Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 10, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #26,836 of 48,562

You have a Y cable going into the Mixamp with heaphone and Mic plugged in on one end and the Mixamp on the other.

Go check out the picture in the guide on the first page of this thread called "Info, and how to attach external amps...".  Then just leave out the amp and amp cable.

Right, I completely forgot I had bought one of these (link below) and had it stored incase I wanted to start using chat with my Beyerdynamic DT990's. 

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-MUYHSMFF-Headset-Splitter-Adapter/dp/B004SP0WAQ/

Thanks again for the post's... just needed a reminder it turns out on how to make it all work :) Now I guess I need to get a mic!

EDIT: Although I should mention I have the older mix amp... I think maybe 2011? edition... that make any difference? The controller in on my mix amp looks like an awfully small input... its definitely not a 3.5mm input...

EDIT, Again: Searched around & looks like I will need a 2.5mm cable for the controller in on the older mixamp like I have, not a biggy. 

Nov 10, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #26,837 of 48,562

EDIT: Although I should mention I have the older mix amp... I think maybe 2011? edition... that make any difference? The controller in on my mix amp looks like an awfully small input... its definitely not a 3.5mm input...

EDIT, Again: Searched around & looks like I will need a 2.5mm cable for the controller in on the older mixamp like I have, not a biggy. 

I have this one too. Don't plug the adapter, plug it in the headphones port (left of the controller port) the 2.5mm input is for xbox360 chat (can also be used with PS4)

Nov 10, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #26,838 of 48,562
Heyo.

Just wanted to first say at how awesome of a thread this is, great job man, keep it up!

Second, I was wondering if you could help me center my view at what pair of headphones I could get.

Im looking for a closed headset, because I dont want the sound to leak into my mic.

I'm looking to use the pair of headphones mostly for gaming purposes. (CSGO BF3 BF4)

I dont really care for a huge amount of bass, because I skype with friends every day when I play, so I need something thats good for gaming/skype, not just solo gaming.

Ill be attaching a modmic to the headset.

I can also purchase the Magni/Modi combo if needed.

My budget is around 275-315 USD.

Thanks in advance!

Nov 10, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #26,839 of 48,562
  Heyo.

Just wanted to first say at how awesome of a thread this is, great job man, keep it up!

Second, I was wondering if you could help me center my view at what pair of headphones I could get.

Im looking for a closed headset, because I dont want the sound to leak into my mic.

I'm looking to use the pair of headphones mostly for gaming purposes. (CSGO BF3 BF4)

I dont really care for a huge amount of bass, because I skype with friends every day when I play, so I need something thats good for gaming/skype, not just solo gaming.

Thanks in advance!

Most of us use open headphones and there is no sound leaking to the mic problem. What kind of soundcard do You have?

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #26,842 of 48,562
Hey guys

First of all I have to mention this thread is fantastic!

I would like to buy a pair of headphones for my ps4.
Would you recommend the Scullcandy Plyr 1 or maybe something else?
I was thinking about stereo headphones but then I have to buy an amp as well.
I will buy one later for  my PC for movies and music,but I think for ps4 I'm going to buy a gaming headset.
What do you think?

Nov 10, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #26,843 of 48,562
  Hey guys

First of all I have to mention this thread is fantastic!

I would like to buy a pair of headphones for my ps4.
Would you recommend the Scullcandy Plyr 1 or maybe something else?
I was thinking about stereo headphones but then I have to buy an amp as well.
I will buy one later for  my PC for movies and music,but I think for ps4 I'm going to buy a gaming headset.
What do you think?

Don't expect good sound quality from a gaming headset.  I wouldn't even expect average quality to be honest.  If you're looking for good sound quality buy a good pair of headphones.  I just recently purchased the AKG K712 pro's for gaming on my PS4... and it is just ridiculously good.  Feels like the game is in the room with you.  Gaming headsets are generally recognized to have poor sound quality no matter how you are using them or what you are using (even the expensive $300 Astro headsets sound like crap IMO). 

