Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 8, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #42,121 of 48,562
Great to know. If you are not using the hardwware GSX and using the profile in HeSuVi instead, are you outputting directly to your headphones from your on-board soundcard? Or do you have an external solution? Are you using VB Cable or Voicemeeter to visualize 7.1 to work with HeSuVi/Equalizer APO?

I bought a simple repair jack plug and put that in my onboard soundcard to fake an output connection. This way, the onboard (Realtek HD Audio) shows up as a usable sound device that can be set as default device and 7.1 surround. Then it's HeSuVi => Realtek HD onboard => Stereo Mix => external USB DAC => amp.

I played around with VB Cable, Voicemeter and a few other solutions, but I either couldn't get them to work properly or they had some drawbacks such as being another piece of software cluttering my system or some issue with volume control.

Mar 8, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #42,122 of 48,562
I bought a simple repair jack plug and put that in my onboard soundcard to fake an output connection. This way, the onboard (Realtek HD Audio) shows up as a usable sound device that can be set as default device and 7.1 surround. Then it's HeSuVi => Realtek HD onboard => Stereo Mix => external USB DAC => amp.

I played around with VB Cable, Voicemeter and a few other solutions, but I either couldn't get them to work properly or they had some drawbacks such as being another piece of software cluttering my system or some issue with volume control.
Very interesting. Do you have a link to this repair plug? I have no idea what that is. I too wanted to avoid another piece of software like VB Cable which requires additional computer resources and may introduce latency.

Thanks!

Mar 8, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #42,123 of 48,562
i think he means just the 3.5mm plug (no wires or anything), like the one you could take from broken headphones.
just for the soundcard to detect that something is plugged in there.

edit: and this is quite ingenious :)

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #42,124 of 48,562
Very interesting. Do you have a link to this repair plug? I have no idea what that is. I too wanted to avoid another piece of software like VB Cable which requires additional computer resources and may introduce latency.

Thanks!

Just a simple jack plug like these. They come as single, too. You could also insert a jack extension cable, works the same way. Mind you that using Stereo Mix is basically the same as using VC Cable, etc. Stereo Mix just comes bundled with the audio driver, so it's installed anyway. But it will introduce latency. I don't measure latency, so I've no clue how much. But it can't be that bad or I'm not susceptible to it, for I don't hear any delay.

i think he means just the 3.5mm plug (no wires or anything), like the one you could take from broken headphones.
just for the soundcard to detect that something is plugged in there.

edit: and this is quite ingenious :)

Yep, that's the one. And thanks :)

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #42,126 of 48,562
i mean if you compared:
1. gsx hardware with its hardware vss enabled against gsx hardware with its hardware vss DISABLED but with hesuvi gsx profile enabled
2. gsx hardware with its hardware vss enabled against g6 with its hardware vss DISABLED but with hesuvi gsx profile enabled

Ok so I gave it a go and these are my impresions:

1. GSX Hard is superior to Hesuvi by a small margin, mostly, when the soundstage gets crowded with explosions and sounds coming from many places, it fails to render spatial awareness properly.

2. GSX Hard is still superior to the G6 with Hesuvi. BUT, G6 with Hesuvi is superior to G6 Hardware, although the sound signature is boring and lifeless, thin, lacking spatial depth, but the angle at which the sound is coming from is very accurate equal to the GSX hard, and maybe it provides height information much more accurrate than either GSX and G6 hardware enabled.

Overall, GSX Hardware provides the most natural sounding signature and 360º positional awareness. It only loses on clarity and some height rendering to G6 Hesuvi. I didn't like GSX Hesuvi at all,

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #42,127 of 48,562
maybe it provides height information much more accurrate than either GSX and G6 hardware enabled

since this is all based on 7.1 channels (vs 3d sound location) there is no height data and therefore this is just a coincidence with the specific material.
only games that provide 3d sound data to vss can accurately do that, example:
another current example would be overwatch.

I didn't like GSX Hesuvi at all,

you sure you disabled hardware vss on gsx when doing hesuvi tests?

thanks!

Mar 9, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #42,128 of 48,562
since this is all based on 7.1 channels (vs 3d sound location) there is no height data and therefore this is just a coincidence with the specific material.
only games that provide 3d sound data to vss can accurately do that, example:
another current example would be overwatch.

you sure you disabled hardware vss on gsx when doing hesuvi tests?

thanks!

Likely a dumb question but: in games like CSGO with the HRTF audio option, or BFV, RE2, or others with the binaural audio output for headphones options, should I disable SBX virtual surround and set my SBX G6 to stereo mode?

Mar 9, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #42,130 of 48,562
Likely a dumb question but: in games like CSGO with the HRTF audio option, or BFV, RE2, or others with the binaural audio output for headphones options, should I disable SBX virtual surround and set my SBX G6 to stereo mode?

There was discussion of this a few pages earlier. You have to turn off surround in sound> acoustic engine, but you can leave 7.1 headphones on in setup>headphones

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #42,132 of 48,562
Hello just curious would you recommend the sxfi amp for gaming?
If you have one of the headphones on their list of headphones in the app, and if you game on the PC, yes I highly recommend it.

Be aware that you need an Android device to perform the calibration and that some people are having issues with Windows doing weird stuff to the USB audio drivers when it updates the firmware, making it sound way worse than it should. I have not had this problem but check the thread here at head-fi.

But assuming you can get it calibrated and have a headphone match (which is a must) its virtual surround accuracy is really great and probably the best I have tried yet.

Mar 11, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #42,133 of 48,562
Switched my HD800S' back to Stereo recently

DAC: SB X7 LE with Sparkos full upgrade
Amp: Schiit Jotunheim

Huge difference going back to stero honestly and really brings out the wow of the HD800S. No SBX or Dolby enabled. In fact I'm using pass through via my optical out on my TV instead now so I can easily use all my smart features. TV can pass through anything really but ultimately stereo beings back a ton of bass and precise directionality out of the HD800S.

To me personally I feel like SBX and down mixing Dolby makes the HD800S sound cheap and costs a lot of detail in the process.

Mar 11, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #42,134 of 48,562
If you have one of the headphones on their list of headphones in the app, and if you game on the PC, yes I highly recommend it.

Be aware that you need an Android device to perform the calibration and that some people are having issues with Windows doing weird stuff to the USB audio drivers when it updates the firmware, making it sound way worse than it should. I have not had this problem but check the thread here at head-fi.

But assuming you can get it calibrated and have a headphone match (which is a must) its virtual surround accuracy is really great and probably the best I have tried yet.
Hey thanks i will double check i got a dt 990 i am sure i saw that in the list, and i game mostly on pc\ps4 lately more ps4. Would you recommend the amp more then the headset

thanks

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #42,135 of 48,562
Switched my HD800S' back to Stereo recently

DAC: SB X7 LE with Sparkos full upgrade
Amp: Schiit Jotunheim

Huge difference going back to stero honestly and really brings out the wow of the HD800S. No SBX or Dolby enabled. In fact I'm using pass through via my optical out on my TV instead now so I can easily use all my smart features. TV can pass through anything really but ultimately stereo beings back a ton of bass and precise directionality out of the HD800S.

To me personally I feel like SBX and down mixing Dolby makes the HD800S sound cheap and costs a lot of detail in the process.

Well, using just regular stereo, you only have 2 directions, left and right. You then have to use your other senses to fill in the blanks. With sbx surround on a surround sound input, you can have front and back as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back