Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 4, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #43,891 of 48,563
Don't bother with the G3 if you want it for VSS from consoles. It can't receive multichannel from current consoles as they are limited to stereo output from USB and the G3's optical input appears to be for chat audio mixing purposes only.
For VSS on PlayStation, you want something that can receive a dolby digital 5.1 bitstream via optical to mix into VSS. That would be something like the Sound Blaster G6, Astro mixamp etc. Same for Xbox unless you prefer Atmos for headphone or Windows Sonic.

For Switch, you're out of luck as far as VSS through dedicated dac/amps go. You'd need an AV receiver or TV with its own built-in VSS for headphones or a device that could transcode linear PCM received via HDMI into Dolby Digital 5.1 for output via optical to a compatible gaming dac/amp.

Thanks again for all the help
Maybe the Mobius or X3 still is the best route i get the full experience on the PC and still connects to consoles in stereo

Feb 4, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #43,892 of 48,563
So Creative have a pair of "Super X-Fi Planars" on the way with an SXFI AMP seemingly built into the headphone wire.

SXFI planar.jpg

SXFI planar dongle.jpg

Additionally, their rumoured HDMI SXFI 'set-top' receiver appears geared towards wireless use via the SXFI Theater cans. Assuming the pics below are indicative of the final prototype, hopefully the side that they have propped the unit up on features a headphone jack for wired headphones of the user's choice because the other three sides visible in the pics have no such port.

SXFI Box 1.jpg

SXFI BOX 2.jpg

SXFI Box 3.jpg

Source article:

https://www.eteknix.com/creative-unleash-new-super-x-fi-hardware-for-2020/

Thanks again for all the help
Maybe the Mobius or X3 still is the best route i get the full experience on the PC and still connects to consoles in stereo
If you want to go the dac/amp-only route then the G6 or X7 would give your Beyers full SBX for all platforms other than Switch.

If you want SXFI too while still getting SBX for Playstation and Xbox then the best value combo would be a G6 plus the SXFI Amp. That would be considerably cheaper than the Mobius, over $100 if you shop around.

Attachments

• SXFI BOX 2.jpg
    SXFI BOX 2.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 0
  • SXFI Box 3.jpg
    SXFI Box 3.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 4, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #43,893 of 48,563
If you want to go the dac/amp-only route then the G6 or X7 would give your Beyers full SBX for all platforms other than Switch.

If you want SXFI too while still getting SBX for Playstation and Xbox then the best value combo would be a G6 plus the SXFI Amp. That would be considerably cheaper than the Mobius, over $100 if you shop around.

Do you recommed the amp over the x3? Is there a big difference?
Also you just posted those Planers look interesting lol
the theaters look good but not available in canada

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #43,894 of 48,563
Do you recommed the amp over the x3? Is there a big difference?
Also you just posted those Planers look interesting lol
Yeah. See my previous comments for further elaboration. You can use the UI search function to search for specific key words in posts by specific users on specific threads. Just search "X3", specifying this thread and my user name
x3.png

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #43,896 of 48,563
thank you i will go through the search
Ignore the post where I recommended X3 for SXFI back when I first got it. I have just edited it now in case anyone else comes across it.

At the time of that original posting, I had only cursorily tested SXFI on it, assuming that it would generally be as good as SXFI on the SXFI AMP which I already owned and had plenty of experience with.

Having since tested it more, the X3 has problems with SXFI which correspond to the subject of a number of complaints from other users on reddit and the net.

If you want a SXFI dac/amp, stick with the SXFI Amp for now.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #43,897 of 48,563
@SierraMadre

Which device/technology do you like best for VSS, SBX (with the G6), SXFI (with the SXFI Amp) or Sennheiser (with the GSX1000)?

I have the GSX and ordered the SXFI amp and G6 to try and compare them all but your opinion would be greatly appreciated seen your experience you have with the matter.

I am the kind of user that will keep the sound as original as possible, the only thing I want to apply is VSS to 7.1, 5.1 or stereo sound from games and have a nice spatial sound and soundstage.
I won't be using EQ, scout modes, presets etc. I also don't use a mic.
I don't matter if the devices has these features like the G6, that device has optical VSS sound out which is a great plus if I want to connect it to a Modi/Magni stack.
My GSX1000 for example is either used in stereo with Dolby Atmos for Headphones or in 7.1 with one "+" for the reverb (bigger soundsatge) and all the rest off.

Feb 5, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #43,898 of 48,563
@SierraMadre

Which device/technology do you like best for VSS, SBX (with the G6), SXFI (with the SXFI Amp) or Sennheiser (with the GSX1000)?

