Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 1, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #45,377 of 48,562
I
That's a good question, I'm gonna give it a go. I have a usb C to big usb A to connect my 8bitdo wireless controller adapter to my Nintendo Switch.

I'll report back.

EDIT:

Can confirm: THIS WORKS PERFECTLY (made sure to turn off Bluetooth to know it was 100% on dongle frequency) on my Note 20 Ultra (not sure if it'll work on other phones). So if you are like at work or somewhere where you're just using the phone for audio, this is great, and will be better than using the Bluetooth, which is only limited to SBC, and AAC post launch. May as well try if/when you have a Penrose. Just make sure to get a type C male to Type A female cable, which shouldn't be hard on Amazon and other etailers.

Obviously if you are mobile, I'd probably stick to Bluetooth to not mess up your phone's port or the dongle from breaking.

ALSO!

Penrose also works perfectly with the Switch! I'd probably try and find a way to hold the cable behind the system while holding it, but yeah, this is great.
I have another question IRT connectivity but you may not be able to answer since you may not have a set of Penrose X for testing. I've heard a few rumours that the Penrose X will work on both Xbox Series X and the PS5 but not the other way around (meaning the Penrose for PlayStation will only work on PlayStation).

I currently have the Penrose pre ordered but if I found out the Penrose X works with both I'd definitely change to the Penrose X.

Edit: if you do have a set of Penrose X, I'd be interested to know if they connect to the PS4.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #45,379 of 48,562
How does waves nx handle the situation if you have a 2 channel dac? Does it create a 7.1 sound device?
Waves NX will install a virtual sound driver, and you config the app to play out your desired audio device. The Virtual driver reports multichannel support to the apps, and mixes it down to HRTF 2.0 for your device to play.

Nov 1, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #45,380 of 48,562
Do I need a special soundcard/dac for good spatial awareness in games? IE in Warzone, I need to pinpoint the footsteps as best as possible. I currently go from my computer to the JDS Element II as my DAC/Amp, and I'm selling my Focal Elear because they give me a headache. If I get a K712, should I be good to go, or should I use a different DAC/soundcard? Do I need a separate software?

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #45,381 of 48,562
I'm currently with a Penrose, not a Penrose X.

How does waves nx handle the situation if you have a 2 channel dac? Does it create a 7.1 sound device?
Yes, it behaves as a 7.1 device.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #45,382 of 48,562
Do I need a special soundcard/dac for good spatial awareness in games? IE in Warzone, I need to pinpoint the footsteps as best as possible. I currently go from my computer to the JDS Element II as my DAC/Amp, and I'm selling my Focal Elear because they give me a headache. If I get a K712, should I be good to go, or should I use a different DAC/sound card? Do I need a separate software?
You have many options for headphone surround sound.
Whatever headphone surround sound functions that might come included with some games
Older Creative sound cards with CMSS-3D
Newer Creative sound cards with the SoundCore 3D DSP chip (SBX and Scout Mode)
Creative's SBX software (X-Fi, $30) that runs off your motherboard's onboard audio (built in sound card).
There is Dolby Headphone surround sound (older Asus cards?)
Newer Asus cards with Sonic Radar.
Several third parties that offer a software package for headphone surround sound.
A few people prefer to use stereo (2.0) audio for surround sound gaming.
Other stuff that offers headphone surround sound, that I'm not really familiar with.

One option is to get a DAC that uses an optical input, connect it to the motherboard's optical output port and run an analog connection from the DAC's output port (line-output) to the input port (RCA) on the Element II
And get Creative's $30 software, this way the processed headphone surround sound is sent out thru the motherboard's optical port.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #45,383 of 48,562
So I decided to give Waves NX software a go. Immediately would say that of all the software based virtual surrounds, this one is the best. And the license is only $10. There is a 30 day free trial though.

Why do I think it's the best? Because they actually put some distance between you and the sound cues, which Windows Sonic, Dolby Atmos, and DTS Headphone X software based options lack.

You can chose three presets between Voice, Multimedia, and Movie Theater. Multimedia is the most balanced, but it still lacks a bit of room size. So I'd say Movie Theater is the choice I'd make. Rear audio cues are noticeably behind you, as opposed to the others. Ideally I'd make the room size a little smaller than Movie Theater, but for the sake of positional accuracy, it's fine.

I think for pure SQ's sake Dolby Atmos and Waves NX Multimedia are on par with one another. But when I play, if I have to sacrifice a little bit of SQ for surround size and accuracy, I will, hence why I use Movie Theater.

This just brings up what I wish all these had, and that is a room size slider. It's annoying that they aren't there.

So in a pinch, I'd recommend ANYONE the Waves NX software for easy virtual surround, if you don't have hardware.
I tried this before and I think the reverb is too much, especially in Movie Theater mode. Sure it gives you an impression of a very wide speaker-like sound field but the sound quality seems to noticeably degrade. Maybe I will try it again later.

