Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 13, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #44,776 of 48,562
So between the GSX 1000 / 1200 and Sound Blaster X3, which one can be hooked up to an Amp like the Monoprice THX 887 or Massdrop THX 789, or SMSL SP200? So that I can still get the surround sound from the GSX 1000 or X3 and go through the Amp
Any infos would be appreciated.

GSX1000/1200 does have an analog line out. That can be hooked up to the analog input of Massdrop THX XXX amp.

Creative X3 does NOT have an analog line out, only headphone out (for the 3D stereo effects). I don't know if the Digital OUT has the X3 3D virtualization included.

IF it has, then you need a DAC in between the X3 and your Massdrop THX headphone amp.

If it does NOT have the 3D virtualization via it's digital out, then you can't use it for it's intended purposes for 3D gaming (it's just a plain old stereo digital out in that case).

X3 owners can chime in on how the Digital OUT of X3 works in regards to the 3D Virtualization algorithms in X3.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #44,777 of 48,562
GSX1000/1200 does have an analog line out. That can be hooked up to the analog input of Massdrop THX XXX amp.

Creative X3 does NOT have an analog line out, only headphone out (for the 3D stereo effects). I don't know if the Digital OUT has the X3 3D virtualization included.

IF it has, then you need a DAC in between the X3 and your Massdrop THX headphone amp.

If it does NOT have the 3D virtualization via it's digital out, then you can't use it for it's intended purposes for 3D gaming (it's just a plain old stereo digital out in that case).

X3 owners can chime in on how the Digital OUT of X3 works in regards to the 3D Virtualization algorithms in X3.
The X3 supports SBX 7.1 via toslink out. SXFi is only available via the headphone out. You just need to enable the VSS mix in Speaker settings. The G6 has a Line-Out and Toslink option and supports SBX 7.1 VSS over both.

Jul 13, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #44,778 of 48,562
Hey all, I read that Creative is launching the SXFi Gamer headset on 7th July onwards.

Apparently there's a new SXFi audio mode that's designed for games, called 'Battle Mode'. Do you think this mode will be made available to existing devices that have the SXFi feature?

Jul 13, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #44,779 of 48,562
Hey all, I read that Creative is launching the SXFi Gamer headset on 7th July onwards.

Apparently there's a new SXFi audio mode that's designed for games, called 'Battle Mode'. Do you think this mode will be made available to existing devices that have the SXFi feature?
I still await for a SXFi over Digital-Out option :)

Jul 13, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #44,780 of 48,562
I still await for a SXFi over Digital-Out option :)
Yep. Or a dedicated line out at least.

The headphone output on the dongle can get up to about the max voltage you'd want to use on a line-in (close to 4v IIRC). Didn't wreck my Koss E90 amp but it did make me nervous. (I used very low volume anyway).

Regarding any further DSP, I feel like their current product is already pretty great and I presume decoding Atmos (speakers, not the headphone digitization) is out of the question due to licensing issues, but that would be my next dream feature for this product. Then this would truly be a little cheap Realizer-lite.

Jul 13, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #44,781 of 48,562
The X3 supports SBX 7.1 via toslink out. SXFi is only available via the headphone out. You just need to enable the VSS mix in Speaker settings. The G6 has a Line-Out and Toslink option and supports SBX 7.1 VSS over both.

I looked up the X3 on their website and it said the Optical Out has Dolby Digital Live encoded. So do I need to decode the Dolby Digital Live in order to get the surround sound?

And is the VSS Mix in the Sound Blaster Command software?

Jul 14, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #44,782 of 48,562
I looked up the X3 on their website and it said the Optical Out has Dolby Digital Live encoded. So do I need to decode the Dolby Digital Live in order to get the surround sound?

And is the VSS Mix in the Sound Blaster Command software?
The Optical Out has the option for DD Live output. It can also do 7.1 HRTF Stereo out, and yes the VSS Mix option is in Command.

Jul 15, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #44,784 of 48,562
Hi all,

Still very new to the audio landscape, thankfully the wealth of experience contained within the thread, has been beyond useful!

l'm looking for something that allows me to get immersed in my media ( elevate movies and get lost in my music and single player games). I've always liked the idea of having a home theatre setup so sound quality and VSS possibilities are important factors.

