Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 2, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #44,899 of 48,564
So is it true that Tube Amp will give a bigger soundstage? And anyone in here using a tube amp for gaming? I might get a tube amp and try it out.
For me, my tube buffer improves stage depth, especially in front, not so much for the sides. It also enhanced sound separation, and some tubes do it better than others. So my DT-1990 image in the soundfield better. (Rear cues especially)

Aug 3, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #44,901 of 48,564
I definitely would not ever consider any amp for additional benefits of surround cues. You're dealing single percentages to fractions of percentages there. The bulk of soundstage performance will be the headphones and the virtual surround being used, especially if the virtual surround has room size adjustments. Like SBX having 0-100% surround size. Obviously 100% will give you the most depth, etc. If you're having problems with rear audio cues, a tube amp ain't the magic fix.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #44,902 of 48,564
Have you reviewed the HyperX Cloud Alpha? I don't see it in the list and a lot of pro's I watch stream use it. I purchased a pair a while back and prefer it over any Razer or Turtle Beach I've owned.

Replaceable cable and pads, comfortable for hours, easy to control volume and get really loud as needed. It is also built exceptionally well. Customer services is great and will answer questions within a few days.

I would love to hear your thoughts on it.

Aug 4, 2020 at 5:14 AM Post #44,904 of 48,564
Aug 4, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #44,906 of 48,564
After a lot of research and using Mad Lust Envy's excellent guide, I think I've reached my final two contenders for a "fun", wide, open-back headphone to be used primarily for console gaming for around $200.

Philips Fidelio X2HR or the Beyerdynamic TYGR 300 R

I'm mostly a single-player guy, but not opposed to some multi-player games (non-competitively) from time to time. At the moment not planning to utilize a DAC/AMP (hence low impedance headphones), but something I'd be considering adding at a later date.

Any thoughts/suggestions on either of the above? Perhaps another set that I've overlooked worth mentioning?

I think you've narrowed it down to two great choices. Personally, I love my TYGRs. They just sound so clean and clear. I like the V signature too. I don't have too much experience with the X2HR though, so I can't really compare. From the short time I used them, I can say that I much prefer the TYGR build and comfort. They're definitely lighter than the X2HR and have a much smaller profile when worn. I played through The Last of Us 2 using the TYGRs and it was a great experience. I did the detachable cable mod so I can use them with my BoomPro. They'll probably remain my go-to gaming headphones for a while, though I'll still use my Vokyl Erupts for non-competitive play because they're pretty fun for my tastes.

Aug 5, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #44,907 of 48,564
Just a question for the people that use stacks, what do you use for spatial surround for example just in case my terms are wrong , dolby atmos for headphones, wavesnx etc....
or can i add something like the x3 to the stack.

Sorry complete noob here

thanks

Aug 5, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #44,908 of 48,564
Just a question for the people that use stacks, what do you use for spatial surround for example just in case my terms are wrong , dolby atmos for headphones, wavesnx etc....

Sorry complete noob here

thanks
I assume your transformer/amp thingy has an RCA input, so any dac will do, and there are various dacs with virtual surround dsps, like the G6/X7, GSX1000 (though you'd have to connect fro the headphone out to the rca in on your Stax powering thing.)

Aug 5, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #44,909 of 48,564

Sorry complete noob here

thanks

I use a Sound BlasterX G6 and have really enjoyed it. I used in it direct mode (no dsp) most of the time, but I switch on the simulated 7.1 for some single-player content. Haven't used it for any movies yet though. I've used the G6 as an amp, DAC, and with a stack for surround sound processing. Personally, I wouldn't buy it *just* for that since I don't use the features much, but YMMV.

Aug 5, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #44,910 of 48,564
I assume your transformer/amp thingy has an RCA input, so any dac will do, and there are various dacs with virtual surround dsps, like the G6/X7, GSX1000 (though you'd have to connect fro the headphone out to the rca in on your Stax powering thing.)
Hey thanks i do not have any stack or anythinig yet i am just looking at the best route to go. I was debating on getting an x3 to start and then going from there, but then i was reading getting a seperate amp and dac and use dolby atmos or something similar might be the way to go

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back