Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 14, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #766 of 48,583
Weird and confusing looking headphone.  And i've never been a fan of those cheek mics that don't pick up your voice as well.

14 - 22,000 Hz freq response  :\

It also has an usual decoder box you can get that takes in analog surround inputs and pro-logic-fy's  it into a dobly-headphone-esque signal....I think...I don't really know TBH  :S

Mar 14, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #767 of 48,583
Dude, your avatar made me chuckle. XD

The HPX vice grip must have been too much in that cap. :)

Mar 14, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #768 of 48,583

Quote:

Yes on your first question, I'm not sure on your second question. If the 32ohm doesn't have the volume necessary when voice chat is mixed in, then it's pointless getting the 32ohm. I'd say the 250ohm would make the most sense as portable amps can drive 250ohms well, and 600ohms if you have an amp capable of handling 600hms with ease.

Still, I'd still say the 32ohm is the most versatile and capable of being driven by the most sources. I bought the 600ohm because of all the '600ohm is the best version of all the Premium Beyers talk'. I learned to take what Head-fiers say with a grain of salt. It'll all subjective opinions (including my own), so in the end buy what you think suits you best, not what people try to force onto you. One person says one thing is the best, then the rest follow. This is why no new headphone get tried. Everyone has the bandwagon mentality, and the lesser known products get kicked aside.

Reminds me of the Creative Aurvana Live or Denon D1001 topics. They're basically the same damn headphone, but people would suggest the Denon because it's a Denon, and it costs more so it must be better. @_@ The ONE person on here that actually DID try both, actually preferred the CAL, lol.

Well I don't really want to get the E9 if they Astro mixamp is enough for the DT900/250 ohm or the 32ohm with voice chat. I'll make a new thread or do a search and see if anyone has tried that setup yet.

Mar 14, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #769 of 48,583
There's NO point to make a new thread. All the gamers are undoubtedly visiting this thread, especially Mixamp owners. And the majority of Head-fiers all have 250-600ohm, not the 32ohm.

I'm gonna ask someone who DOES own a 32ohm DT880 AND a Mixamp. I'll just ask him to set the game/voice balance to about 1-2 o clock on the voice side, which is where a lot of people I know like their balance.

Mar 14, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #770 of 48,583

Quote:
Dude, your avatar made me chuckle. XD

The HPX vice grip must have been too much in that cap. :)

HAHA

Ya me and my friend couldn't decide if he was getting a BJ or taking it from behind, Lol

I apologize If I crossed a head-fi line, please don't ban me
normal_smile%20.gif

Mar 14, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #772 of 48,583
I thought I'd give the Edition 8 a go at gaming just for the craic last night.

It actually performed really well in a versus game of L4D2! This was with Dolby Headphone enabled and 8 channels.

Positioning and spacial awareness were really good. I could easily locate the special infected by their sounds and at one point dodged a charger that was charging from behind me without actually seeing it.

I think it's as good as my Pro900, but without the powerful bass masking details like smoker coughs or boomer gargles in heated battles with the horde!

Mar 15, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #773 of 48,583
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this post, or if I should go to the computer audio forum.

Anyway, I want a sound card that supports Dolby Digital Live output so that I can use my Mixamp with my PC.  I'm looking for the cheapest possible solution.

THis one: http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-SND-P8CH-8-Channel-High-Performance-Controller/dp/B000BRLY8O claims to have Dolby Digital Live, but descriptions of this card on other sites, don't seem to mention it, so I'm a little apprehensive.  It is only $15 though.

EDIT:

Maybe I got a little ahead of myself.  I do NEED a sound card that outputs Dolby Digital Live in order to get the Mixamp's 3d positional effect, right?

Mar 15, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #774 of 48,583
I believe all you need is to hook the Mixamp up to your PC with a USB connection.  If you have onboard sound that outputs optical you can also use that instead of USB to provide audio.  No special sound card is needed.

However, if you are just using it for the PC a dedicated soundcard would give you more control over dolby headphone settings allowing you to tweak the presentation to your liking.  The mixamp does not over that functionality.  

Mar 15, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #775 of 48,583

Quote:
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this post, or if I should go to the computer audio forum.

Anyway, I want a sound card that supports Dolby Digital Live output so that I can use my Mixamp with my PC.  I'm looking for the cheapest possible solution.

