Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 1, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #42,061 of 48,562
Does anyone have a link to the G6 beta firmware? I know it's a closed beta, but Ryan was seemingly messaging it out to anyone on Reddit, so I personally can't see the harm in sharing it through private messages here. Just means not having to wait for Ryan to check his DM's, but understood if no one wishes to share. Just thought I'd check to see if I could have a play around with it over the weekend.
Latest BETA driver:
https://creative.box.com/s/5ots8s4q5bg8pwcm8eirw2r8zd9l1qfp

Firmware update:
https://creative.box.com/s/oh6etm6jcv0l0fu9v3w6w7kjsljte0nf

Reference:
https://www.reddit.com/r/SoundBlasterOfficial/comments/aw8ih1/update_to_g6_beta_software/

Mar 1, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #42,062 of 48,562
They sound great with the G6, but two things annoy me with using them for gaming:
-Comfort wise I've always had a bit of love/hate relationship with the HD800S. They're light weight and don't clamp down on your head like a vice, but something has always seemed 'off' with how they fit my head. It feels I can never get them to sit just right. I'll periodically get annoyed, adjust them all over the place on my head, and basically make no improvement.
-Having to switch DAC inputs back and forth is a pain, as is having to power on an amp just to play a game. Yes, I'm that lazy. Would be nice to just toss on a pair of headphones, switch output devices in Windows, and go.

Maybe I'll just snag a pair of K7xx since I know they're comfortable (yes, I know some people would strongly disagree with that statement, maybe I just have a weird head)...

I will suggest Massdrop Sennheiser HD58x.

Mar 3, 2019 at 4:22 AM Post #42,063 of 48,562
Hi
Does anyone listening music on creative G6 ?

I trying to buy 1 device for my goals.
Now I have DAC+amp = CENTRANCE Dacport HD
And headphones = meze 99 classics.

And I want to know how good/bad creative g6 in terms of sound quality of playing music. Not games, I talking about music.

Thanks!!

Mar 3, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #42,064 of 48,562
Hi

And I want to know how good/bad creative g6 in terms of sound quality of playing music. Not games, I talking about music.

Thanks!!

In my experience, the G6 has good resolution, ok instrument separation, but the sound signature is a bit fatiguing and cold to my ears. I'd say it is more on the analytical, not so musical side.

Mar 3, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #42,065 of 48,562
Hi

Thanks!!
They’re pretty good for music. Clear and transparent.

Mar 3, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #42,066 of 48,562
I will suggest Massdrop Sennheiser HD58x.

That's exactly what I ended up ordering. Wanted to try something new, it was the cheapest option, and it had stellar reviews. They weren't supposed to arrive until Monday, but I received a pleasant surprise from Fedex yesterday afternoon!

Comfort wise, they're super light weight and a bit more 'normal' sized than my mega bulky HD800S. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, the HD800S aren't UNcomfortable, but they've always felt a bit strange to me, and it's hard to forget you have them on your head. The smaller lighter HD58x I can toss on and almost forget I'm wearing them in comparison.

The 'clamp force' is a bit high, but it doesn't feel like they're trying to crush your skull like a watermelon as some people would lead you to believe. I don't mind the pressure at all. It's not as noticeable as my HE-560s, which border on a bit too tight IMO. These cans fit snug enough to where they won't fall off my head if I lean back in my chair, or shift around if I move my head too quickly.

The build quality feels stout enough where they can hold up to some 'careless' or 'abusive' (depending on how you view it) usage. More importantly, the price was low enough to where I'm not always self conscious about wearing them and I won't have a mini-heart attack if I accidentally snag the cable or anything. I already managed to have the cable wrapped around the arm of my chair, causing the headphones to get yanked and flip off my desk when I got up to go grab a drink last night. It was certainly nice to go "oh, whoops" and carry on without much concern.

My only reason for buying these was gaming w/ the SBX G6, but I couldn't help but plug them into the SE output of my Ragnarok and play a few tracks to see how they sounded (disclaimer: I'm woefully under qualified to describe sound). I've never had any gripes with the treble on the HD800S, but my first thought was that HD800S sound was rather fatiguing compared to what I was hearing from these. Bass is more pronounced, but not excessive or boomy by any means. Overall detail is obviously lacking in comparison, but at less than 1/10th the price, that's no surprise. Overall they're fun to listen to, and I could toss them on and relax for hours listening to music on these. For the price, they're VERY impressive IMO.