To give you a brief background i'm coming from headphones such as the Sony 1000XM3s and Vmoda Crossfades(gen 1).

I'm not entirely ready to commit to one idea or the other yet (evidenced by thoughts on the pandas) as another big consideration is longevity. Once I've settled on a decent setup chances are it won't be changed for a while; so take this post as more of a rough idea of where my heads at currently.

So I'm thinking......

Drop thx pandas coupled with Dolby Atmos for headphones (I'm curious about the planars as i've read/ heard good things and I like the idea of the pandas as an 'all in one' package but thats not strong enough reason alone to have warranted a pre-order.Waiting on final reviews)

OR

Hd 58x/6xx paired with creative's G6.(Never before experienced open backs.....but their reputation among the community has me curious. I guess having mobility issues i've always had a marmite relationship with wires haha)

Budget wise, I'd ideally like to not go above the price of the pandas........and thats without any import fees attached. Imagine that'll be a headache to calculate.

Anyway all help is greatly appreciated!

Please ignore the previous post.

Okay guys, after venturing down the 'headphone rabbit hole' further, my queries have changed.
The use case and the need for longevity(once I've settled on a setup chances are that maybe my endgame for a while) are still the same-media immersion(Movies, music and some gaming, to that end sound stage will be a big factor to consider).
Whilst I like clarity, I don't mind if the sound leans more towards the fun end of the spectrum than analytical.

These will be my first serious pair of headphones. I'm coming from the likes of Vmoda Crossfade(gen 1) and Sony 1000XM3s.

I've been looking at.....

Hifiman Sundara( Heard good things about them punching above their price bracket but all the qc problems have me hesitant)

and

Modhouse Argon MK3. Although I'm still not entirely sure the difference between the mk3 and the T60RP

Plan to pair them up to a creative soundblaster G6.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #44,785 of 48,562
I’m looking forward to seeing how these turn out:

Introducing Penrose X and Penrose
Say hello to the Audeze Penrose X and Penrose wireless planar magnetic gaming headsets. For the first time, you can experience the uncompromised audio quality Audeze is known for over a 2.4GHz lossless, low-latency wireless connection that's compatible with Xbox Series X, PlayStation 5, Windows, Macintosh, and mobile systems.

Penrose features the same award-winning 100mm planar magnetic driver technologythat revolutionized gaming audio in the Audeze Mobius, together with a newly designed broadcast quality microphone for enhanced chat and streaming. Penrose also includes onboard Bluetooth 5.0 which can be paired simultaneously with 2.4GHz wireless, so players can chat on their mobile device without interrupting their gaming experience.

By combining Audeze's legendary audio performance with the greatest in wireless and microphone technology, the Penrose X and Penrose will forever change the way you experience gaming audio.

Penrose X and Penrose are available to pre-order now at audeze.com/penrose. The first 1000 units will be available at just $249; that's $50 off the full retail price of $299!

https://www.audeze.com/products/penrose-wireless-planar-magnetic-headset

Jul 15, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #44,786 of 48,562
3D Audio over BT for the PS5 is probably a safe bet. Guessing USB too. Would be shocking if not with all that serious 3D Audio push.

Jul 15, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #44,787 of 48,562
Hmmm ...

How is Penrose different from Mobius?
Penrose is a Lossless, Low-Latency Wireless headset. While it does look like Mobius, it does not feature any of the 3D audio or head tracking technology included in Mobius. If you're looking for a true wireless gaming headset for console or PC, Penrose is the one for you!

Will Penrose and Penrose X support Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, or Windows Sonic for 3D audio rendering?
Penrose X will support these formats on Xbox Series X; detailed instructions will be included in the user guide.
Penrose, for PlayStation consoles, will not support these formats as Sony is taking a radically different approach to 3D audio in the PS5 with their new Tempest audio engine.

Jul 15, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #44,788 of 48,562
Any of you guys using audeze lcd-gx? Thoughts on them from experience?

Jul 15, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #44,790 of 48,562
3D Audio over BT for the PS5 is probably a safe bet. Guessing USB too. Would be shocking if not with all that serious 3D Audio push.
Penrose is a stereo headphone, with no built-in headphone multi-channel virtualization. IF the device using it, can push out already downmixed 3D virtualized sound, then Penrose will support it. IF not, oh well...

It's down to the PC/souncard/PS5/XboX now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back