Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 5, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #43,921 of 48,562
Additionally, their rumoured HDMI SXFI 'set-top' receiver appears geared towards wireless use via the SXFI Theater cans. Assuming the pics below are indicative of the final prototype, hopefully the side that they have propped the unit up on features a headphone jack for wired headphones of the user's choice because the other three sides visible in the pics have no such port.

Source article:

https://www.eteknix.com/creative-unleash-new-super-x-fi-hardware-for-2020/

As far as I understand it, you can only plug either an SXFI Amp or an SXFI TX transmitter into the USB ports; I don't believe an analog connection will be available. The reason for this is that the SXFI TV box itself won't do any SXFI processing. Rather, it just acts as a pass-through to grab multi-channel audio from an HDMI source and convert it for output over USB. Granted, this is just what I've gleaned from reading past CES articles on the subject. It'd be great if I'm wrong and the box ends up doing SXFI processing too.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #43,922 of 48,562
I wonder since I seem to like software solutions like Dolby Atmos for Headphones a lot that I could do with just adding Waves NX and not use hardware like the G6.
I could then enable the soundcard on my MB (Pretty decent, based on SB, the MB is an Aorus Z390 Extreme), apply either DAH or Waves NX and send digital optical out to a Modi/Magni stack.

On my Realtek ALC898, the "Configure" button is greyed out" for optical. The line out you can configure with all options, but I think optical is a no-go via MB. HW is needed to piggy back 7.1 to 2-channel VSS optical?? Unless I'm missing something with 2-channel stereo VSS SM via optical? Edit: NVM.
2 channel dac would only offer virtualisation of 2.0 stereo speakers.

spdif.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #43,923 of 48,562
I wonder since I seem to like software solutions like Dolby Atmos for Headphones a lot that I could do with just adding Waves NX and not use hardware like the G6.
I could then enable the soundcard on my MB (Pretty decent, based on SB, the MB is an Aorus Z390 Extreme), apply either DAH or Waves NX and send digital optical out to a Modi/Magni stack.
You could forgo G6 for DAH, yes, you could even just set your Modi as the default audio device via USB or optical and bypass your sound card altogether as windows *supposedly* does not require a device to be multichannel PCM capable for DAH.

On my Realtek ALC898, the "Configure" button is greyed out". The line out you can configure with all options, but I think optical is a no-go via MB. HW is needed to set to 7.1 output (piggyback). Unless I'm missing something with 2-channel stereo VSS SM via optical?

spdif.jpg

For Waves though, I’m not sure if optical would be the best option or if it would even work properly. The multichannel device you specify as source for Waves is used to create a Waves virtual device which acts as the Windows default audio device for output. If you set the onboard’s optical device (windows recognises the various outputs of the internal soundcard as separate devices), beyond stereo PCM, it would be limited to 5.1 Dolby digital or DTS. As PC games are PCM, I’m not sure how the compatibility in codec would interface with Waves NX which assumes a multichannel PCM source. Windows needs to be able to use the sound card to extract/ process multichannel PCM from the game’s audio. The multichannel capability of optical out on sound cards AFAIK tends to be confined to Dolby or DTS encoding or transcoding rather than decoding.

In short, I’m not sure whether Waves would be able to recognise the optical component of your onboard chipset as multichannel capable (as opposed to the other output components of the onboard audio), or properly process it if it is recognised. Even if it could, you would be limited to applying Waves to 5.1.

I don‘t think you could set the 7.1 capable component of the onboard audio as source for Waves and then just grab the output from optical like you could with the G6. Waves uses the source to create the windows default audio device which also determines the output for the processed audio. For 7.1 it would need to be the onboard chipset’s headphone out that’s routed to the front of the PC (assuming it can be configured to multichannel, some can, others can’t even if the the chipset has discrete 7.1 analogue outs) or the green front channel jack on the i/o rack of the mobo.

It would be doable on something external like the G6 because the G6 can decide itself how the audio it receives is then outputted. Once it receives the audio from the PC, what it does with it is no longer windows or Waves’ concern and you need only switch from the G6’s headphone jack to rear line-out to change where it goes.