THis one: http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-SND-P8CH-8-Channel-High-Performance-Controller/dp/B000BRLY8O claims to have Dolby Digital Live, but descriptions of this card on other sites, don't seem to mention it, so I'm a little apprehensive.  It is only $15 though.

EDIT:

Maybe I got a little ahead of myself.  I do NEED a sound card that outputs Dolby Digital Live in order to get the Mixamp's 3d positional effect, right?

Have you tried looking at Asus Xonar DG?

Mar 16, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #776 of 48,583
[size=small]First of all, thank you to all who  made this post educational and interesting enough to read through all of it [size=small](yeah, I know, some crazy I am).  Nevertheless, I have come to a semi-conclusion of my headphone options but would like your opinion. [/size][/size]
[size=small][size=small][size=small]My requirements:[/size][/size][/size]
[size=small][size=small][size=small]-All around headphone: with slightly better performance for Xbox gaming over music & movies[/size][/size][/size]
[size=small][size=small][size=small]-Relatively inexpensive: <$200 but considering $200-300 range.[/size][/size][/size]
[size=small][size=small][size=small]-A headphone that does not require a separate amp (i.e. K70x) even though I will use voice chat over XBL.[/size][/size][/size]
[size=small][size=small][size=small]Of note: I will be using a mixamp 5.8 with these.[/size][/size][/size]
[size=small][size=small] [/size][/size]
[size=small][size=small][size=small]Based on all the opinions and comments in this thread, I’m leaning towards: hd595, hd598,  hd555 (modded to 595), dt990 (32ohm).  [/size][/size][/size]
[size=small][size=small][size=small]I know historically the 595 have been used and praised extensively for gaming however, I haven’t read many recent recommendations.  This may be due to the fact that they are older or the hd598 has overtaken them in performance or because of the cracking issues.  Therefore, the 598 would appear to have everything I would want but they are rather ugly in color (to me) so it comes down to the 595 or the dt990.  I’ve read that the dt990 32ohm are versatile and can be driven with the mixamp even with voice chat (correct me if I’m wrong).  What I am curious about is whether the dt990 32ohm will sound good when connected directly into an ipod/laptop without an external amp (E7, E9, etc).  If I needed to, I may buy the E5 (because it’s inexpensive) when using my ipod/laptop to help drive the dt990 although not sure if this would make any difference.  My biggest hesitation though is getting something that will require an E7/E9 amp.  What do you guys think?  Thanks for your help and input, this thread has been extremely informative as I’ve already bought the dealextreme mic over the zalman that I once read so much about.  One last thing to consider, I have a $200 gift card to Sony website that I can potentially use to buy Sony headphones although I have not seen many recommendations for Sony phones (except for older one like the MDR-F1, which is no longer sold on their website) and their selection is limited ([/size][size=small]http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=28873&N=4294966060&catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&accessory=true[/size][size=small]).   I'm also open to suggestions/recommendations.  Thanks again and sorry for the long post.[/size][/size][/size]

Mar 16, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #777 of 48,583
If you think HD598s are ugly you could look at the HD558s, which can be had for ~$130 i believe...

Mar 16, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #779 of 48,583

Quote:
The 598s are ugly? My god, I think they're the most beautiful headphones I've ever seen.

I thought they were beautiful too, until I saw them in person. They are gaudy, plasticky, and UGLY as sin in person. Don't go off what you seen in pictures. Good thing that they at least sound great.

Plastic works when it's in a dark color, like the PC360 and HD558. That cream color just really highlights how cheap the plastic looks.

Mar 16, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #780 of 48,583

Quote:
There's NO point to make a new thread. All the gamers are undoubtedly visiting this thread, especially Mixamp owners. And the majority of Head-fiers all have 250-600ohm, not the 32ohm.

I'm gonna ask someone who DOES own a 32ohm DT880 AND a Mixamp. I'll just ask him to set the game/voice balance to about 1-2 o clock on the voice side, which is where a lot of people I know like their balance.

The MMX 300 are 32ohm and sound great with the Mixamp only.  I have added the E9 and holy crap!!!!! way better now. With that said, if price has you in a spot then go 32 ohm so you dont "need" to amp after the Mixamp.  If you want the best SQ (IMO), then Mixamp + Amp and youre "WINNING!!!" Yeah I look like the dude in the poster when I rock my MMX 300's, what? 

I think Ill scoop some PC360's soon so I can do a good compare of the Beyer MMX 300 to them side by side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back