Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 31, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #45,361 of 48,562
Curious, do you know if the penrose works in low latency wireless on mobile via apple donger usb adapter / android equivalent?

Also great review for the he5xx! If you still remember the sound, can you compare the 5xx to the edition xx or the ananda?
That's a good question, I'm gonna give it a go. I have a usb C to big usb A to connect my 8bitdo wireless controller adapter to my Nintendo Switch.

I'll report back.

EDIT:

20201031_004356.jpg

20201031_003307.jpg

Can confirm: THIS WORKS PERFECTLY (made sure to turn off Bluetooth to know it was 100% on dongle frequency) on my Note 20 Ultra (not sure if it'll work on other phones). So if you are like at work or somewhere where you're just using the phone for audio, this is great, and will be better than using the Bluetooth, which is only limited to SBC, and AAC post launch. May as well try if/when you have a Penrose. Just make sure to get a type C male to Type A female cable, which shouldn't be hard on Amazon and other etailers.

Obviously if you are mobile, I'd probably stick to Bluetooth to not mess up your phone's port or the dongle from breaking.

ALSO!

20201031_005059.jpg

Penrose also works perfectly with the Switch! I'd probably try and find a way to hold the cable behind the system while holding it, but yeah, this is great.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #45,363 of 48,562
That's a good question, I'm gonna give it a go. I have a usb C to big usb A to connect my 8bitdo wireless controller adapter to my Nintendo Switch.

I'll report back.

EDIT:

20201031_004356.jpg

20201031_003307.jpg

Can confirm: THIS WORKS PERFECTLY (made sure to turn off Bluetooth to know it was 100% on dongle frequency) on my Note 20 Ultra (not sure if it'll work on other phones). So if you are like at work or somewhere where you're just using the phone for audio, this is great, and will be better than using the Bluetooth, which is only limited to SBC, and AAC post launch. May as well try if/when you have a Penrose. Just make sure to get a type C male to Type A female cable, which shouldn't be hard on Amazon and other etailers.

Obviously if you are mobile, I'd probably stick to Bluetooth to not mess up your phone's port or the dongle from breaking.

ALSO!

20201031_005059.jpg

Penrose also works perfectly with the Switch! I'd probably try and find a way to hold the cable behind the system while holding it, but yeah, this is great.
Thanks a bunch! I’ve been on the fence about ordering the penrose but I might give it a shot. Any comparisons to the LCD-1 in sound or is that reserved for your future review?

Oct 31, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #45,364 of 48,562
Guys, I just got my X2HRs today and I'm not seeing how these are considered special? Coming from an Anker Soundcore Vortex, I'm not impressed at all. It's kind of difficult to tell where footsteps are in CS:GO and others' voice quality is so bad; both these things were much better with the Anker Vortex. LOL. The X2HRs just sound muddy and veiled.. weird.

Am I mistaken? Is it a problem with the wire or the splitter I'm using (which turns mic and audio into one jack)? I'm using Amazon's cable boom mic since V-Moda wasn't available.

BTW, I'm not using an amp or DAC.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2020 at 1:36 AM Post #45,365 of 48,562
Guys, I just got my X2HRs today and I'm not seeing how these are considered special? Coming from an Anker Soundcore Vortex, I'm not impressed at all. It's kind of difficult to tell where footsteps are in CS:GO and others' voice quality is so bad; both these things were much better with the Anker Vortex. LOL. The X2HRs just sound muddy and veiled.. weird.

Am I mistaken? Is it a problem with the wire or the splitter I'm using (which turns mic and audio into one jack)? I'm using Amazon's cable boom mic since V-Moda wasn't available.

BTW, I'm not using an amp or DAC.
Mine is crystal clear, maybe even a bit bright. Muddy is the last word I would use to describe this pair. Imaging may be somewhat inferior compared to other headphones though so maybe that's why you find it difficult to tell footsteps. Mid is distant and quiet but I won't say it's bad. I actually enjoy listening to podcast with the x2hr very much (I like the grating feel in the treble).

Nov 1, 2020 at 1:54 AM Post #45,366 of 48,562
Mine is crystal clear, maybe even a bit bright. Muddy is the last word I would use to describe this pair. Imaging may be somewhat inferior compared to other headphones though so maybe that's why you find it difficult to tell footsteps. Mid is distant and quiet but I won't say it's bad. I actually enjoy listening to podcast with the x2hr very much (I like the grating feel in the treble).
Hmm, might be imaging then. Sorry for calling them muddy, I guess veiled is a more proper term. They sound like someone who has a hand over their mouth lol. I'm trying to see if my opinions change though. But for $160, I was expecting them to be way way better.

