Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 7, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #26,806 of 48,562
  Okay guys, I have an update and a question. I have started building my setup piece by piece. I got my new X-Box One and PS4. Due to some issues at the store, I caved and got a set of Playstation Gold Wireless headphones (got them for half price) to get me by because I only had the stock set. I also received my Q701s. I really want to use them on my gaming consoles, but for the life of me I cannot find a decently priced Astro Mixamp 5.8. Does anyone here have one for sale or know where I could get a decent deal on a set? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The only way to get a decent deal on a 5.8 is to spend a LOT of time on eBay figuring out the best search terms and being super patient.  I got mine for $40 shipped (IIRC, might have been $35?) few months back.  It took probably 3 months to get the right one and it was mostly luck as it was listed "as is" since the guy had no idea if it worked or not.  I emailed him to check it out and he said it did indeed work so I bit and I was the only one.  

3 months of patience saved me $40.  Was it worth the wait?  Well I have 2 Recons I was using in the mean time so I wasn't in a rush.  If you're in a rush, you should be able to find them in the $80 price range relatively easily.

Nov 7, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #26,807 of 48,562
Hey guys, I need a new gaming headphone to match with my mix-amp as the 3.5mm tip of my a40s is bent and I've been waiting months for a new cable from astro while listening to only one channel only to find out last night in an email that they no longer manufacture the cable so I'm SOL. I'm done with astro after a 6 year relationship unless my mix-amp takes a dump too. . So I'm looking at a cheap alternative but without a doubt would like to use the vmoda boom mic. What headphones work with it? I know the vmodas do and the x2s would work too right? . What other alternatives? I would go sennheiser gaming headset route but I did not like the 598 at all for gaming. I'm pretty positive I will be getting the x2 with or before income tax but can't afford it right away so looking for a cheaper, temporary alternative.

There's a list on the first page of the guide with all the headphones that work with the Boompro.  The X2 is newer than that list, but I believe it works just like the X1.  Senns don't work with the Boompro and AKG's will work if @Zombie_X decides to start selling his adapter.

Nov 7, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #26,810 of 48,562
Why do I bother even updating... heh.

Did you put the X2 on there yet?

very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 7, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #26,817 of 48,562
Just got my mixamp pro 2013,it already had the most updated firmware according to the Astro site. Regarding equalizer, is this correct:
Top left is pro
Top right is core
Bottom right is media
Bottom. Left is lan
Please confirm or correct, the settings are not listed that I can see.

Nov 7, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #26,819 of 48,562
  other than headphones... What would you guys recommend for a source?

Which would be the best sound card for cs:go/ music.  

Or the best dac/amp?

Sound Blaster Z or Omni are pretty good bang for your buck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back