Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 15, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #44,791 of 48,562
Will Penrose and Penrose X support Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, or Windows Sonic for 3D audio rendering?
Penrose X will support these formats on Xbox Series X; detailed instructions will be included in the user guide.
Penrose, for PlayStation consoles, will not support these formats as Sony is taking a radically different approach to 3D audio in the PS5 with their new Tempest audio engine.

Penrose will playback formats that are already downmixed to stereo by the device/game.
If a PC game supports Dolby Atmos (say Overwatch), then that Dolby Atmos 3D stereo downmix is piped through the DirectSound API to any device connected to Windows via BT, dongle or wired 3.5mm plug and that will play back in ANY stereo headphone (to various degrees of success), including Penrose.

Penrose itself does not know diddly-squat about Dolby, DTS, Windows Sonic, Waves NX or any other 3D virtualization tech. It just plays back signal given to it. It doesn' know how to decode or to create any of these signals. It's a plain-old stereo headphone.

If PS5 will feed downmixed virtualized HRTF stereo signal to any external headphone (and is NOT limited to Sony's own headphones via some proprietary technology), then Penrose will play this signal back, just like any other stereo headphone.

Penrose does NOT have any multi-channel input to 3D HRTF stereo virtualization CODEC built-in, like Mobius does, which has Waves NX in it's hardware/drivers. It can take multichannel source and downmix itself via Waves NX into a virtualized 3D stereo signal.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #44,792 of 48,562
I’m looking forward to seeing how these turn out:

Introducing Penrose X and Penrose
Say hello to the Audeze Penrose X and Penrose wireless planar magnetic gaming headsets. For the first time, you can experience the uncompromised audio quality Audeze is known for over a 2.4GHz lossless, low-latency wireless connection that's compatible with Xbox Series X, PlayStation 5, Windows, Macintosh, and mobile systems.

Penrose features the same award-winning 100mm planar magnetic driver technologythat revolutionized gaming audio in the Audeze Mobius, together with a newly designed broadcast quality microphone for enhanced chat and streaming. Penrose also includes onboard Bluetooth 5.0 which can be paired simultaneously with 2.4GHz wireless, so players can chat on their mobile device without interrupting their gaming experience.

By combining Audeze's legendary audio performance with the greatest in wireless and microphone technology, the Penrose X and Penrose will forever change the way you experience gaming audio.

Penrose X and Penrose are available to pre-order now at audeze.com/penrose. The first 1000 units will be available at just $249; that's $50 off the full retail price of $299!

https://www.audeze.com/products/penrose-wireless-planar-magnetic-headset

WoW, they took out the Virtual Surround Sound from the Mobius? How is it a gaming headset when they don't include Virtual Surround sound.

Jul 15, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #44,793 of 48,562
PS5 will deliver the surround sound and on PC you can use Dolby Access, DTS Headphone X, Waves NX etc etc

Jul 16, 2020 at 6:35 AM Post #44,796 of 48,562
PS5 will deliver the surround sound and on PC you can use Dolby Access, DTS Headphone X, Waves NX etc etc
The X3 supports SBX 7.1 via toslink out. SXFi is only available via the headphone out. You just need to enable the VSS mix in Speaker settings. The G6 has a Line-Out and Toslink option and supports SBX 7.1 VSS over both.

Ok just got a response back from Sound Blaster regarding the X3. They said the X3 optical output doesn't have the SBX VSS, it only encoded in dolby digital live. So you would need another DAC that can decode Dolby Digital Live such as an AVR to get the surround sound. So I can't get the surround sound if I hooked it up to a DAC such as Topping DX7 Pro or any headphone DACs.

Jul 16, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #44,797 of 48,562
Ok just got a response back from Sound Blaster regarding the X3. They said the X3 optical output doesn't have the SBX VSS, it only encoded in dolby digital live. So you would need another DAC that can decode Dolby Digital Live such as an AVR to get the surround sound. So I can't get the surround sound if I hooked it up to a DAC such as Topping DX7 Pro or any headphone DACs.

The SBX G6 does output the SBX VSS over optical to a stereo DAC, I use it that way with a Schiit Bifrost hooked up to a Jotunheim.
Why do you want the X3 in particular?

Jul 16, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #44,798 of 48,562
The SBX G6 does output the SBX VSS over optical to a stereo DAC, I use it that way with a Schiit Bifrost hooked up to a Jotunheim.
Why do you want the X3 in particular?

I just got the X3 for the Super XFi, then I realized you can't get the XFi to another DAC / Amp. I guess I might have to buy the G6. But the Xfi is way better than the SBX

Jul 16, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #44,799 of 48,562
Ok just got a response back from Sound Blaster regarding the X3. They said the X3 optical output doesn't have the SBX VSS, it only encoded in dolby digital live.
I know for a fact it does, as I have seen the Command screen postings, and comfirmed it on r/SoundBlasterOfficial. Once again a Creative rep having no clue is answering questions. If you want to use SXFi, then the X3 is going to be your DAC.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 3:22 AM Post #44,803 of 48,562
I know for a fact it does, as I have seen the Command screen postings, and comfirmed it on r/SoundBlasterOfficial. Once again a Creative rep having no clue is answering questions. If you want to use SXFi, then the X3 is going to be your DAC.

So it outputs both SBX VSS and SXFi through the optical output?

Jul 19, 2020 at 3:37 AM Post #44,804 of 48,562
The Penrose doesn't need to have a virtual surround. We're gonna be covered in the console space. The problem will be with PC, and I guess you can deal with using the meh version of Atmos to my ears, or other things like DTS Headphone X, Razer, etc. That or buy an optical to usb device and use something like the G6/X7 for SBX. I might consider this myself. Edit: Never mind, looks like USB to optical is a thing, but optical to usb isn't. Ah well.

Audeze has already told me they'll be sending me a pair for review, so I'll figure this stuff out, since I'm a pc gamer first nowadays.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #44,805 of 48,562
The Penrose doesn't need to have a virtual surround. We're gonna be covered in the console space. The problem will be with PC, and I guess you can deal with using the meh version of Atmos to my ears, or other things like DTS Headphone X, Razer, etc. That or buy an optical to usb device and use something like the G6/X7 for SBX. I might consider this myself. Edit: Never mind, looks like USB to optical is a thing, but optical to usb isn't. Ah well.

Audeze has already told me they'll be sending me a pair for review, so I'll figure this stuff out, since I'm a pc gamer first nowadays.

I know you have a lot of guides, but like what is your current setup like? for PC gaming

Users who are viewing this thread

Back