Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 21, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #23,176 of 48,562
Ordered the k712's to try them out today, not sure what to do if these give me pain.

Have no worries. You bought the ones with the best comfort out of the AKG x7xx series...

Apr 21, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #23,177 of 48,562
Aight K612 + 702 pads = added warmth.
I did some A/B today and this is what the 702 pads do:
- reduce sibilance significantly
- reduce energy in upper mids and treble
- increase bass quantity
- maybe adds a little bit of width
- enhance comfort

So while I appreciate the sibilance tone down and increased comfort, I don't like everything else. Tis obviously a matter of preference

So I prefer the tonal balance of the stocks (minus sibilance and comfort)

Still it's a funny thing, how pads can essentially make two headphones out of one, definitely a plus.

Yes, this is definitely the difference I hear with the pad switch... and there definitely is a slight increase in width...

Unlike you, however, my tonal preference leans to liking this result over stock.

It truly is wonderful (as you mention) that you can get two different headphones with just the switch of the pads, with both being awesome in their own way. Big ups to AKG to be able to pull that off with their open line up, as not many headphones have a positive effect from pad switching.

Apr 21, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #23,178 of 48,562
Q701 + ModMic 3.0

The twisted cable is only temporary. I plan on making a 4-wire cable and converting the Q701's connector to a 4-pin xlr rather than it's 3-pin it has now, and then finding the connector the ModMic uses to connect to it's cable and install one directly to the headphone. It looks a little messy the way it is now.

Apr 22, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #23,181 of 48,562
Antlion should consider making a Modmic like Boompro that would surpass V-moda by also bundling in adapters that would allow the mic to be used with AKG headphones, Sennheisers, etc. For example: 2.5mm, 3.5mm, mini XLR adapters, all being skinny so they fit all types of recessed inputs.

Something like a Modmic cable edition for headphones with detachable cables.

Apr 22, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #23,182 of 48,562
Antlion should consider making a Modmic like Boompro that would surpass V-moda by also bundling in adapters that would allow the mic to be used with AKG headphones, Sennheisers, etc. For example: 2.5mm, 3.5mm, mini XLR adapters, all being skinny so they fit all types of recessed inputs.

Email them about it, they seem like a pretty small company at the moment. They haven't really even established what their demand is yet as far as I can tell. Something like this would bring in a lot of profit and could make the company huge if they do it right.

Apr 22, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #23,183 of 48,562

I'd love that! QUICK everyone show your support for this idea, then send an email to Antlion pointing to this thread to show what a good idea it is.

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #23,184 of 48,562
Hi all, I just joined this forum after browsing this thread for a few days. The amount of information is absolutely amazing! 

I am looking for a wireless solution for my 360 (I have the new 360 E model that MS decided to not have an optical out grr)... but because of this limitation, I think I can take advantage of the turtle beach HDAC (which takes 1 HDMI input and outputs HDMI and optical) or a similar adapter from Amazon.

So before reading this forum, I was looking at the Tritton Warhead, A50, PLYR1 (leaning towards this one), but then I saw the option about getting the older a40s with the 5.8 wireless mixer, which I could then use with any wired headset.

I figured if I'm gaming and don't care about talking to other players, I do have Klipsch X10s, which I love for my ipod esp when walking... but there may be times where I want to go all out and have nice big cans... but I also really like the option of going wireless... so now I am torn between getting either the PLYR1 or picking up the A40 with wireless 5.8 and then go from there (e.g. if I don't like the a40, sell just the cans and replace with some really high-end cans).

Anyway, this thread has a lot to browse, so I will continue to do so, otherwise, I am hoping for some advice regarding whether I should go the PLYR1 route or the wireless 5.8 route (adding my own wired to it if I don't like the A40 cans). I figured if I go the 5.8 route and eventually get some really high-end cans, then I can use them for PC audio too.... but my main reason for the latest interest is to have a wireless audio solution for my 360.. but because of no optical out on the new model, I wonder if I am going to suffer any quality issues since I would have to get the HDMI/optical splitter/converter/whatever.