After a brief listening session, they migrated to the headphone output of my SBX G6. Even using the "low" gain setting, 30% volume is enough to get these more than loud enough. I got a solid 6+ hours of Assassin's Creed Odyssey in last night and the HD58x were a pleasure. Zero comfort issues over this play session, and the sound was certainly nothing to shake a stick at. Sound stage did feel somewhat narrow compared to the HD800S, but again, that was expected. I left the G6 surround setting on "wide", so perhaps I'll give "ultra wide" a shot today. Ultra wide on the HD800S was more like "TOO wide", and the resulting sound just seemed abnormal. Maybe with the smaller sound stage of the HD58x it will work better.

Overall a solid purchase and I'm quite satisfied with them. I do still want to try a K7xx or K712 though. Oh and those Focal Elex on Massdrop look nice too :weary: Maybe I should go back to gaming before I go broke...

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 1:59 AM Post #42,067 of 48,562
So is paying for Dolby Atmos a scam or something? Because I've paid $15 for the license on my PC, followed the steps (I'm not stupid), and enabled it for the device I'm using (and I've tested several). Hopped into games that I KNOW work with every single other virtual surround dsp under the sun I've tested, and Dolby Atmos/Windows Sonic don't do a DAMN thing. May as well be stereo because I don't hear a difference.

Thing is, when I used HeSuVi back then, the Dolby Atmos and Sonic presets definitely worked. I don't use that anymore, and I'm starting to wonder how the real thing doesn't freaking work.

This is incredibly frustrating. $15 I don't have the luxury of just tossing away that is basically rendered worthless atm.

34rsxlf.jpg

As you can see, it is enabled. So what gives?

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 2:56 AM Post #42,068 of 48,562
So is paying for Dolby Atmos a scam or something? Because I've paid $15 for the license on my PC, followed the steps (I'm not stupid), and enabled it for the device I'm using (and I've tested several). Hopped into games that I KNOW work with every single other virtual surround dsp under the sun I've tested, and Dolby Atmos/Windows Sonic don't do a DAMN thing. May as well be stereo because I don't hear a difference.

Thing is, when I used HeSuVi back then, the Dolby Atmos and Sonic presets definitely worked. I don't use that anymore, and I'm starting to wonder how the real thing doesn't freaking work.

This is incredibly frustrating. $15 I don't have the luxury of just tossing away that is basically rendered worthless atm.

34rsxlf.jpg

As you can see, it is enabled. So what gives?

What's your output device? When I messed around with the 30 day trial, it straight up would not work with my output set directly to my DAC (Schiit gen 3 USB). But if I set my output to my SBX G6, then line-out from the G6 to my DAC, it worked great. Couldn't figure out what the deal was for the life of me.

Mar 4, 2019 at 3:22 AM Post #42,069 of 48,562
I tried the G6, my PortaPro wireless through Bluetooth directly, and the GSX1000. None of them do a damn thing.

This is why I prefer external devices. As soon as anything involves windows and a bunch of drivers, it all goes to absolute hell. Jank garbage.

Now I'm trying the Audeze Mobius which is like 4 headphones in one when it comes to how Windows reads it. Hi Res, BT, 8ch, 2ch (all with 3D off). Either Atmos is unselectable, or it does nothing. When Sonic is selectable, it does nothing.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #42,070 of 48,562
I tried the G6, my PortaPro wireless through Bluetooth directly, and the GSX1000. None of them do a damn thing.

This is why I prefer external devices. As soon as anything involves windows and a bunch of drivers, it all goes to absolute hell. Jank garbage.

Now I'm trying the Audeze Mobius which is like 4 headphones in one when it comes to how Windows reads it. Hi Res, BT, 8ch, 2ch (all with 3D off). Either Atmos is unselectable, or it does nothing. When Sonic is selectable, it does nothing.

Stupid question, but have you made sure ”Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device” and ”Give exclusive application priority” are ticked in your sound card? I know... I know... But I've managed to uncheck those and then wonder why my software wasn't working.

I haven't purchased Dolby Atmos, but I will do it later and test it out as well.

