Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 6, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #42,091 of 48,578
I have the Philips SHP9500s for competitive (not pro) gaming. Would the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250 ohm cans be an upgrade when used with VSS and looking for good positional audio for footsteps and gunshots? Will likely be using with the Sound BlasterX G6.

How about the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus?

Thanks guys.

I'm gonna plant the seed of doubt here.

Having myself both the GSX 1000 and the G6, I really feel the GSX (without reverb) gets more pinpoint positional accuracy compared to the G6. The G6, although cleaner sounding and more powerful, might feel confusing at times, not coherent compared to the GSX, when talking about positional cues.

Just my 2 cents. If you can, get both and keep the one you like the most. It's a toss up in most scenarios, but competitively I'd give the slight edge to the GSX.

I've kept both, but in the end, I just use the G6 as a line out to my selfpowered desktop speakers. I really like how clean it sounds with them. Headphone surround is all about the GSX.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #42,093 of 48,578
Having gone back to the GSX1000 today, there really is nothing I'd rather use for VSS. In terms of streaight 7.1 VSS, GSX is the best. I use one '+' on the device for the surround size.

Now, I'll have to hear how Atmos sounds with its Atmos based sources, but other than that, I don't really think it can get better than GSX. Sennheiser got it right.

Mar 6, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #42,094 of 48,578
Having gone back to the GSX1000 today, there really is nothing I'd rather use for VSS. In terms of streaight 7.1 VSS, GSX is the best. I use one '+' on the device for the surround size.

Now, I'll have to hear how Atmos sounds with its Atmos based sources, but other than that, I don't really think it can get better than GSX. Sennheiser got it right.
How would the HeSuVi GSX profile compare with the hardware GSX 1000?

Mar 6, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #42,095 of 48,578
have you compared hardware gsx vs gsx processing off with hesuvi gsx profile?
or hardware gsx vs g6 hesuvi gsx profile?

Now you lost me there haha.

I've only compared stock settings on both, hardware vs hardware VSS.

I will research on those things you mention, but if you have a link, I gladly compare them with the settings you say.

Mar 6, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #42,096 of 48,578
Now you lost me there haha.

I've only compared stock settings on both, hardware vs hardware VSS.

I will research on those things you mention, but if you have a link, I gladly compare them with the settings you say.

i mean if you compared:
1. gsx hardware with its hardware vss enabled against gsx hardware with its hardware vss DISABLED but with hesuvi gsx profile enabled
2. gsx hardware with its hardware vss enabled against g6 with its hardware vss DISABLED but with hesuvi gsx profile enabled

Mar 6, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #42,097 of 48,578
How would the HeSuVi GSX profile compare with the hardware GSX 1000?

Last time I used HeSuVi, the GSX profile wasn't done correctly. There was apparently some issue or other that it didn't sound as intended. But even back then I felt GSX was very strong. Now, I dunno if it's been fixed, but the real deal is perfect to me. There is literally nothing more that can be done in terms of taking a 7.1 signal and turning that into virtual surround. It's as good as it gets. All we can improve on now is height cues.

Mar 6, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #42,098 of 48,578
Last time I used HeSuVi, the GSX profile wasn't done correctly. There was apparently some issue or other that it didn't sound as intended. But even back then I felt GSX was very strong. Now, I dunno if it's been fixed, but the real deal is perfect to me. There is literally nothing more that can be done in terms of taking a 7.1 signal and turning that into virtual surround. It's as good as it gets. All we can improve on now is height cues.
Ok thanks. My only concern with the GSX 1000 is the mic input quality due to heavy processing. Is the mic input quality really as bad as some reviews state?

Mar 6, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #42,102 of 48,578
I have the Philips SHP9500s for competitive (not pro) gaming. Would the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250 ohm cans be an upgrade when used with VSS and looking for good positional audio for footsteps and gunshots? Will likely be using with the Sound BlasterX G6.

How about the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus?

Thanks guys.
No. I still felt like the shps were better for competitive games

Mar 6, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #42,103 of 48,578
Probably a stupid question or maybe not but after having used Windows for 15 years, than Mac for 15 years I recently added a Windows PC to my setup again and could use some advice.

My mainboard is an Aorus Z390 Xtreme which should have a decent onboard soundcard I think (Realtek ALC1220-VB 9018K2M Sabre Dac, Burr Brown op-amps, 7.1channel).
My question isn't about the SQ of that card, rather a feature it has or doesn't have.

Being a 7,1channel card (for speakers), can it put out virtual surround to headphones?
I don't think so which is why I use a Sennheiser GSX 1000.
Are there any internal PCI soundcards that do feed virtual surround to headphones?

Mar 6, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #42,104 of 48,578
Probably a stupid question or maybe not but after having used Windows for 15 years, than Mac for 15 years I recently added a Windows PC to my setup again and could use some advice.
My mainboard is an Aorus Z390 Xtreme which should have a decent onboard sound card I think (Realtek ALC1220-VB 9018K2M Sabre Dac, Burr Brown op-amps, 7.1channel).
My question isn't about the SQ of that card, rather a feature it has or doesn't have.
Being a 7,1channel card (for speakers), can it put out virtual surround to headphones?
I don't think so which is why I use a Sennheiser GSX 1000.
Are there any internal PCI sound cards that do feed virtual surround to headphones?

The words "virtual sound sound", I think is a fancy word for faked headphone surround sound.
I think you mean headphone surround sound (like CMSS3D or SBX or Dolby Headphone, etc), which can take a 6-channel or 8-channel audio source and convert it into 2-channels of headphone surround sound.
For $30, you can get Creative's X-Fi MB3 (SBX Headphone surround sound), that works with your Realtek ALC1220 audio processor.
http://software.store.creative.com/p/software/sound-blaster-x-fi-mb3

Mar 6, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #42,105 of 48,578
The words "virtual sound sound", I think is a fancy word for faked headphone surround sound.
I think you mean headphone surround sound (like CMSS3D or SBX or Dolby Headphone, etc), which can take a 6-channel or 8-channel audio source and convert it into 2-channels of headphone surround sound.
For $30, you can get Creative's X-Fi MB3 (SBX Headphone surround sound), that works with your Realtek ALC1220 audio processor.
http://software.store.creative.com/p/software/sound-blaster-x-fi-mb3

That's exactly what it is, downmixing multichannel into 2-channel for headphones and faking the multichannel perception.
Like DTS Virtual:X does for speaker systems with no height channels, faking the height channels and quite well at that I must say. Sadly Dolby forbids it.

Thanks for the link. I see that software does for basic soundcards what their related supplied software does for their own more advanced soundcards.
My MB-soundcard seems to be a basic one with upgraded DAC and amp section then.

So Sound-Blaster X-Fi MB3 is like Dolby Headphone, Dolby Atmos for headphone, Windows Sonic for headphones, ... as I understand it.
And where does DTS Headphone:X come in then? Is that a similar application or is it more like a codec that the source material needs to be encoded with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back