Nov 10, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #26,844 of 48,562
  Don't expect good sound quality from a gaming headset.  I wouldn't even expect average quality to be honest.  If you're looking for good sound quality buy a good pair of headphones.  I just recently purchased the AKG K712 pro's for gaming on my PS4 (using them with a DSS + amp)... and it is just ridiculously good.  Feels like the game is in the room with you.  Gaming headsets are generally recognized to have poor sound quality no matter how you are using them or what you are using (even the expensive $300 Astro headsets sound like crap IMO). 

Nov 10, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #26,845 of 48,562

Right, I completely forgot I had bought one of these (link below) and had it stored incase I wanted to start using chat with my Beyerdynamic DT990's. 

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-MUYHSMFF-Headset-Splitter-Adapter/dp/B004SP0WAQ/

Thanks again for the post's... just needed a reminder it turns out on how to make it all work :) Now I guess I need to get a mic!

I mentioned that it was 2.5mm above.  That's the port that goes to the controller.  The other port is the one with the Y adaptor for mic and headphones.

Heyo.

Thanks in advance!

Check out the Soundmagic HP100/HP150.  Closed headset, very good for gaming, very balanced sound (i.e. not bass-heavy).

Don't expect good sound quality from a gaming headset.  I wouldn't even expect average quality to be honest.  If you're looking for good sound quality buy a good pair of headphones.  I just recently purchased the AKG K712 pro's for gaming on my PS4... and it is just ridiculously good.  Feels like the game is in the room with you.  Gaming headsets are generally recognized to have poor sound quality no matter how you are using them or what you are using (even the expensive $300 Astro headsets sound like crap IMO). 

Actually, the PLYR1 is pretty highly reviewed in this guide.  It's a pretty good bang for the buck if you don't have a lot to spend.

Speaking of which, recommending a headphone that costs 4x as much is maybe not super helpful.

Nov 10, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #26,846 of 48,562
Thanks for the quick answer.
Honestly I was afraid that will be the answer...I chose Philips Fidelio X1 for the next stereo headphone (I have a pair of Shure SRH440 now).
If I will get the X1 I would need an amp for the PS4 and I am totally confused which one would be the best.
I didn't read good things about mixamp or the other stuff.
I found Emotiva XDA-2 ( https://emotiva.com/products/dacs/xda-2 ) and it has optical input so I could use it with the PS4 and PC too.
Maybe that would be a good choise?

Nov 10, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #26,847 of 48,562
  I have an MSI motherboard that comes with a soundcard.

Its called the z87-g45. I plan to use an external AMP/DAc though.

Check in the audio panel whether the card has virtual surround built in. If it does buy an optical dac and amp to pair it with. If it doesn't buy a cheap PCI/PCIe card and connect dac/amp to that

Nov 10, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #26,849 of 48,562
I asked this in another thread. I guess it doesn't hurt to get a second opinion from other gamers.

I have the Sennheiser 598's coupled with a Sound Blaster Z. I was looking to possibly add a DAC(maybe the amp from same company as well)to my audio setup.

DAC I have my eyes on 
http://schiit.com/products/modi

The amp
http://schiit.com/products/magni

Would I get any considerable difference by adding these to my setup? Everything will be used for gaming and listening to music. To add to this, I'm also now considering the purchase of a new set of headphones.

http://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic-880-Premium-250-ohm/dp/B000F2BLTM

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-Pro-Audio-K712PRO-Headphones/dp/B00E4WXWBE/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Those are the two I'm looking at but I would still like some feedback on my original question. Would a Schitt stack make a considerable difference coupled with SB Z and my 598's?

Nov 10, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #26,850 of 48,562
I tried the optical Modi with my Omni (same as the Z but external) and returned it after hearing no difference.  The DAC in the Z/Omni is quite decent and you're going to need to go a step above the Modi if you want to hear an improvement.

I ended up getting a used Audio-GD NFB-15.32, which cost about the same as the Schiit Stack after shipping and tax.  The DAC sounded noticeably better than the Modi or Omni.

If you wanted to just amp, the Magni will definitely give you a lot more power than the Z.  I haven't heard it so I can't comment on how it will sound.

Personally, I think the A-GD is a steal and worth the price even new.  I'd recommend that.

Regarding your headphones, the 598 is pretty good for gaming and I don't think the others will be much of an upgrade.  For music, tho, I suspect the K712 will be a step up.  Caveat:  I haven't personally heard the 598 or the Beyers or the K712.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back