Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 10, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #26,851 of 48,562
  I tried the optical Modi with my Omni (same as the Z but external) and returned it after hearing no difference.  The DAC in the Z/Omni is quite decent and you're going to need to go a step above the Modi if you want to hear an improvement.

I ended up getting a used Audio-GD NFB-15.32, which cost about the same as the Schiit Stack after shipping and tax.  The DAC sounded noticeably better than the Modi or Omni.

If you wanted to just amp, the Magni will definitely give you a lot more power than the Z.  I haven't heard it so I can't comment on how it will sound.

Personally, I think the A-GD is a steal and worth the price even new.  I'd recommend that.

Regarding your headphones, the 598 is pretty good for gaming and I don't think the others will be much of an upgrade.  For music, tho, I suspect the K712 will be a step up.  Caveat:  I haven't personally heard the 598 or the Beyers or the K712.

Yeah, it will be used for both gaming and music. It's a tough call. I guess I can take the Audio-GD into consideration as well. Thanks for the helpful response.

Nov 10, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #26,852 of 48,562

Check in the audio panel whether the card has virtual surround built in. If it does buy an optical dac and amp to pair it with. If it doesn't buy a cheap PCI/PCIe card and connect dac/amp to that

It has sbx already built into the motherboard!!!

So, a dac/amp combo it is!

Nov 10, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #26,854 of 48,562

So, a dac/amp combo it is!

If it was me I would just do what Evshrug said and check out the Soundmagic HP100/HP150..i wouldn't bother with dac/amp combo and just use his soundblaster if the soundmagic aren't that hard to drive!

I know that integrated soundcards evolved past the terrible realtek my old pc has, but they still are mediocre at best.

Nov 10, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #26,856 of 48,562
  If my MOBO has optical out, I could get rid of the Sound Blaster Z as well, correct? Or it recommended to have a soundcard coupled with DAC and AMP?

Optical out doesn't necessarily mean it does surround processing.  Make sure it has decent surround processing before ditching the Z.

Nov 10, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #26,857 of 48,562

Optical out doesn't necessarily mean it does surround processing.  Make sure it has decent surround processing before ditching the Z.

I wouldn't know if this means good or bad. I'm assuming decent at best but this is from my mobo's spec page:

Realtek® ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC featuring Crystal Sound 2
- Supports : Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel MIC Jack-retasking
Audio Feature :
- Absolute Pitch 192kHz/ 24-bit True BD Lossless Sound
- DTS Ultra PC II
- DTS Connect
- Optical S/PDIF out port(s) at back panel
- Audio Shielding: Ensures precision analog/digital separation and greatly reduced multi-lateral interference
- Dedicated audio PCB layers: Separate layers for left and right channels to guard the quality of the sensitive audio signals
- Audio amplifier: Provides the highest-quality sound for headphone and speakers
- Premium Japanese-made audio capacitors: Provide warm, natural and immersive sound with exceptional clarity and fidelity
- Unique de-pop circuit: Reduces start-up popping noise to audio outputs
- Top notch audio sensation delivers according to the audio configuration
- EMI protection cover to prevent electrical noise to affect the amplifier quality

Nov 11, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #26,859 of 48,562
Have you guys seen the "new" AKG K7XXX? (yes, that's its name so far) Should be interesting for all those wanting to get those AKG K/Q7 series. 

Nov 11, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #26,860 of 48,562
Have you guys seen the "new" AKG K7XXX? (yes, that's its name so far) Should be interesting for all those wanting to get those AKG K/Q7 series. 

I haven't heard about it, but I looked it up. The K7XX looks like a limited edition all black(and gray?) version of the K712 and Annie. I'm curious if it sounds the same as the K712 or not.

Nov 11, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #26,862 of 48,562
For the love of headphones, AKG stop making 7xxx variants.

Pretty sure the KXXX was the name of the K812 before full reveal.

Nov 11, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #26,864 of 48,562
  Ey yo Envy!

Is the DT 770 + Modi/Magni combo a good setup for games like CSGO and mumble, and a little of BF3/BF4?

Yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back