Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 3, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #44,701 of 48,562
Just get a receiver that supports Dolby Headphone. These can be obtained cheaply and easily on eBay. E.g.:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/c/97513263

Although I think later Marantz models don't support Dolby Headphone (maybe they didn't want to pay the licensing).

This will take 7.1 LPCM and virtualise it. It will do a much better job than any of the gaming products using optical.

I used to have an NR1601 before I bought a Realiser (which uses HDMI as well but is, of course, a lot pricier...) Much better than Turtle Beach, Astro etc. The only downside is use of desk space.

Believe me, I’m well aware of the discontinued receivers with Dolby Headphone. They still count as rare in my book. I also have a Realiser (A16, in before +$4k).

Jun 3, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #44,702 of 48,562
Haha, good to meet a fellow Realiser user on the gaming thread... you may also have come to the realisation that even the most expensive sound system in the world won't make that much difference to your level of play. :wink:

I've played COD on a Realiser with a PRIR in recorded a room that would have cost about £200,000 and Stax SR-009s... and although the audio is better, it doesn't magically transform you into a much better player - you'd do better focusing on improving aim!

Jun 3, 2020 at 6:10 AM Post #44,703 of 48,562
Haha, good to meet a fellow Realiser user on the gaming thread... you may also have come to the realisation that even the most expensive sound system in the world won't make that much difference to your level of play. :wink:

I've played COD on a Realiser with a PRIR in recorded a room that would have cost about £200,000 and Stax SR-009s... and although the audio is better, it doesn't magically transform you into a much better player - you'd do better focusing on improving aim!
Honestly... aim and snap/flick control is very necessary, but I heavily rely on audio. No, I won’t win every match, but finding supplies (or magical items in other games) is so much easier with binaural surround audio, and my reflexes are so keyed into my audio. If I go back to stereo or speakers built into my screen, I will seriously get 3/4 to half the score I usually do. Audio is more useful to me than mini maps or radar.

Of course, in a role playing game, it’s just so much more immersive of an experience with great binaural audio. It “places me in the scene” more than 3D video or graphics detail.

Jun 3, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #44,704 of 48,562
I also have a Realiser
good to meet a fellow Realiser user on the gaming thread.
guys - how well does the realiser work for surround in movies? I was on the fence when it went live on KS, but now it is soooo expensive, so I am wondering if it is worth the investment (in your opinions, of course)? Again, for movies in mind (not gaming)...

Jun 3, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #44,705 of 48,562
It exactly replicates a speaker surround system which you take a recording in save that the bass won't have the same 'feel.' That's all there is to say, really. So it will be as good as the room you do the recording in. Obviously, the better the speakers/ room you record, the better the Realiser will do.

Honestly... aim and snap/flick control is very necessary, but I heavily rely on audio. No, I won’t win every match, but finding supplies (or magical items in other games) is so much easier with binaural surround audio, and my reflexes are so keyed into my audio. If I go back to stereo or speakers built into my screen, I will seriously get 3/4 to half the score I usually do. Audio is more useful to me than mini maps or radar.

Of course, in a role playing game, it’s just so much more immersive of an experience with great binaural audio. It “places me in the scene” more than 3D video or graphics detail.

If you're comparing to no surround audio at all then yes it makes a massive difference.

But if you're comparing (say) a K701 on Dolby Headphone to a really top class system (say the SR-009 used with a Realiser) then, although the latter is noticeably better, it's not going to transform your standard. The K701 on Dolby Headphone gives you a decent enough idea where the enemies are.

Jun 4, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #44,706 of 48,562
It exactly replicates a speaker surround system which you take a recording in save that the bass won't have the same 'feel.' That's all there is to say, really. So it will be as good as the room you do the recording in. Obviously, the better the speakers/ room you record, the better the Realiser will do.

If you're comparing to no surround audio at all then yes it makes a massive difference.

