Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 22, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #35,071 of 48,583
Do you really need closed? The 7100 is battered by the D7000 which you can't get for humane prices as of now, same with the D5000. Get the Massdrop Purple Heart pseudo-closed if you can manage to. Forget about the AH-D7100. 

I really need one closed and one open, closed when this my wife and my dauhhters are awake and open for when everyone is asleep to hear if my daughters wake.

Did you indicated that what would be best option? I have to reach a second-hand d5000 and d7100.
¿Tx-00 would be the best option?

Apr 23, 2016 at 1:54 AM Post #35,075 of 48,583
I'm constantly getting clipping and pops with the Out Of Your Head software during heavy action. Sigh. Both on my Creative soundcard, and on the Xonar U3.

Apr 23, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #35,076 of 48,583
I'm constantly getting clipping and pops with the Out Of Your Head software during heavy action. Sigh. Both on my Creative soundcard, and on the Xonar U3.

I ran into the exact same problem! Did it start sort of subtly and grow gradually more and more intense for you over maybe a minute or two? I was worried it might be a hardware problem at first, but hardware tested fine otherwise. Must be something with OOYH. Maybe darinf has a fix???

Apr 23, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #35,077 of 48,583
What is the best gaming headphone for around 60 euros? It needs to have big, deep, spacious earcups that easily fit around smaller ears and great soundstage/detail retrieving/imaging and neutral bass.

I don't care if it's open or closed.

Apr 23, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #35,078 of 48,583
I ran into the exact same problem! Did it start sort of subtly and grow gradually more and more intense for you over maybe a minute or two? I was worried it might be a hardware problem at first, but hardware tested fine otherwise. Must be something with OOYH. Maybe darinf has a fix???

Yes, exactly. It's fine at first, but the longer you use it, the worst it gets.I honestly thought it blew out my drivers.

The software doesn't alot of dynamic sounds going off at once. It sounds overworked.

Apr 24, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #35,081 of 48,583
You get the Out Of Your Head software to work with Creative soundcard like the X7?

No. The only way I can do that is using the Xonar U3 to send PCM optical out to the X7. And I don't think I was getting the DSP to work this way, just stereo. I'll have to re-test later. Unfortunately, the games I have aren't well suited for testing. Even Red faction: Armageddon doesn't have a consistent sound that I can test well.

It'd be SO much easier with console games. Ah well.

Apr 24, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #35,082 of 48,583
I can confirm that OOYH does work with the Xonar U3 sending a PCM signal to the X7's spdif input, and it retains OOYH virtual surround (make sure DH is turned off on the U3, for obvious reasons).

Also, even thought I thought it possible, DH doesn't work on the U3 with OOYH in bypass mode. I'm sure that is because the OOYH software outputs 2 channels to whatever your output device is, so neither my internal soundcard capable of THX TS, or the U3 with DH won't work while OOYH is the primary device. This makes it impossible to compare OOYH quickly with any virtual surround, as you'll have to quit out the game, and change primary sound device. Not an issue specific to OOYH, this would occur regardless.

It's easy to compare DH with SBX because the U3 can easily toggle what it's sending to the X7 (Toggling Dolby Digital or PCM spdif output on the U3 software, followed by turning SBX off when the U3 is in PCM (with DH turned on), and turning SBX on when the X7 is being fed Dolby D), so testing is relatively painless, and you don't have to back out of a game.

Also, the OOYH's presets have much more in common with DH than THX Tru Studio or SBX, so those who prefer the latter two may not really care for OOYH's presets outside of the generic gaming one, which I feel is lacking in surround cues. OOYH has some really good presets like Acoustic Zen which do surround well, and sounds DH-like.

So if you're used to stuff like the Mixamp, OOYH is very viable for PC use.

I was told by Darin Fong that if you get distortion or whatnot (like what I was getting earlier), lower the volume/gain on the sound devices. I lowered the OOYH to 80, Xonar to 80, AND each preset's volume to -4.63 (for testing), leaving the X7 as the volume control itself. Haven't tested much, but I haven't heard craziness yet.

Apr 24, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #35,083 of 48,583
I can confirm that OOYH does work with the Xonar U3 sending a PCM signal to the X7's spdif input, and it retains OOYH virtual surround (make sure DH is turned off on the U3, for obvious reasons).

