, just get astro Mixamp with the Magni 2

Apr 12, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #30,298 of 48,583
That's probably as good as its going to get on console until Creative makes the X7 more user friendly. Just stick with what you have. Going from DSS to mixamp pro is more of a 'sidegrade,' but adding a portable amp will have some sonic improvement.

Are you referring to the Turtle Beach DSS Ear Force?

Apr 12, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #30,299 of 48,583
Wow, such a thorough and excellent write-up. I have a few noobish questions for Mad Lust Envy, or anyone who wants to answer. I was on the fence about getting the Astro A50's for gaming on the Xbox One, along with watching tv and movies through the Xbox one. I now see that they're really not that great for their price and hype, but the Philips X2 Fidelio are the same price minus the mixamp and seem to excel in all-around performance.

If I were to purchase the X2's, am I correct that I would need to purchase a mixamp to get full surround sound performance from these headphones? If so, which mixamp would work best with the Xbox One? Thanks in advance and apologies for the nooby questions
redface.gif

Apr 13, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #30,300 of 48,583
I emailed Creative rep a while ago about the possibility of selling the extension cables from Recon 3D separately or bundling them with the X7 to add console chat compatibility. Here's their response:

"Dear Yethal (actually my real name here) (...)

We wish to highlight that the bundled accessories including the 3m audio extension cable for console of the Recon3D USB are not retail parts and we do not sell them separately.

We appreciate your input about the setup and the possibility of selling this part separately and we will help to feedback it to the relevant department for their reference.

Meanwhile, we are now checking with the relevant department the availability of stock and the cost of the extension cable.

We will get back to you as soon as we get an update on this request.

If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to get back to us. "

So, there's actually a possibility of Creative selling this stuff to people, which would bring more user-friendliness to the X7 itself and make it a more viable option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back