As far as I understand it, you can only plug either an SXFI Amp or an SXFI TX transmitter into the USB ports; I don't believe an analog connection will be available. The reason for this is that the SXFI TV box itself won't do any SXFI processing. Rather, it just acts as a pass-through to grab multi-channel audio from an HDMI source and convert it for output over USB. Granted, this is just what I've gleaned from reading past CES articles on the subject. I'd be great if I'm wrong and the box ends up doing SXFI processing too.
Ah, that makes sense so you’re probably right, thanks. In that case, at least AMP compatibility would give us the option to use our own cans. It would be very disappointing if they shun compatibility with the AMP in favour of the SXFI Theater and Air headphones only

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #43,924 of 48,562
That’s what I was trying to say. Optical is limited to a max channel count of DD5.1, DTS 5.1 and PCM 2.0.

I don’t think there’s any point to your plan of PC > optical > G6 > optical > Chord For Hesuvi.
That would require a third audio device to be the origin of the initial PC > optical connection. That could be a multichannel onboard sound chip or a stereo one but that would be needlessly adding a third device (and in the case of a stereo onboard chip, you’d need a fourth device with multichannel capability for piggybacking or else you would have to use the not recommended VB cable method).

It would be PC > usb > G6 and simultaneously PC > usb > Chord for the Hesuvi audio KS repeater method that spoofs the multichannel capability of the G6 onto the Chord. The PC would be taking the audio from the G6, processing it with Hesuvi and then sending it out to the Chord as default/endpoint device for output.

. . . But on consideration, that would just be needlessly convoluted and a hassle to setup.
Better just to apply Hesuvi to G6 via USB and set it as Windows default audio device. No need to bother with spoofing/ piggy backing / repeating onto the Chord. The Chord would receive the processed audio from the G6 via optical and would not need to be registered or active as an audio device in Windows at all. In fact, it would not even need to be connected to the PC.

Apologies. Video is just a twinkle in the eye right now and I did not orientate myself on all the modern surround tech so all the acronyms went virtually and figuratively over my head.

Thanks for streamlining this process. I don't have any extended 3.5mm optical cables on hand so my initial plan would of been as you mentioned even more convoluted. The USB route looks straightforward as we are using a Audioquest Cinnamon USB into the Fulla2. I just replace the Fulla2 with the G6 and don't need to worry about routing multiple optical cables all over the place. Another + is I don't have to install the Win10 Chord driver. I just have to set the Soundblaster SW to output to optical. The Chord is just optional in the chain and I'm not sure if that is the long-term plan. Setting it up this way it's easy to plug in and out a Chord DAC.

Since we got in on the G6 @120 and it's constantly out of stock, it makes sense just to keep this device. It's back up to @150 now. Hoping to test DD on the video side. That would be icing to justify keeping the G6.

Time to catch up on /r/SoundBlasterOfficial...

Feb 5, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #43,925 of 48,562
Apologies. Video is just a twinkle in the eye right now and I did not orientate myself on all the modern surround tech so all the acronyms went virtually and figuratively over my head.

Thanks for streamlining this process. I don't have any extended 3.5mm optical cables on hand so my initial plan would of been as you mentioned even more convoluted. The USB route looks straightforward as we are using a Audioquest Cinnamon USB into the Fulla2. I just replace the Fulla2 with the G6 and don't need to worry about routing multiple optical cables all over the place. Another + is I don't have to install the Win10 Chord driver. I just have to set the Soundblaster SW to output to optical. The Chord is just optional in the chain and I'm not sure if that is the long-term plan. Setting it up this way it's easy to plug in and out a Chord DAC.

Since we got in on the G6 @120 and it's constantly out of stock, it makes sense just to keep this device. It's back up to @150 now. Hoping to test DD on the video side. That would be icing to justify keeping the G6.

Time to catch up on /r/SoundBlasterOfficial...
If all you’re doing is pass through, you don’t even need to set anything in the sound blaster connect software to output onward to your Chord via optical. The G6 just does it automatically based on available output connection. It defaults to headphones if you have headphones plugged in. It then changes to the line-out which doubles as optical-out if you disconnect the cans from the headphone jack while you have 3.5 or optical cable connected to the rear line-out.

