Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 13, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #751 of 48,583
K that's good to know but what about in regards to using a mic at the same time? Will the mixamp still give it enough power? I remember reading something in zombie x thread that although impedance is low they have a high sensitivity? I dunno what that means but thought I'd mention it

Mar 13, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #752 of 48,583
I'd say they're low impedance, LOW sensitivity. They need about as much volume as the 250 and 600ohms, which was certainly a bit too much for the Mixamp with voice chat mixed in. However, I didn't try my DT880's with a mic, so I can't say. All I know is the mixamp won't clip with the 32ohm but will with the 600ohm.

Mar 13, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #753 of 48,583
im not sure wether you are located in the uk or usa but MLE but do you where i can buy the 600ohm in the uk for a good price? they seem very hard to find like my ad 900 were and i dont want to import and risk getting charged at customs again

Mar 13, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #754 of 48,583
Go to the sound science section and you'd see how many people say the DT880s sound almost exactly alike. Differences are blown out of proportion the same way ss amp differences are.

Depends on the amp and it's ability to push voltage. The same sensitivity but more resistance means it requires more voltage to power properly. Some amps just cannot push out enough voltage to discern the differences between them.Yes, the sound signatures are similar but in quality wise they are not the same SQ wise. I've tried them all on the same amp that can push more than enough voltage (AMB m^3 DIY design amp, one of the best out there). AFAIK, only me and joker have heard a majority of different DT770, DT880, and DT990's on the same setup.

Mar 13, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #755 of 48,583
After reading the thread when it was first started, I bought the PC 360. I then bought the JVC HA-RX900 about a week later along with a Labtec LVA-7330 mic. After trying them both out many times for my Bad Company 2 gaming sessions (PC), I sold my PC 360's. It's not that the JVC's are better than the 360's but they are equal in my opinion and after coming to that conclusion I couldn't see spending that much money for the Sennheiser's. So I sold them for about the same price I paid for them.

If you have been wanting to try the PC 360's but are hesitant about the cost then I highly suggest having a look at the JVC 900's (or 700's if you want to save even more $) with a dedicated mic attached. When I'm not gaming with the JVC's I am using them to watch movies and listen to music. They might not be the best at one single category but I feel they do a great job in most areas.

Mar 13, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #756 of 48,583
Good to know you are still using the mic I sold you.

I had the sony sa5000 and a clip mic, but my friends were complaining of background noise from my mic, so I decided to change my setup. I bought a sennheiser pc360, but later found a good deal in some 3 years old hd555, so I bought the hd555 too. After that I bought a labtec mic to mic mod the hd555. If things go as I predict, I will sell the pc360 and keep the hd555 since a lot of people say they share the same drivers.

Quote:
After reading the thread when it was first started, I bought the PC 360. I then bought the JVC HA-RX900 about a week later along with a Labtec LVA-7330 mic. After trying them both out many times for my Bad Company 2 gaming sessions (PC), I sold my PC 360's. It's not that the JVC's are better than the 360's but they are equal in my opinion and after coming to that conclusion I couldn't see spending that much money for the Sennheiser's. So I sold them for about the same price I paid for them.

If you have been wanting to try the PC 360's but are hesitant about the cost then I highly suggest having a look at the JVC 900's (or 700's if you want to save even more $) with a dedicated mic attached. When I'm not gaming with the JVC's I am using them to watch movies and listen to music. They might not be the best at one single category but I feel they do a great job in most areas.

Mar 14, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #757 of 48,583
Go to the sound science section and you'd see how many people say the DT880s sound almost exactly alike. Differences are blown out of proportion the same way ss amp differences are.

Depends on the amp and it's ability to push voltage. The same sensitivity but more resistance means it requires more voltage to power properly. Some amps just cannot push out enough voltage to discern the differences between them.Yes, the sound signatures are similar but in quality wise they are not the same SQ wise. I've tried them all on the same amp that can push more than enough voltage (AMB m^3 DIY design amp, one of the best out there). AFAIK, only me and joker have heard a majority of different DT770, DT880, and DT990's on the same setup.

Not to discredit you and Zombie's claims, but people like to turn a 5% difference into a 25% difference, same as they do with amps, which are meant to amp a headphone, not transform their signatures into something else.

In any case, with their setups and amps, they have tested a 32 vs 600 ohm, and a 250 vs 600ohm. The differences to them was so insignificant that they'd say it wasn't a difference. If you have to buy a $1000 amp to discern the differences, well... its just stupid to amp an amped Dolby Headphone signal with something so expensive just to justify getting the 600ohm.

Also for the purpose of gaming, the slight differences wouldn't even be noticeable as you are focusing on the games and not every particular nuance of the sound.

600ohm is overkill for the Mixamp, and can sound worse due to its inability to drive them well. So to drive them well, you'd have to amp the already amped signal which might be worse than just amping the 32 ohm with the Mixamp only.

Like I said, go to the sound science section to the DT880 thread, and you'd see just how many people can't tell the difference between the 250 and 600ohm. Its a huge debate, that will never end, but if the sound is so close to be debated, I'd rather get one more versatile and able to be properly driven by more source and amps than just shine with a ridiculously overpriced amp that not many can afford, and even then that's debateable.

If its one thing I learned on Head-Fi, its that people love to make something miniscule into something grand.

