Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 21, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #35,056 of 48,583
Wait, I never said not to talk about that product. I simply meant that the last few pages sounded like an ad.

This is a thread to talk about such products, after all.

The only one I'd be willing to test out is the AD700 looking one, as I'm tired of testing closed headphones.

I hate 3D wings, but for the sake of the rest of you guys, I'm not against having impressions on the headphone.

Apr 21, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #35,057 of 48,583
The sketchy marketing in the past few pages in this thread is making me never want to trust Taction Kannon.

Lol. It's not marketing dude. They gave me a product to test at AXPONA and asked me to post my impressions about it relative to gaming. Is it the perfect "be-all, end-all" headphone? No. Not at all. But, I like it for gaming. Quite a bit actually, as you have read. 

I don't want to come across the wrong way, so if it makes you feel better, I can post some of the negative impressions as well, but they don't have much to do with gaming.

So with that, here are some negatives:

1. I don't particularly care for the vocal presentation on the Kannon. My bar is mostly set by the HiFiMan planars, and it doesn't really come close to those. They work much better with non-vocal EDM. The vocals are fine for gaming, but I'd choose a different headphone for music with a lot of singing. Really, if I buy a pair (and I probably will), I will use them about 90-95% for gaming only.

2. The frequency response lacks a little bit of sparkle up top. This is fine for gaming, as it makes it non-fatiguing, but I like my headphones a little crispier, generally speaking. I usually don't notice too much because, on the other end of the spectrum, the bass is making up for it on the engagement front.

3. This one is on gaming, though I already mentioned it: if your friends have a lot of low frequency noise on their mics, the headphone will vibrate when you are in chat with them. It will still react to the game, but you will get a little layer of constant vibration below that. Same can happen with really bassy music in the game, you will get vibration from both the music and the gameplay. It's not the worst thing in the world, but it can be a little annoying. Again, I did mention this already. I doubt there is any way to isolate it without adding a second complex DSP into the headphone. IMO, not a dealbreaker for me, but it might be for some.

4. It's not a detail monster, but it's okay in this regard. I find the Fidelio X1/X2 to be marginally more detailed for a headphone at the preorder price point of $299. That being said, it's not dull either. If it had a touch more sparkle up top, it would likely feel more detail forward. Inner resolution is just okay, but you can pretty much say that about everything else that's under $500 at some level as well. If you want ambient micro plankton and dead-perfect timbre, you should look elsewhere.

5. I'm with @Mad Lust Envy on the wings. Hate them. Every once in a while they will pull out a hair (Always on the right side! Ouch!) Other than that, they are fairly comfortable.

6. There are couple build quality issues with the prototype, but it is just that, a prototype. The mic jack came loose and vibrates and part of one of the logos came unglued. This is all feedback I would generally give directly to the manufacturer, since this isn't the final build of the headphone and they have plenty of time to correct it.

If I think of anything else, I will let you know before I have to ship the headphone back.

I'm not the first person to like this headphone. Go read what Chris Martins said about it in HiFi+. Go ask MoeDawg140 about it. Jude even took time to call it out in the CanJam impressions thread. And I told the Taction guys the same thing I am going to tell you now: I'm not sure I would use this headphone much for music (I have the HD800, T1, HE-6, HE500, HE400, a couple of Stax Lambdas and a Westone W60 for that), but the Kannon has SICK potential for gaming.

Does that all make sense? In the future, all you have to do is say, "Hey Hansotek, that all sounds great, but what about some negative impressions, too." and I will gladly oblige. I'm not trying to hide anything here. I already pointed out the one negative that pertained to gaming in another post.

My #1 priority on Head-fi is helping people find gear they like. I have no vested interest in Taction beyond the fact that I like their product. Plain and simple.

Apr 21, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #35,058 of 48,583
Wait, I never said not to talk about that product. I simply meant that the last few pages sounded like an ad.

This is a thread to talk about such products, after all.

The only one I'd be willing to test out is the AD700 looking one, as I'm tired of testing closed headphones.

I hate 3D wings, but for the sake of the rest of you guys, I'm not against having impressions on the headphone.

If you want to test it out, I'm sure they would love to send it to you. They told me they wanted your feedback specifically on it, but hadn't had any luck getting in touch with you. 

Sorry if it seems like I'm over-hyping the product. I am enjoying it immensely. Hopefully, my last post added some balance. I'm a little off this week because I've got some frustrating stuff going on in my personal life outside of Head-fi. Not fun.

Apr 21, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #35,059 of 48,583
I'll pm him soon, so they can get with me on that.

Apr 21, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #35,060 of 48,583
It all does sound like advertising. Anyone who reads the last few pages, it sounds like the Taction Kannon headset thread complete with bullet points.

I asked you a lot of the same questions when you post about a new headphone. And you've been excited about new headphones before (like... Two years back).

To someone not you or me that didn't know Hansotek has been around for years and talks about many different headphones/amps/etc, to a stranger it could seem that talking up a headphone could be for the intent of selling something. But we know not all reviews/impressions are about slamming a product... There's another forum/website full of cynical people for that. My best memories of this thread are from the days you (MLE) talked about how you were enjoying the Denon D7000, Q701, HE400, Annies, Slyr1, Monster DNA Pro, Phillips X2, etc... When nobody is sharing their excitement about their audio, the thread is mired in repeat questions and PC problems.

