Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 25, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #44,671 of 48,562
So forgive me if my production quality isn't up to the level of people who make a living off their reviews.
The problem you said you had about a Top list was all the constant questions & PMs, not a money issue. :) (And wouldn't you prefer not to be a paid reviewer, to keep your honesty..?) Sure, nobody can review everything. I just think, if you have gone through all of this work to test, analyze, post online, and do major article overhauls/updates, having a simple summary(less work than doing a review) of what's best would complete the final chapter in this unfinished book, and help you and everyone else find what they're looking for quickly. The more headphones you add to the list, the more difficult it's going to be for yourself or anyone to determine what's the best. Heck, maybe you could have someone else post the Top list in post #2, so people could immediately jump there, and that guy would get all the PMs?

I'd call it a dead list, since you said you don't plan on buying any more headphones to test. Though you did get a few new rentals in recently, looks like, so doesn't quite seem to be the case!

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #44,672 of 48,562
One can make money without being paid by the actual manufacturers... so not sure how my honesty would come into question. I'd never take payment from the actual headphone makers.

And the last... so many headphone reviews have come from headphones I didn't buy. I think last headphone I reviewed that I bought was YEARS ago. I can't even remember the last thing I bought other than headphones I had already owned and reviewed, like the D7000 and HE400. And the short summary reviews for those were many years ago. Believe it or not, I do get companies who send me things to review, with no stipulations other than posting the reviews on specific dates. For them, any attention to their products is beneficial, and I don't plan on reviewing things I don't like. So it tends to be an agreeable...agreement between me and the companies. Some times I keep what they send, some times I don't. Either way, that doesn't nudge me one way or another, as I have don't have a desire to have 25 products just sitting in storage, so more often than not, I decline and return them anyways.

And again, you're asking me to do things I have absolutely no incentive to do or fix. The guide has thrived all this time, and if I don't change a thing, it'll remain so, until the next guy makes a much better guide on here, etc. Be my guest. I don't owe you anything. So your ideas fall on deaf ears.

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #44,673 of 48,562
Hi everyone, hoping I can get an explanation on the best setup for xbox one using a modmic with a schiit stack without a mixamp..

Optical cable from Xbox ---> DAC ---> RCA cables --> amp ---> headphones

Xbox controller adapter --> Y splitter ---> modmic

Would that setup work or would there be issues associated with game/party chat?

Edit: Lot of great info in this thread.. Just realized I won't be able to control game/party chat volume with the adapter via that setup. I guess a mixamp is necessary...

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #44,674 of 48,562
And again, you're asking me to do things I have absolutely no incentive to do or fix. The guide has thrived all this time, and if I don't change a thing, it'll remain so, until the next guy makes a much better guide on here, etc. Be my guest. I don't owe you anything. So your ideas fall on deaf ears.
What if it reflected better on your part, from a company's eyes? Maybe they see this oddly formatted article, and aren't exactly impressed. If it were me, I would want to be that next guy, and make that better list, if I wanted to make money from reviews lol. If money is an issue, I think it could help! Just sayin'.

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #44,675 of 48,562
So a bit longer with the Zen-dac and 702's. I like them both and the sound. I'm hearing direction well for sounds through the 702's, though I'm still not sure I hear footsteps as well as I used to. Unsure still if it's me getting used to open back, or if it's simply that now the sounds are separated by distance. Could be the close up sounds are drowning out the footsteps a which are a bit further away.

Also obviously when I open the attic window in this heat, the cars in the distance seep into the game and i sometimes wonder if it's birds in game or out my window. :wink:

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #44,676 of 48,562
Hello all. I'm in a little pickle here as my dog chewed up my arctis pro headset and I'm wondering what would be the best headset or headphones in terms of gaming would be? I see the ath-ag1x seems to be a rebranded a900 or 900x? And those are very highly recommended in reference to gaming so would I be good in trying to aquire those for spacial awareness and footsteps (FPS)? I was looking at Sennheiser HD6?? as well like 600, 650, etc. Thanks in advance

May 26, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #44,678 of 48,562
Hello all. I'm in a little pickle here as my dog chewed up my arctis pro headset and I'm wondering what would be the best headset or headphones in terms of gaming would be? I see the ath-ag1x seems to be a rebranded a900 or 900x? And those are very highly recommended in reference to gaming so would I be good in trying to acquire those for spacial awareness and footsteps (FPS)? I was looking at Sennheiser HD6?? as well like 600, 650, etc. Thanks in advance
The Sennheiser HD600/HD650/HD6XX do not seem to get as many positive reviews, for FPS gaming, as some other headphones.
So I say go for the Audio Technicas

May 26, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #44,679 of 48,562
Hello all. I'm in a little pickle here as my dog chewed up my arctis pro headset and I'm wondering what would be the best headset or headphones in terms of gaming would be? I see the ath-ag1x seems to be a rebranded a900 or 900x? And those are very highly recommended in reference to gaming so would I be good in trying to aquire those for spacial awareness and footsteps (FPS)? I was looking at Sennheiser HD6?? as well like 600, 650, etc. Thanks in advance
You can also consider the Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R.

May 27, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #44,681 of 48,562
I dunno what you mean, it's still being sold. And by recommended, I wouldn't say that. I certainly wouldn't just force cram the AD700 down the everyone's throats. Sure if you want cheap and brutally effective at JUST competitive and nothing else. Personally, I don't like buying headphones that just do ONE thing right. I would prefer something better rounded for more things. But I guess if you only want one thing, the AD700 is as targeted and calculated as it gets.

May 27, 2020 at 2:40 AM Post #44,682 of 48,562
I dunno what you mean, it's still being sold. And by recommended, I wouldn't say that. I certainly wouldn't just force cram the AD700 down the everyone's throats. Sure if you want cheap and brutally effective at JUST competitive and nothing else. Personally, I don't like buying headphones that just do ONE thing right. I would prefer something better rounded for more things. But I guess if you only want one thing, the AD700 is as targeted and calculated as it gets.
Recommendations? I'm definitely open to suggestions

May 27, 2020 at 7:32 AM Post #44,684 of 48,562
Recommendations? I'm definitely open to suggestions
We can't just suggest headphones for the sake of suggestion. What you need them for, budget, fun, casual, competitive, open, closed, etc, etc. Too many factors.

May 27, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #44,685 of 48,562
We can't just suggest headphones for the sake of suggestion. What you need them for, budget, fun, casual, competitive, open, closed, etc, etc. Too many factors.
Well I for sure want something that does well at FPS shooters. But I am a huge audiophile as well. That's why I was looking at the Sennheiser 600 line as I do not have any audiophile level headphone, lots of IEM's but no headphones. I also just purchased a BTR5 and have been interested in the balanced 2.5mm jack as it used both DAC chips in the balanced jack. Thanks in advance my friend

Users who are viewing this thread

Back