Nov 1, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #45,367 of 48,562
Whenever you listen to one headphone for a while, and then listen to another, even if you are going from a so so headphone to a good one, it will sound weird. Not necessarily bad, just "off." Your brain gets used to the headphone you're using and anything else just sounds strange. But that feeling passes. Also aren't the Anker noise cancelling? Getting used to that will definitely make anything else sound strange at first.

Give the X2HR's a little more time would be my humble suggestion.

Nov 1, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #45,368 of 48,562
Whenever you listen to one headphone for a while, and then listen to another, even if you are going from a so so headphone to a good one, it will sound weird. Not necessarily bad, just "off." Your brain gets used to the headphone you're using and anything else just sounds strange. But that feeling passes. Also aren't the Anker noise cancelling? Getting used to that will definitely make anything else sound strange at first.

Give the X2HR's a little more time would be my humble suggestion.
I agree with you to an extent but I still believe it's kind of apparent that these are noticeably veiled.
Anker Vortex are bluetooth but no, not noise-cancelling.
I'll try to get used to the sound and give it another thought though, yeah.

Nov 1, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #45,369 of 48,562
So I decided to give Waves NX software a go. Immediately would say that of all the software based virtual surrounds, this one is the best. And the license is only $10. There is a 30 day free trial though.

Why do I think it's the best? Because they actually put some distance between you and the sound cues, which Windows Sonic, Dolby Atmos, and DTS Headphone X software based options lack.

You can chose three presets between Voice, Multimedia, and Movie Theater. Multimedia is the most balanced, but it still lacks a bit of room size. So I'd say Movie Theater is the choice I'd make. Rear audio cues are noticeably behind you, as opposed to the others. Ideally I'd make the room size a little smaller than Movie Theater, but for the sake of positional accuracy, it's fine.

I think for pure SQ's sake Dolby Atmos and Waves NX Multimedia are on par with one another. But when I play, if I have to sacrifice a little bit of SQ for surround size and accuracy, I will, hence why I use Movie Theater.

This just brings up what I wish all these had, and that is a room size slider. It's annoying that they aren't there.

So in a pinch, I'd recommend ANYONE the Waves NX software for easy virtual surround, if you don't have hardware.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #45,370 of 48,562
So I decided to give Waves NX software a go. Immediately would say that of all the software based virtual surrounds, this one is the best. And the license is only $10. There is a 30 day free trial though.

Why do I think it's the best? Because they actually put some distance between you and the sound cues, which Windows Sonic, Dolby Atmos, and DTS Headphone X software based options lack.

You can chose three presets between Voice, Multimedia, and Movie Theater. Multimedia is the most balanced, but it still lacks a bit of room size. So I'd say Movie
I have to agree. Of the all I tested, this is the best easy software add-on for 3D DPS games when the aim is sound-localization and not just gimmicky echo. Good find!

Nov 1, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #45,371 of 48,562
Offtopic question: Is Drop even worth iy for people outside the US?
I live in Canada. when I purchased a HD6xx, I as dinged for HST. It was now over 2 years ago and I still them out occasionally. Drop (formally, Massdrop) treated me fairly when the stock cable shorted out. instead of replacing the cable, they gave me a refund. It was based on how much a Senheisser replacement cable cable would cost. Since I replaced that cable (with Senheisser’s fragile cup jacks), I’ve been pleased with it. Som yes @Trancefreak , I’d give Drop a try!
Forgive me for my newb questions, but is a dac/amp + HE-5xx or the Sennheiser 6xx not doable on a console like PS5? I'm going to be doing half my gaming on PS5, so would that mean I need headphones that do not require an amp? Also, would something like PS5 3d audio be possible with this combo?
Welcome to the forum, @jessjj ! Before I got silly (and purchased many brushed aluminum boxes and [at last count, 4 different cans]), I attempted to drive an elderly pair of HD515 ‘phones.... using just my console-controller’s jack output. It sounded anemic. Eventually, I purchased a used TurtleBeach Earforce DSS2 dac/amp (for about 50 bucks CAD). I plugged it into my Xbox’s TOSLINK, and used its USB port to power the DSS2. I then played the Witcher (Wild Hunt).
................holy s@@t. I was pleasantly surprised. External DAC-amps do not have to be expensive. Hell, this little box might be your solution. My vote: don’t bother with the console’s or controllers’ built-in jack. :ksc75smile:

Nov 1, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #45,372 of 48,562
Question is whether the PS5 will recognize the Fulla and other Schiit dacs properly.

A Schiit Hel would be ideal if it does.

Nov 1, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #45,373 of 48,562
Nov 1, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #45,374 of 48,562
Btw... if the $99 price tag for the current Fulla is too much, I’d recommend one of their B stocks. My 2 cents...

Nov 1, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #45,375 of 48,562
Well that's great. I def recommend the Fulla if not using big boy headphones, and Hel if you are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back