Here, for two days, Hansotek has been sharing impressions on something fresh that almost nobody has heard, it's new, and apparently fun to use and listen to. I'm curious. And I know YOU get that, which is why I'm replying to you. I'm probably going to sound like a Sennheiser evangelist when the HD800 arrives this weekend (at least, I hope everything's ok and I'm that impressed!).

I listen to music, but I always come back to games. It's the primary filter that I end up judging how much I like headphones. I hope that once I finally have something new to talk about (almost two years with the K612 now, 6 with AKG), other people visiting this thread are encouraged to share how cool their headphones are while gaming! Build THAT kind of community back up, exploring personal entertainment. That would be cool, and way more fun to keep visiting.

Apr 21, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #35,061 of 48,583
What headphones does everyone use for there handhelds like the vita or 3ds?
I typically use my 558s and they sound pretty decent actually.

Tbh, my phone is pretty much my portable gamer :D I work in a loud place with people talking all day, so I like IEMs to kinda shut them up and let me zone in on my entertainment during my breaks :wink:

I've always wanted to try the HD558, but keep stopping myself because it would be a side or downgrade from what I have, and just delay an upgrade. Now I've finally bought my second Sennheiser since my PX-100 in freshman college! Maybe I'll pick up some HD558/598 next spring for the curiousity of it.

I would use my PX100 if I had new pads (the RadioShack replacements sucked), I do use some Koss KSC-75's, some FiiO EX-1's I won in a sweepstakes, RHA S500i that are always in my jacket pocket, and when I want to feel like I'm getting away with some awesome luxury I bring my CIEMs by CustomArt.

I wish I could use my V-Moda M-100 more, because they're fast to put on and take off and sound pretty great on-the-go, but my pads are too stiff and shallow for me to wear longer than 30 minutes. Some people don't have a problem with the pads, but for me they get tough like gum that's been chewed for 30 minutes :sweat_smile:. Maybe I would use them more with the XL Pads, those felt immediately and surprisingly more comfortable at RMAF, and I wore them for several minutes with no problems.

Apr 21, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #35,062 of 48,583
Tbh, my phone is pretty much my portable gamer :D I work in a loud place with people talking all day, so I like IEMs to kinda shut them up and let me zone in on my entertainment during my breaks :wink:

I've always wanted to try the HD558, but keep stopping myself because it would be a side or downgrade from what I have, and just delay an upgrade. Now I've finally bought my second Sennheiser since my PX-100 in freshman college! Maybe I'll pick up some HD558/598 next spring for the curiousity of it.

I would use my PX100 if I had new pads (the RadioShack replacements sucked), I do use some Koss KSC-75's, some FiiO EX-1's I won in a sweepstakes, RHA S500i that are always in my jacket pocket, and when I want to feel like I'm getting away with some awesome luxury I bring my CIEMs by CustomArt.

I wish I could use my V-Moda M-100 more, because they're fast to put on and take off and sound pretty great on-the-go, but my pads are too stiff and shallow for me to wear longer than 30 minutes. Some people don't have a problem with the pads, but for me they get tough like gum that's been chewed for 30 minutes :sweat_smile:. Maybe I would use them more with the XL Pads, those felt immediately and surprisingly more comfortable at RMAF, and I wore them for several minutes with no problems.
I really can't compare how the 558s are compared to what you have but on Amazon they go for $100 new these days so your not down much in investing.
Think I'll get the shure SRH840 with velour pads for my handhelds since it's it's kinda annoying using open headphones in public and I don't have anything closed back.

Apr 22, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #35,063 of 48,583
558 are below 100 Dollars in Germany right now and for that price they are really damn good. 

Apr 22, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #35,064 of 48,583
I really can't compare how the 558s are compared to what you have but on Amazon they go for $100 new these days so your not down much in investing.
Think I'll get the shure SRH840 with velour pads for my handhelds since it's it's kinda annoying using open headphones in public and I don't have anything closed back.

Oh, I wasn't comparing to the HD558 either! Just listed what I have, lol!
I probably would recommend IEMs on the go, they're kinda perfect for that, but if you wanted a closed headphone for using on-the-go I would recommend researching the Beyerdynamic T50p.

Apr 22, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #35,066 of 48,583
Oh wow I really scored, going to be looking through my brother in laws house in a bit since he said he got a $300 amp or DAC for free and he didn't like it. (knowing him he probably used beats)
Ask him if he's willing to give it to me and said if I find it sure. :)

Apr 22, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #35,068 of 48,583
I should try the KSC 35 or 75,seems like a great solution for portable use and there pretty cheap.

Just don't forget to bend the clips the way I posted on their review. It makes a drastic difference.

Apr 22, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #35,070 of 48,583
  hello, do you think would be the denon d7100 a good choice for gaming and see movies? currently I have a V-MODA Crossfade Wireles and I would like to have something better

Do you really need closed? The 7100 is battered by the D7000 which you can't get for humane prices as of now, same with the D5000. Get the Massdrop Purple Heart pseudo-closed if you can manage to. Forget about the AH-D7100. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back