Nov 2, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #45,384 of 48,562
If i have to sacrifice sound quality of the virtual surround to get more distance between me and the sound cues, where I can noticeably discern front and back, I'm willing to give it up. Yes, movie theater has more reverb, but I can clearly make out what's behind me, as opposed to the other presets where it may take me a moment to know if something is in front or behind me.

Being able to locate where sounds are coming from vastly outweighs the quality of the sound for me. Hence why I've always said I'd take a KSC75 in virtual surround over an HD800 in stereo.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #45,385 of 48,562
Hi all! Just wondering if I could get a little help. I've been reading about this stuff for a week and a half now and I am just plain confused. I wanted a good set of headphones for PS5. I slowly settled on a pair of HD560s and a G6amp. I wanted something I could buy in Canada and return if needed. Also I wanted to be able to move between my office and the living room where I game.

Am I way off base here? The cost has escalated way past what I initially was planning on spending thanks to the amp. I started looking at PC38x and was about to order it, but I got cold feet because I can't return it. Also started seeing some negative reviews in forums.

It's hard for me to judge this stuff. I've never had a good set of headphones. My use case is classical music during the day in the office and some gaming at night. I started looking at closed backs but it seems like open backs would give me a nice sound, be easier to wear and let me hear family when I need to.

I just want to get a sense if I'm going in the right direction. I've read all the guides and I think I know less than I did when I started....

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #45,386 of 48,562
Hi all! Just wondering if I could get a little help. I've been reading about this stuff for a week and a half now and I am just plain confused. I wanted a good set of headphones for PS5. I know nothing has been confirmed yet, but I slowly settled on a pair of HD560s and a G6amp. I know there are other options, but I wanted something I could buy in Canada and return if needed. Also I wanted to be able to move between my office and the living room where I game.

Am I way off base here? The cost has escalated way past what I initially was planning on spending (THANKS APPARENTLY NECESSARY AMP!), so part of me wonders if I should just throw in the towel and grab the Penrose instead. It definitely seems easier than all this wired stuff. My whole use case was music during the day in the office and some gaming at night. I've never tried open backs, but they seem to fit that use case and the sound leakage doesn't seem excessive for late night play. I don't want to wake up the whole house when I'm trying to relax, but hearing if someone needs me if helpful.

Sorry, bit of a ramble, I just want to get a sense if I'm going in the right direction. I've read all the guides and I think I know less than I did when I started....

You won't wake up the house with open backs, at the worst someone in the same room may hear some light noise, but I game about 2m away from my wife when she's on the couch and she has only noticed a couple of times.

While the headphone choice may stay the same, I'd recommend holding off until the PS5 comes out before purchasing a DAC/Amp, as we're not really sure what will work yet, ideally you want a device that can plug in via USB and provide the tempest surround track, so while the G6 may work, I don't think it's been confirmed yet.

Nov 2, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #45,387 of 48,562
You won't wake up the house with open backs, at the worst someone in the same room may hear some light noise, but I game about 2m away from my wife when she's on the couch and she has only noticed a couple of times.

While the headphone choice may stay the same, I'd recommend holding off until the PS5 comes out before purchasing a DAC/Amp, as we're not really sure what will work yet, ideally you want a device that can plug in via USB and provide the tempest surround track, so while the G6 may work, I don't think it's been confirmed yet.

Thanks! I edited my post a bit to make it a little more clear. Can the PS4 pad drive these headphones at all?

Nov 2, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #45,388 of 48,562
Thanks! I edited my post a bit to make it a little more clear. Can the PS4 pad drive these headphones at all?

Not having those specific headphones, I can't say for sure, when I plug my K7xx (64ohms) in, I have to pretty much max volume, so you may find you have to do the same. I'm just going to plug into my headphones until we have a better answer, but may use some of the my other headphones which have lower impedance.

Nov 2, 2020 at 8:03 AM Post #45,389 of 48,562
I second waiting on ps5 for dac/amp or purchases. If anything the 560 should at least get moderate volume on the controller jack until you get a dac/amp.

And I'd like to know who would hate on the PC38X. That headset is AWESOME. Considering that the 560 is leaner and more analytical, I'd personally go for the PC38X which is great for everything. It's very well rounded.

Nov 2, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #45,390 of 48,562
I second waiting on ps5 for dac/amp or purchases. If anything the 560 should at least get moderate volume on the controller jack until you get a dac/amp.

And I'd like to know who would hate on the PC38X. That headset is AWESOME. Considering that the 560 is leaner and more analytical, I'd personally go for the PC38X which is great for everything. It's very well rounded.
Could someone paint the 38x all black and remove the mic? I'll pay extra lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back