Also, even thought I thought it possible, DH doesn't work on the U3 with OOYH in bypass mode. I'm sure that is because the OOYH software outputs 2 channels to whatever your output device is, so neither my internal soundcard capable of THX TS, or the U3 with DH won't work while OOYH is the primary device. This makes it impossible to compare OOYH quickly with any virtual surround, as you'll have to quit out the game, and change primary sound device. Not an issue specific to OOYH, this would occur regardless.

It's easy to compare DH with SBX because the U3 can easily toggle what it's sending to the X7 (Toggling Dolby Digital or PCM spdif output on the U3 software, followed by turning SBX off when the U3 is in PCM (with DH turned on), and turning SBX on when the X7 is being fed Dolby D), so testing is relatively painless, and you don't have to back out of a game.

Also, the OOYH's presets have much more in common with DH than THX Tru Studio or SBX, so those who prefer the latter two may not really care for OOYH's presets outside of the generic gaming one, which I feel is lacking in surround cues. OOYH has some really good presets like Acoustic Zen which do surround well, and sounds DH-like.

So if you're used to stuff like the Mixamp, OOYH is very viable for PC use.

I was told by Darin Fong that if you get distortion or whatnot (like what I was getting earlier), lower the volume/gain on the sound devices. I lowered the OOYH to 80, Xonar to 80, AND each preset's volume to -4.63 (for testing), leaving the X7 as the volume control itself. Haven't tested much, but I haven't heard craziness yet.

Yea the OOYH software didn't work directly with my Creative G5 either, so that to confirm it doesn't work directly with any of the Creative soundcards / dac / amp.
But it does work indirectly by going through another device such as your Xonar U3, in my case, I just use the JRiver virtual audio to route the sound to OOYH.

Apr 25, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #35,084 of 48,583
So it looks like you guys are experimenting with using virtual surround soundcards for gaming. Well I'd say you guys have your work cut out for you. I've been using virtual soundcards for years but almost never game.

But who knows, you guys might have more luck than me?

The following is all free and probably worth about as much as it costs, but here goes:

1. Install VB Cable. Configure the virtual sound device that appears for 8 channel input and output (7.1 channel surround).

2. Install VSTHost.

3. Install ASIO4ALL.

4. Install ConvolverVST. Note these instructions on the ConvolverVST website and configure your computer accordingly:
2. convolverVST requires libsndfile and libfftw DLLs to run. For many host applications, these must be in the execution path. To add the them to the execution path, right click on My Computer in Windows Explorer, select Properties, the Advanced tab, and the Environment Variables button and append ;C:\Program Files\Convolver\Convolver (or the path to which you installed Convolver in the first step) to either the User or System Path variable using the corresponding Edit button:

wpnrq9t6.gif

5. Copy this config text file to anywhere you can remember, and this config sound file to C: (yes, the root directory).

6. Run VSTHost and click Devices->Wave... and set Output port to ASIO4ALL. Also set the sample rate here to 44100 (important!) and the Buffer to 512 samples.

7. Click the ASIO4ALL config icon that appears in the notifications tray of the taskbar

8. In the config panel that appears click the spanner button to show advanced options.

9. Light up the buttons for each VB audio cable INPUT you have but not the OUTPUT. Light up the button for the output device you want to plug your earphones into. Set the ASIO buffer size here also to 512 samples.
E.g.

10. In the VSTHost window, press Ctrl+N to load a new VST plugin. Look for ConvolverVST.dll where you installed it and double-click it to load it as a plugin. In the plugin icon that appears, click the circled button to open its config panel:

11. In the configuration dialog that pops up, drag the "Partitions" slider all the way to the right for "16 partitions" (decreases audio delay), then click the circled button.

Then in the loading dialog that appears, change the file type to Config File

and choose and select the config text file I provided in (5).

12. The plugin will now prompt you to reload it. Click the cross button on the plugin icon

And press Ctrl+N to load it again.

This should be the result

Now, any surround signal that gets sent to VB cable (you may set it as the default sound device) will be turned into a virtual surround signal for headphones via the convolution impulses I designed.

Good luck getting it to all work without a glitch though :rolleyes: If you do actually try any of the above you're welcome to post your questions here.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 25, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #35,085 of 48,583
That's... complicated. Wonder how it sounds though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back