Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 8, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #26,821 of 48,562
But... but...he cooks!

Sure, and you get to taste every meal (that you get down your throat) TWICE as it comes back up!

It's okay Axel, you've still got me and my car that smells like chocolate. We can wear newsboy caps together!

im considering soundblaster for sure. What would be the top 4 gaming headphones under 1k$ in your guys' opinions?

3 of my top four favourites under $1k are AKG brand, if that tells you anything. Those and more are reviewed on the first post of this thread.

Nov 9, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #26,824 of 48,562
Ok so i looked at the original post and didnt catch this anywhere but how do I get chat with a xbox one? I have a mixamp connected to the xbox one via optical and my headphones connected to my fiio 09k in between the mix amp.... 

Nov 9, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #26,826 of 48,562
  Ok so i looked at the original post and didnt catch this anywhere but how do I get chat with a xbox one? I have a mixamp connected to the xbox one via optical and my headphones connected to my fiio 09k in between the mix amp.... 

You need to buy the Xbox One headset adapter and then run a 2.5mm cable from the mixamp to your controller.

Nov 9, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #26,827 of 48,562

The reason why is the OP doesn't have an Xbox One. I don't either (go with what Stillhart said), but what I have heard is that you have to buy extra stuff and have fewer settings options than with the 360.

Is the sound blaster zxr worth getting for gaming and music? How does it compare to the z and asus stx?

The OP only has a laptop, one he can connect a console to. This is primarily a console and headphone review thread, for soundcard's ask at NamelessPFG's thread that was linked in the first post.

Nov 9, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #26,828 of 48,562
Astro Mix amp question. 
Has anyone run the mixamp into a 2nd amp. 
In some games when using chat the volume us super low and I have volume turned up to 100% on the amp, and the game/chat mix ratio is about 98% to 2%. 
I would like some extra amping for this. 

ALSO I have some headphones like Q701s that need a little more to really shine (also looking into stuff like the HD650 which I am pretty sure would require amping) 

I am looking into getting a amp for home use and running the astro mix amp 3. headphone out to RCA into another amp. This wold also cut done on me switching headphones jacks every two seconds I want to listen to music, watch tv, and play games. (I use headphones 95% of the time at home, but I am switching between 3 different crappy amps right now)
Astro for gaming. sub 100$ surround sound amp for TV and movies not even really meant for headphones, and a Behringer UCA202/BravoV2 for music (decent but noisy as hell. Fun but not ideal for everyday listening). 

So my biggest question is: Astro Mix amp to secondary amp. What do you think? 

Nov 9, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #26,830 of 48,562
I use an amp (nice +$200 tube amp) with my surround devices often, though in my case I can use a USB mic with my Playstation so I use the DSS (which has less background noise than a Mixamp). I connected an amp to the Recon3D USB too.

I just sold my Q701 three days ago (was still happy with it but I had 3 AKG's), if I just had a Q701 and wanted an amp I'd buy a Project Starlight or similar from Garage1217. Or save up for something higher end.

I'll probably pick up the SoundBlaster X7 after it comes out, it'll be $350-400 when it comes out; kind of on the expensive side, but considering all the features it seems like a fair price (I can make use of most of them and replace many separate devices). The soundcards dropped about $50, but only after holding strong for several months and I don't know if $50 savings is worth waiting half a year before enjoying it. I'll probably keep my tube amp anyway as an option, rolling tubes is fun and the sound has a touch of "magic" or euphoria to it.

Nov 9, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #26,831 of 48,562
I use an amp (nice +$200 tube amp) with my surround devices often, though in my case I can use a USB mic with my Playstation so I use the DSS (which has less background noise than a Mixamp). I connected an amp to the Recon3D USB too.

I just sold my Q701 three days ago (was still happy with it but I had 3 AKG's), if I just had a Q701 and wanted an amp I'd buy a Project Starlight or similar from Garage1217. Or save up for something higher end.

I'll probably pick up the SoundBlaster X7 after it comes out, it'll be $350-400 when it comes out; kind of on the expensive side, but considering all the features it seems like a fair price (I can make use of most of them and replace many separate devices). The soundcards dropped about $50, but only after holding strong for several months and I don't know if $50 savings is worth waiting half a year before enjoying it. I'll probably keep my tube amp anyway as an option, rolling tubes is fun and the sound has a touch of "magic" or euphoria to it.

none of those are options for me. I live in Japan. options are vastless different, and often limited depending on your budgget. 
A USB mic is out of the question. I game with a boom mic using the M100s or X1. 

Using a USB mic you get simulated surround like the turtle beach or astro gives you with the Dolby headphone technology? 

Nov 9, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #26,832 of 48,562
  Astro Mix amp question. 
Has anyone run the mixamp into a 2nd amp. 
In some games when using chat the volume us super low and I have volume turned up to 100% on the amp, and the game/chat mix ratio is about 98% to 2%. 
I would like some extra amping for this. 

ALSO I have some headphones like Q701s that need a little more to really shine (also looking into stuff like the HD650 which I am pretty sure would require amping) 

I am looking into getting a amp for home use and running the astro mix amp 3. headphone out to RCA into another amp. This wold also cut done on me switching headphones jacks every two seconds I want to listen to music, watch tv, and play games. (I use headphones 95% of the time at home, but I am switching between 3 different crappy amps right now)
Astro for gaming. sub 100$ surround sound amp for TV and movies not even really meant for headphones, and a Behringer UCA202/BravoV2 for music (decent but noisy as hell. Fun but not ideal for everyday listening). 

So my biggest question is: Astro Mix amp to secondary amp. What do you think? 

Double amping the mixamp is definitely viable and often times suggested.  There's a section of the guide dedicated to inexpensive amps you could use with it.  I'd suggest starting there.

Nov 10, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #26,833 of 48,562

Bruh, they are currently at 80 to 90 on amazon right now...the Z cards of course. BF they will drop to that again. I just hate how amazon does this all the time.....but eh, i can wait...getting a Z card for PC only and I will buy a better DAC and AMP and use optical to pass through the Z cards amp.

but thats later though lol

edit: i really want to try a tube amp though....hmmmmm

Nov 10, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #26,834 of 48,562
  You need to buy the Xbox One headset adapter and then run a 2.5mm cable from the mixamp to your controller.

^^^ Thanks for the info. Ok I got that part but what about chat itself, ie. talking through a mic.... How would I connect a mic to chat? 

Nov 10, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #26,835 of 48,562

^^^ Thanks for the info. Ok I got that part but what about chat itself, ie. talking through a mic.... How would I connect a mic to chat? 

You have a Y cable going into the Mixamp with heaphone and Mic plugged in on one end and the Mixamp on the other.

Go check out the picture in the guide on the first page of this thread called "Info, and how to attach external amps...".  Then just leave out the amp and amp cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back