The only thing the software is required for in this context is setting SBX features on/off, intensity etc. and stuff like setting the sub crossover or pushing SBX VSS out of the line-out (there’s a tick box for that).
The hardware appears to be able to save two profiles onboard, one for headphone out and the other for rear line-out, you just connect to PC and software and set each profile by making your changes in their respective modes and it saves them automatically.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #43,927 of 48,562
Ok, so the onboard Realtek probably won't allow surround applied to its 7.1 analog be routed to the digital output.
(it has an option called "Virtual Surround encodes surround audio for transfer as stereo output to receiver", not sure what it does).
https://www.gigabyte.com/mb/aorus/audio

The SBXG6 gets detected as 7.1, lets me apply WavesNX to it and then reroutes that audio to SPDIF.
Would a SB AE-5 or AE-9 allow that as well? I see it uses the same software as the G6, not sure if that option is in it.
But those don't have physical 7.1 outputs so it would only let me apply WavesNX to 5.1? The Realtek does have 7.1 outputs.
Or is the G6 still a better option than an internal SB for use with WavesNX?

And where does Hesuvi come in? Can it be used together with WavesNX?
I see it needs Equalizer APO but I think it just needs it to apply it's settings, no need to do anything in Equalizer APO myself?

On another note, has anyone tried "Out of Your Head Gamer Version"?
That one is $25 and I think it's comparable to WavesNX.
I'm not sure if it also requires a 7.1 capable device to creat 7.1 VSS or can do that with a stereo DAC.

Man, too bad I need to wait to try out all this stuff 'till Sunday! :)

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #43,928 of 48,562
Ah, that makes sense so you’re probably right, thanks. In that case, at least AMP compatibility would give us the option to use our own cans. It would be very disappointing if they shun compatibility with the AMP in favour of the SXFI Theater and Air headphones only

No problem. Yeah, it would be such a letdown if they decided to block usage of the SXFI Amp. Interesting that you mention the Air, though. I wonder how that would work with it? The Air allows for wired USB connection to a PC for multichannel sound, so I suspect you'd hook it up to the SXFI TV box the same way. In order to use Air wirelessly, though, I'm guessing you'd need your own USB bluetooth transmitter. Obviously then you're limited to 2 channel audio, but I suppose if you are preferring the convenience of wireless over full surround sound in that instance, it'd be better than nothing.

Feb 6, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #43,929 of 48,562
Ok, so the onboard Realtek probably won't allow surround applied to its 7.1 analog be routed to the digital output.
(it has an option called "Virtual Surround encodes surround audio for transfer as stereo output to receiver", not sure what it does).

That virtual surround setting is meant to be used with a dolby pro logic II decoder. Don't worry about it.

Feb 6, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #43,930 of 48,562
No problem. Yeah, it would be such a letdown if they decided to block usage of the SXFI Amp. Interesting that you mention the Air, though. I wonder how that would work with it? The Air allows for wired USB connection to a PC for multichannel sound, so I suspect you'd hook it up to the SXFI TV box the same way. In order to use Air wirelessly, though, I'm guessing you'd need your own USB bluetooth transmitter. Obviously then you're limited to 2 channel audio, but I suppose if you are preferring the convenience of wireless over full surround sound in that instance, it'd be better than nothing.
Yeah I assumed that they might make it compatible via wired USB. Not of any personal relevance as I just have the AMP and the rather troubled X3.

The SBXG6 gets detected as 7.1, lets me apply WavesNX to it and then reroutes that audio to SPDIF.
Would a SB AE-5 or AE-9 allow that as well? I see it uses the same software as the G6, not sure if that option is in it.
But those don't have physical 7.1 outputs so it would only let me apply WavesNX to 5.1? The Realtek does have 7.1 outputs.
Or is the G6 still a better option than an internal SB for use with WavesNX?

And where does Hesuvi come in? Can it be used together with WavesNX?
I see it needs Equalizer APO but I think it just needs it to apply it's settings, no need to do anything in Equalizer APO myself?

On another note, has anyone tried "Out of Your Head Gamer Version"?
That one is $25 and I think it's comparable to WavesNX.
I'm not sure if it also requires a 7.1 capable device to creat 7.1 VSS or can do that with a stereo DAC.

Man, too bad I need to wait to try out all this stuff 'till Sunday! :)
No point in using Waves NX with Hesuvi, that would be double binauralising.
Hesuvi has a bootleg Waves profile though. I don’t think it’s as good as the real thing and besides it lacks head tracking.

You might get some benefit out of Equaliser APO headphone auto-EQ for Waves though, just as you might with any VSS that doesn’t already incorporate headphone-specific compensation.

