Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 7, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #721 of 48,583
I dunno but I had the best surround experience with Left 4 Dead especially. The positional sound was extremely accurate and it was easy to kill zombies hiding behind trees or another side of the wall, too bad it got too repetitive for me. Was funny walking up a corridor, hearing boomer camping in a room further ahead just waiting for the players to pass, I just shoot it through the wall before going past the room. :p I don't use dolby headphone though (and neither CMSS3D).

CoD Black Ops is one game I've had probs getting clear surround sound with though.

Mar 7, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #723 of 48,583
Not sure but I only played the first. Building walls could certainly be shot through at least, killed many zombies like that based on the direction the grumping noises came from. ^^ It's based on thickness of the wall it seems and some penetrate thicker walls like hunting rifle and assaut rifle. Here's one page with some statistics http://www.straferight.com/forums/action-adventure/180063-l4d-weapons-infected-damage-stats.html (I do think it can go through more than one wall myself and probably the total thickness of the walls that determines it or something is my guess)

Having great positional sound is almost like a cheat for this game, sooooooo useful and makes it much more difficult for zombie team.

Mar 7, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #724 of 48,583
L4D's sound engine is very well made indeed,you need not a very good setup to accurately discern a certain sound cue 
for black ops you will need to do a console command to get the sounds right

Mar 7, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #725 of 48,583

Quote:
for black ops you will need to do a console command to get the sounds right

What console command? Was trying to play through single player campaign but the bad sound compared to all other games I've played recently was too much for me to handle. Sound positioning isn't far the only problem but the fact that the weapons sound like toyguns at best and even with a bass boost on my XB500 doesn't change that cuz they are so high pitched. :p

Mar 7, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #726 of 48,583

Quote:
Edit - Just thought of a problem:  How would I voice chat with an amp?  I assume you would go 3.5mm-to-3.5mm from the Rx's headphone jack to the amp's line in, but then what?  Plugging the Astro Y-adapter into the E9 wouldn't allow for voice chat, would it?

There are some diagrams on page 26 of this thread on how to hook up through an amp...
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/534479/mad-lust-envy-aka-shin-cz-s-guide-to-headphone-gaming-particularly-with-dolby-headphone/375

Mar 9, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #727 of 48,583
Hello everyone

I'm planning to buy a pair of DT990 600OHM + FIIO E9 + Mix Amp

The thing is i want to have the E9 plugged into my ps3 and my pc at the same time,

( I'm using the digital out of the Xonar to connect my speakers so connecting the PC to the Mix-Amp is not possible )

I have an Asus Xonar Essence STX, is there anyway to accomplish this? 

Disconnecting and connecting the headphones would be to much hassle

Mar 10, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #728 of 48,583

Quote:
Hello everyone

I'm planning to buy a pair of DT990 600OHM + FIIO E9 + Mix Amp

The thing is i want to have the E9 plugged into my ps3 and my pc at the same time

I have an Asus Xonar Essence STX, is there anyway to accomplish this? 

Disconnecting and connecting the headphones would be to much hassle

You could get a music fairy adapter to plug your mixamp into your ps3 and then connect the usb cable to your pc for the voice chat part.  For the game sound you could connect the coaxial output on your soundcard to the mixamp and then the optical from the ps3 to the mixamp.  I think that should work.

Mar 10, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #729 of 48,583
I Don't really care about voice,

The problem is my coax port is used for my 5.1 speakers,

I need a way to connect two sources to the Fiio E9 Amp (Pc and Ps3) without using the digital out of the Xonar

Thx for your help

Mar 10, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #730 of 48,583
@RPGWiZaRD - ur playing the PC version yes? for singleplayer i guess u can turn sound occlusion off in options,for multiplayer u can do seta snd_losOcclusion "1" . as for rifles sounding like toyguns im afraid u cant do anything about it there,sorry.

Mar 10, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #731 of 48,583

Quote:
I Don't really care about voice,

The problem is my coax port is used for my 5.1 speakers,

I need a way to connect two sources to the Fiio E9 Amp (Pc and Ps3) without using the digital out of the Xonar

Thx for your help

Perhaps get some kind of digital audio splitter/switch and send signals to your speakers and the mixamp?

Mar 10, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #732 of 48,583

Quote:

Perhaps get some kind of digital audio splitter/switch and send signals to your speakers and the MixAmp?

Unfortunately that's not an option, digital connection form my PC to the MixAmp is not possible as all my digital ports are connected to something right now and I'm using lots of splitters already (I have Xbox and PS3 connected to MixAmp and Speakers with optical splitters) 

My only option is to connect the 3.5mm plug form the MixAmp and the one from the Xonar to the Fiio E9 Amp at the same time. This is the only option i seem to have 

(besides manually disconnecting and connecting which has led to many many head and back injuries as bumped my head against the corner of my desk every single time)

Anyone knows of a switch or splitter that would allow me to do this or some other solution?
Whats the line-in connector of the Xonar for? Could that be of any help here?

There's has to be something i can do

Mar 10, 2011 at 8:01 AM Post #733 of 48,583
Yep I think you are right.

To achive two inputs into the E9 you could try a 3.5mm splitter to share the line in port.

http://www.gindart.com/buy/35mm-male-to-dual-female-audio-adapter-splitter-for-ipod-iphone-p-508.html

It might work however as its in reverse you may need a switch \ joiner rather than a splitter, but thats not as common.  You could use a KVM with audio ports but thats not exactly elegant.

The basic splitter is cheap enough to give it a try. Failing that either you have to swap the e9 cable over or get a new amp with two inputs.

Fortunately my amp has two inputs so I bypass this problem.

Quote:
My only option is to connect the 3.5mm plug form the MixAmp and the one from the Xonar to the Fiio E9 Amp at the same time. This is the only option i seem to have

Mar 10, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #735 of 48,583
Regarding that splitter I think I've heard somewhere that connecting two sources to a common splitter could potentially damage the sources, is this info correct? anyone knows?

About buying an amp with two inputs I would had absolutely no problem with that. The thing is that I picked the E9 because MLE recommended it for the DT990 as he said that the Beyer's

needed a particular kind of amp for use with DH, one that was neutral, that wouldn't distort their natural sound.

If someone could recommend another amp with two inputs for the DT990 with the same characteristics as the E9 that would be awesome

Would the Matrix M-Stage V2 work?

I'm very open to suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back