My budget is very flexible, as I do not mind investing in something that is going to get me lots of use. :)

Apr 22, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #23,185 of 48,562
If you can splurge for the 5.8, I'd heavily advise on getting that, as it will be much more convenient for when you use other headphones. Just make sure to score a battery pack for the RX unit, as that thing eats regular batteries quick quickly, and the battery packs are the only things to charge while inside the RX unit. They last a while longer too.

Apr 22, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #23,186 of 48,562
I don't think you can use ANY surround processor with your Xbox if you don't have optical out.  That includes the things like PLYR1 and A50.  Can anyone confirm this?

In other news, Schiit has released their optical-in Modi DAC.  I ordered one this morning.  This will let me use it with my PC while still using my sound card to process virtual surround... best of both worlds!  Very exciting!

EDIT - Oh yeah, and I saw this on eBay.  Really decent starter set for people looking to get into this hobby:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Highend-Gaming-Headset-Setup-Beyer-Dynamic-DT990-Astro-Wireless-Mixamp-Modmic-/331177657253?pt=US_Video_Game_Headsets&hash=item4d1bba03a5

DT990 Pro, Mixamp 5.8 and Antlion modmic for $365 obo.

Further EDIT - Wow, the DT990 Pro is pretty cheap on Amazon right now.... lol

Apr 22, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #23,187 of 48,562
If you can splurge for the 5.8, I'd heavily advise on getting that, as it will be much more convenient for when you use other headphones. Just make sure to score a battery pack for the RX unit, as that thing eats regular batteries quick quickly, and the battery packs are the only things to charge while inside the RX unit. They last a while longer too.

Good to know, thanks! I am having trouble finding it new (I just see the non-wireless mixamp version), but I see a decent deal on a used 5.8/a40 that I may just get for now.. Do you think I will have any quality/latency issues by doing the hdmi/optical conversion that I need?

Apr 22, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #23,188 of 48,562
  I am looking for a wireless solution for my 360 (I have the new 360 E model that MS decided to not have an optical out grr)... but because of this limitation, I think I can take advantage of the turtle beach HDAC (which takes 1 HDMI input and outputs HDMI and optical) or a similar adapter from Amazon.

You'll be pleased to know that Microsoft made devices like this ages ago, before the HDMI 360 came out, and they can still be ordered from third party manufacturers. I used one for years with my 360. Can't speak to the TB model specifically as I had the Microsoft official version, but they don't make that and they're hard to find. Third party stuff is cheaper, at least.

http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Beach-Force%C2%AE-Adapter-Xbox-360/dp/B00B08REVY/

Apr 22, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #23,190 of 48,562
Holy cow INFO DUMP Still!

I don't think you can use ANY surround processor with your Xbox if you don't have optical out.  That includes the things like PLYR1 and A50.  Can anyone confirm this?

The original Xbox360 didn't have a built-in optical either, the optical was in the wide proprietary Xbox cable. After they added HDMI, what you can do is get a $5 audio dongle that's slim enough to plug in above the HDMI port, and that will have optical and RCA audio out.

In other news, Schiit has released their optical-in Modi DAC.  I ordered one this morning.  This will let me use it with my PC while still using my sound card to process virtual surround... best of both worlds!  Very exciting!

EDIT - Oh yeah, and I saw this on eBay.  Really decent starter set for people looking to get into this hobby:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Highend-Gaming-Headset-Setup-Beyer-Dynamic-DT990-Astro-Wireless-Mixamp-Modmic-/331177657253?pt=US_Video_Game_Headsets&hash=item4d1bba03a5

DT990 Pro, Mixamp 5.8 and Antlion modmic for $365 obo.

Further EDIT - Wow, the DT990 Pro is pretty cheap on Amazon right now.... lol

Quite a find. Man, you fell into this hobby DEEP!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back