SB AE5/9, no. It would likely face the same problem I already mentioned about setting default windows audio device and lack of 7.1 config.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #43,931 of 48,562
No point in using Waves NX with Hesuvi, that would be double binauralising.
Hesuvi has a bootleg Waves profile though. I don’t think it’s as good as the real thing and besides it lacks head tracking.
You might get some benefit out of Equaliser APO headphone auto-EQ for Waves though, just as you might with any VSS that doesn’t already incorporate headphone-specific compensation.
SB AE5/9, no. It would likely face the same problem I already mentioned about setting default windows audio device and lack of 7.1 config.

Thanks, the G6 will definately be a keeper then even if it only were for the opticcal out, sure there might be more I will like.
Yep, head tracking. I remember you made some posts about that, just searched for them, will read them a nit later.
I'll do a search about your posts for WavesNX and Hesuvi as well as well as a genaral search in this thread for OOYH but I think that's only 2 channel.
In any case I'll have some nice reading material tonight. This thread is a goldmine of info! :)

Feb 6, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #43,932 of 48,562

Can you guys kindly test your favorite headphone for immersive single player gaming on this short youtube clip? I need to know which headphone has more Rumble & Texture to the bass when I shoot the cannon and more Weight to the air when I do melee strike (whoosh whoosh effect). I have 4 open-back cans for competitive gaming, not fun and bass-anemic, and one closed-back Steelseries Arctis 7 which gives me the rumble and heavy, meaty whoosh whoosh when i do melee strikes, but it sucks in all other sound departments. I am craving a closed-back or semi-closed headphone for immersive gaming whose sound has RUMBLE, Texture, Resolution, & Relatively Expansive Soundstage strictly for single-player games. No Muddiness, clear separation when the scene gets congested with action.

Here's my shortlist so far, if you have any 2 of them, please do test the youtube video above for me and tell me which one ticks the boxes for you. If you believe any of those don't tick the boxes please help me eliminate them from my list.

- Argon MK3
- Fostex TH-900
- Audioquest Nighthawk
- Sony Z1R
- Sony Z7
- DT177X Go
- Your Favorite (No Mobius lol!)

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 10:37 PM Post #43,933 of 48,562
Wait what is this thread?

Can you guys kindly test your favorite headphone for immersive single player gaming on this short youtube clip? I need to know which headphone has more Rumble & Texture to the bass when I shoot the cannon and more Weight to the air when I do melee strike (whoosh whoosh effect). I have 4 open-back cans for competitive gaming, not fun and bass-anemic, and one closed-back Steelseries Arctis 7 which gives me the rumble and heavy, meaty whoosh whoosh when i do melee strikes, but it sucks in all other sound departments. I am craving a closed-back or semi-closed headphone for immersive gaming whose sound has RUMBLE, Texture, Resolution, & Relatively Expansive Soundstage strictly for single-player games. No Muddiness, clear separation when the scene gets congested with action.

Here's my shortlist so far, if you have any 2 of them, please do test the youtube video above for me and tell me which one ticks the boxes for you. If you believe any of those don't tick the boxes please help me eliminate them from my list.

- Argon MK3
- Fostex TH-900
- Audioquest Nighthawk
- Sony Z1R
- Sony Z7
- DT177X Go
- Your Favorite (No Mobius lol!)

Thank you very much!

Argons are great but mine is a bit different being a MK2 with MK3 baffles and currently running suedes.

I have the Z7M2 but since I upgraded the pads it's almost endgame level. I haven't gamed on it yet but even with music it's very immersive. The pads basically made the top end smoother and added soundstage in comparison to being a THX00 on steroids.

Feb 7, 2020 at 1:19 AM Post #43,934 of 48,562
Gonna have to talk to Creative about that SXFI planar headphone.

I wonder if they have an OEM, or if it's their own design.

Either way, DIS GON B GUD

Feb 7, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #43,935 of 48,562
Little question about the SXFI amp.

I have an iPhone.
I tried to connect directly with a USB-C to Lightning cable but that doesn't work.
I see it should work with Lightning to USB Camera Adapter from Apple which I'll have by tonight.
I also see I will be able to make a profile from my ears and head in the App so that's no problem either.

But:
- Will I be able to upload the profile to the amp from the iPhone with the camera adapter?
- Will I be able to do a firmware update?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back