Mar 14, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #758 of 48,583
Here is what you do... don't take anyone's word for it and try out ALL DT-880 versions with your own ears. I don't think any of the differences are subtle and are easy to spot for some people. I do agree that it's only a 5% difference in sound quality but I wouldn't call that subtle. It all depends on what sound you want.

I tried all 3 and I EASILY heard a difference between them. I felt that the DT-880 250 ohm version had the best vocals and was the least fatiguing when it comes to it's treble. That's what my ears heard. DT-880 600 ohm version was too treble happy and the 32 ohm vocals I didn't like. I was actually surprised to find I liked the 250 ohm version more than the 600 ohm version. Most people who love classical will probably prefer the 600 ohm version for the extra treble and supposedly better bass.

I think this will make a slight difference in games and is important. Why would I want the most treble happy version if it bother's my ears and another version doesn't? One also has better mids than the other. Still even important for gaming.

BTW I think many people won't be able to tell the difference between all 3 versions. I think you do need some trained ears. No, I don't have golden ears or whatever, but they're good enough to spot the differences.

For most everyone though it's not worth upgrading from one version to the other unless you can do a return.

I do agree that most people blow it away out of proportion and say it's such a massive difference, but I don't agree that there is no difference in the sound since I've heard the differences myself.

Of course just get the easiest to drive version and be done with it! Chances are that if you don't like it you won't like any of the other versions! Actually I should just shut up with my stupid comments because I hated the 32 ohm version and only liked the 250/600 versions
k701smile.gif

Mar 14, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #759 of 48,583
Honestly don't believe it will make a lick of difference as if there's a difference its too subtle. Its not like going from a 595 to a 598. Its like EQ-ing half a decibel more or less. Not enough to make or break anything, especially for gaming.

I'd go for 32ohms.

Hate the 600ohm elitist nonsense. Its not practical for most people, yet they get it anyways because of the head-fi brainwashing.

I felt my 32ohm DT880 was every bit as good as the 600ohm DT990 and DT770 I had. And please don't say its because my amp can't handle it. That debate ended for me once milosz made the amp a/b comparison thread. Amps are the last thing I care about now. Once I get the Lyr, I'm done with that nonsense.

Mar 14, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #760 of 48,583

Quote:
Honestly don't believe it will make a lick of difference as if there's a difference its too subtle. Its not like going from a 595 to a 598. Its like EQ-ing half a decibel more or less. Not enough to make or break anything, especially for gaming.

I'd go for 32ohms.

Hate the 600ohm elitist nonsense. Its not practical for most people, yet they get it anyways because of the head-fi brainwashing.

I felt my 32ohm DT880 was every bit as good as the 600ohm DT990 and DT770 I had. And please don't say its because my amp can't handle it. That debate ended for me once milosz made the amp a/b comparison thread. Amps are the last thing I care about now. Once I get the Lyr, I'm done with that nonsense.

Are you saying that if you had to do it all over again you would get the DT990 32ohm instead of the 600 ohm? Would the astro mixamp be enough to power the DT990/32ohm with voice chat?

Mar 14, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #761 of 48,583
Well... since I do use my DT990 600Ohms 80% for music, and 20% for gaming... I think the minimal extra quality is worth the amp.

However, indeed, the need to use an amp btw mixamp and headphones, is a PAIN. (Since I move them from wok to home when I want to play single player).

So, if you will use them ONLY for gaming, the 32 Ohms would be enough, maybe, as MLE says.

btw... damn... those DT990 are US ~$300 now... seems they are not going down soon... glad I got them for ~220 last year...

Mar 14, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #762 of 48,583

Quote:

Are you saying that if you had to do it all over again you would get the DT990 32ohm instead of the 600 ohm? Would the astro mixamp be enough to power the DT990/32ohm with voice chat?

Yes on your first question, I'm not sure on your second question. If the 32ohm doesn't have the volume necessary when voice chat is mixed in, then it's pointless getting the 32ohm. I'd say the 250ohm would make the most sense as portable amps can drive 250ohms well, and 600ohms if you have an amp capable of handling 600hms with ease.

Still, I'd still say the 32ohm is the most versatile and capable of being driven by the most sources. I bought the 600ohm because of all the '600ohm is the best version of all the Premium Beyers talk'. I learned to take what Head-fiers say with a grain of salt. It'll all subjective opinions (including my own), so in the end buy what you think suits you best, not what people try to force onto you. One person says one thing is the best, then the rest follow. This is why no new headphone get tried. Everyone has the bandwagon mentality, and the lesser known products get kicked aside.

Reminds me of the Creative Aurvana Live or Denon D1001 topics. They're basically the same damn headphone, but people would suggest the Denon because it's a Denon, and it costs more so it must be better. @_@ The ONE person on here that actually DID try both, actually preferred the CAL, lol.

Mar 14, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #765 of 48,583

Quote:
What the heck is this? 

Anyone tried these out?  

http://dealzon.com/deals/sony-dr-ga500-headset

I was actually gonna buy this before I went for the HD598 (then to PC360).

Reviews by Steggy wasn't exactly enthusiastic about it. I've also heard the mic is pretty crappy. I was hoping it'd perform like a baby MDR-F1.

What gets me is that it's closed back, but fully open in front of the drivers. It's an awkward design.

As for the version with the surround decoder, it tacks on over $100 over the price of the headset alone and is said to perform pretty much like a Mixamp that only works on PC.

In the end... I'd skip this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back