Mar 4, 2019 at 3:54 AM Post #42,071 of 48,562
Yes, all of that is checked.

Even went to my PC's headphone jack to see if it has any sort of priority in these kinds of things. Nothing. Same nothing as with all other devices.

It sure would be nice to try Windows Sonic and Dolby Atmos at one point. But nope. Maybe for someone like me with a billion sound devices in the registry, it just borked the possibility for Windows to get this crap to work. I'd have to likely reformat, and I ain't about to wipe off everything and reinstall it all. I don't have the patience for that.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 5:24 AM Post #42,072 of 48,562
I activated Dolby Atmos for Headphones on my EVGA Nu Audio card. A billion different sound devices shouldn't hinder it from working, unless plugged in at the same time. :)

If I try it with some random Youtube vid or song on Spotify I don't hear a difference.

Pretty sure it only outputs Dolby Atmos if the sound source has that "logic" (I don't know what else to call it) built in... The GSX and SBX solutions change the characteristics of sound when activated, as it emulates 5.1/7.1 on all outputs. With Dolby Atmos activated the it seems to keep outputting stereo (I don't get a 5.1 speaker setup option in Windows) unless the source material has the Atmos "logic" built in. I tried it with Guardians of the Galaxy 2 on Netflix and I can hear a noticeable difference with Atmos on or off.

With that said, the GSX1000 is still the best Virtual Surround experience I've had. Too bad the DAC/AMP in that thing sounds a bit cheap. I would easily pay twice the asking price (and get rid of all other soundcards/DACs) if it had a better DAC/AMP, lower noise floor, a higher quality mic input and external power.

Mar 4, 2019 at 5:36 AM Post #42,073 of 48,562
I activated Dolby Atmos for Headphones on my EVGA Nu Audio card. A billion different sound devices shouldn't hinder it from working, unless plugged in at the same time. :)

If I try it with some random Youtube vid or song on Spotify I don't hear a difference.

Pretty sure it only outputs Dolby Atmos if the sound source has that "logic" (I don't know what else to call it) built in... The GSX and SBX solutions change the characteristics of sound when activated, as it emulates 5.1/7.1 on all outputs. With Dolby Atmos activated the it seems to keep outputting stereo (I don't get a 5.1 speaker setup option in Windows) unless the source material has the Atmos "logic" built in. I tried it with Guardians of the Galaxy 2 on Netflix and I can hear a noticeable difference with Atmos on or off.

With that said, the GSX1000 is still the best Virtual Surround experience I've had. Too bad the DAC/AMP in that thing sounds a bit cheap. I would easily pay twice the asking price (and get rid of all other soundcards/DACs) if it had a better DAC/AMP, lower noise floor, a higher quality mic input and external power.
So essentially, it only works for sources that have Atmos capabilities? I was under the impression that it (as well as Windows Snic), worked like every other surround DSP. In that they process sound into their respective outputs. Under HeSuVi, both worked with whatever game I threw at it. If it only works for SOME things, that is a huge waste of time, effort, and money, and I don't find that the likely scenario.

I tried the Atmos 'demos' in the app itself, and there was no changes from it on vs stereo. So again, something must be up.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 5:48 AM Post #42,074 of 48,562
Doesn't the Demo just Demo what Atmos does and pushes that sound to your 2.0 output? I mean - it's all just 2.0 in the end...

The difference with games, for instance, is that if it has 5.1 or 7.1 support but no HRTF for Headphones or similar logic it doesn't know how to accurately translate that sound into Stereo in real time.

Honestly, I'm crap at things like this - I just approach it logically. No idea why HeSuVi changes the sound characteristics, UNLESS it changes your Windows Speaker setup to 5.1/7.1 . I'm pretty sure the Dolby Solution doesn't because $$$ (push "Dolby Atmos enabled content" as a feature).

Mar 4, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #42,075 of 48,562
I posted about it a few weeks ago in this very thread with screenshots. Dolby Atmos has been updated. Works flawlessly for both games and movies of all Kind. Bonus is Atmos games and movies of course, everything else is virtual 7.1. Youtube and music or non multichannel is passthrough. On mobile right now unfortunately. Make sure dropdown selection in sound panel of the corresponding device shows Atmos for Headphones, else reset app.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back