I have the GSX and ordered the SXFI amp and G6 to try and compare them all but your opinion would be greatly appreciated seen your experience you have with the matter.

I am the kind of user that will keep the sound as original as possible, the only thing I want to apply is VSS to 7.1, 5.1 or stereo sound from games and have a nice spatial sound and soundstage.
I won't be using EQ, scout modes, presets etc. I also don't use a mic.
I don't matter if the devices has these features like the G6, that device has optical VSS sound out which is a great plus if I want to connect it to a Modi/Magni stack.
My GSX1000 for example is either used in stereo with Dolby Atmos for Headphones or in 7.1 with one "+" for the reverb (bigger soundsatge) and all the rest off.
I would Like to know the answer to that as well, lol! TBH, I don’t have enough experience of GSX to give an informed opinion.
MLE would be the guy to ask for GSX vs SXFI and SBX opinions.

What little I tried of the GSX1000 impressed me but the relatively high price combined with the weak amp and limitation to Windows 10 native VSS protocol limiting bit depth and sample rate to 16 bit 44khz put me off. . . But I have heard such good things since then that I will probably get one anyway as soon as I see it on sale at a reasonable discount.

My best VSS experiences thus far are Waves NX w/head tracking, SXFI via the AMP and Boom 3D. I don’t like too much colour on the sound either and it was only the recent SXFI Gen 2 update that tamed the reverb a bit that made SXFI palatable to me.

The problem with SXFI remains however that there is no way to adjust the reverb. Hopefully they will address this in the future Gen 3 update to the algorithm but for now how much reverb you get will be decided by your headphones, the SXFI headphone model compensation profile you choose And your own personal HRTF with no way to influence it directly.

Waves NX stand-alone has at least a few presets for this while the Mobius has a full 0-100 room effect slider. SBX on the G6 also has an intensity slider.

Feb 5, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #43,899 of 48,563
Yep, too much choice indeed, hard to pick one and stay with it. But thanks for the Boom 3D tip, I will try that one out as well.
For now I have only been comparing Atmos for Headphones and Sennheiser and I like them both depending on the source material.
For PS4, as I don't have many games on it, just some PS exclusives and almost all of them come with Sony's own VSS I use the Platinum headset.
The G6 and SXFI amp should come in this week so I'll have some testing to do this weekend. :)

Feb 5, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #43,900 of 48,563
Yep, too much choice indeed, hard to pick one and stay with it. But thanks for the Boom 3D tip, I will try that one out as well.
For now I have only been comparing Atmos for Headphones and Sennheiser and I like them both depending on the source material.
For PS4, as I don't have many games on it, just some PS exclusives and almost all of them come with Sony's own VSS I use the Platinum headset.
The G6 and SXFI amp should come in this week so I'll have some testing to do this weekend. :)
Yeah, I like the Platinum headset too.

Feb 5, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #43,901 of 48,563

I just started playing with Boom3D and liking it more then WavesNX maybe because i have no way to use it with the head tracker and my desktop inboard sound card is pretty crappy but it doesnt support 5.1 / 7.1. Plus for me the presets seems to have a lot of reverb with my dt 990's.

I was thinking of getting the sxfi amp which was mentioned but for some reason i cannot get it on creative website, amazon or newegg here in canada same goes for the sxfi theater and i hear the headphones haven't gotten the sxfi gen2 yet.

I really want the Mobius but i am having a hard time to justify the price since i game on PC and Console and while i was thinking of getting the Platinum headset is it worth it now that PS5 will be coming out.

The G6 would probably be the best for me, but again i am probably over thinking it but i have a hard time paying 250CDN for something 2+ years old and my opinion sxfi would probably be the future.

Feb 5, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #43,904 of 48,563
Not the $99 one that’s the pro audio mixing software suite, central hub app.

The $9.99 one is the basic entertainment iteration that offers Waves NX VSS and supports head tracking via the official wireless Bluetooth clip-on headtracker which costs about 100 bucks or webcam. Requires a multichannel capable audio device to piggy back onto though for full surround config VSS.

Feb 5, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #43,905 of 48,563
I wonder what the difference is, from what I can find they look like the same apps.

Edit, sorry, didn't see your post yet @SierraMadre .

Ok, I'll try the $9.99 one with the camera first, I can always order a head tracker if I like it.

Not the $99 one that’s the pro audio mixing software suite, central hub app.

The $9.99 one is the basic entertainment iteration that offers Waves NX VSS and supports head tracking via the official wireless Bluetooth clip-on headtracker which costs about 100 bucks or webcam. Requires a multichannel capable audio device to piggy back onto though for full surround config VSS.

So you need to use it with a GSX1000, G6 or SXFI for example,, a 2 channel DAC won't work?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back