But if you're comparing (say) a K701 on Dolby Headphone to a really top class system (say the SR-009 used with a Realiser) then, although the latter is noticeably better, it's not going to transform your standard. The K701 on Dolby Headphone gives you a decent enough idea where the enemies are.
This latter part is true, and applies to @Zachik ’s question as well. I still use my DSS2 (on PS4) or GSX 1000 (Mac & Windows) when I don’t feel like using all the electricity of my big stack and want to keep things simple. In a practical sense, all of these are good enough for me to get a sense of direction without getting confused. However, I found the GSX 1000 processing to be more realistic to me than Dolby or SBX (it happens to suit my ears and HRTF), and the Realizer’s stated purpose is to be personalized to an individual’s HRTF and to act as a DSP to make the headphone’s tonality match a speaker setup, meaning it has the potential to make headphones sound all the more transparent and natural, plus it takes a USB or HDMI signal and sends the binaural mix out to whatever high-end DAC/amp setup you want. Whether that transparency is worth it is entirely up to personal opinion, though I will say that firsthand experience tends to bias the opinion in a certain direction 😉

Jun 4, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #44,707 of 48,562
I should add... I'm talking about Call of Duty. It may be that the Realiser gives a bigger advantage in other games.

On COD it is an advantage but not transformative compared to Dolby Headphone/ K701 - it's only one of a number of things that make a good player. I mean the pro guys are playing on Astros and they are still 1000x times better than me.

This latter part is true, and applies to @Zachik ’s question as well. I still use my DSS2 (on PS4) or GSX 1000 (Mac & Windows) when I don’t feel like using all the electricity of my big stack and want to keep things simple. In a practical sense, all of these are good enough for me to get a sense of direction without getting confused. However, I found the GSX 1000 processing to be more realistic to me than Dolby or SBX (it happens to suit my ears and HRTF), and the Realizer’s stated purpose is to be personalized to an individual’s HRTF and to act as a DSP to make the headphone’s tonality match a speaker setup, meaning it has the potential to make headphones sound all the more transparent and natural, plus it takes a USB or HDMI signal and sends the binaural mix out to whatever high-end DAC/amp setup you want. Whether that transparency is worth it is entirely up to personal opinion, though I will say that firsthand experience tends to bias the opinion in a certain direction 😉

Jun 4, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #44,708 of 48,562
Dolby Headphone vs. GSX 1000 vs. Realiser - when using it for watching a movie on living room TV, the first 2 just cannot be connected... Realiser is the only option.
Only option of getting surround without running wires to the back of the room, is getting something like the Realiser.
For the KS price of $1000 or thereabout - it is (for me) a no-brainer. But for the $4000 price tag now... likely a showstopper :frowning2:

Jun 4, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #44,709 of 48,562
Does the Realiser allow for Windows Audio to be configured for 7.1, so that games will use that? I see it can use HDMI or USB connection... and $4K pricetag... oyy

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #44,710 of 48,562
Does the Realiser allow for Windows Audio to be configured for 7.1, so that games will use that? I see it can use HDMI or USB connection... and $4K pricetag... oyy

Via HDMI the options I’ve seen and used through the Windows sound settings with my Realiser A16 are 2.0 stereo, 5.1 surround, 7.1 surround, and Dolby Atmos for Home Theater.

Jun 4, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #44,712 of 48,562
Seems to be the very thing I'd want for my system, but not at $4K. Ugh.
Same!
Maybe Drop would start selling it for $2k..... (one can hope... :wink:)

Jun 4, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #44,714 of 48,562
Especially since you can get the Win10 Dolby Access / DTS: Headphone X plugin for $11 each :D
My AV Receiver does not run Win10... Neither does my TV... :smirk:
For watching movies on my laptop - that would be an option, though.

Jun 5, 2020 at 1:20 AM Post #44,715 of 48,562
Via HDMI the options I’ve seen and used through the Windows sound settings with my Realiser A16 are 2.0 stereo, 5.1 surround, 7.1 surround, and Dolby Atmos for Home Theater.
So with the Realiser hooked up you get an Atmos for Home theater option in addition to the other speaker options? That's interesting.

Hope you get yours back soon, BTW. I cannot imagine waiting so long to get it and then waiting again to get it back for the new board!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back