Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 7, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #34,081 of 48,583
I just now realized after all this time that I didn't add the Fostex TH-600 review I did on headphone.guru to the guide.

Whoops.

http://headphone.guru/fostex-th-600-luxury-in-stealth/

I'll make sure to add that one once I add something else.

Though that's the last one to have the old ratings.

Feb 7, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #34,082 of 48,583
  Three Questions:

1) I currently own a Philips X2 and was considering switching to the Hifman HE-400s and wanted to know anyone's opinion on them for gaming? I mostly want to switch because I like the design of the 400s better and they weigh less (the X2 is kinda heavy for me for long sessions).

2) I have a Sound Blaster Z that I use in PC to drive my headphones. Is there a better sound card or dac/amp combo under $100? 

3) I was going to get a Mixamp for console (PS4) use. Is the Mixamp still the best price/performance dac/amp for consoles? I know the SB X7 is better but that's way too much for me.

Anyone?

Feb 7, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #34,083 of 48,583
I just now realized after all this time that I didn't add the Fostex TH-600 review I did on headphone.guru to the guide.

Whoops.

http://headphone.guru/fostex-th-600-luxury-in-stealth/

I'll make sure to add that one once I add something else.

Though that's the last one to have the old ratings.

Enjoyable read. I wonder what your assessment of the X00 would be in relation to the 600 and 900 (and even the D7000). Evidence and my assumptions indicate that they all sound very similar but your nuanced comparison in particular would be interesting to me. That said, I'm a very satisfied and fortunate X00 owner. I'll be frequenting that website more.
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 7, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #34,084 of 48,583
Unfortunately, it'd be hard to compare the X00 to the other two, as I had both the TH600 and TH900 on hand to directly compare. The X00 would be alone and I didn't own the 600-900 long enough to feel comfortable comparing them based off memory.

I can't believe that review was up on guru last September, and I somehow didn't thgink to add it here.

:rolleyes:

I'm up to the Midrange section of my Creative JAM review, so I'm hoping to finish at least the rough draft of the full review tomorrow and work on it from there. Tuesday and onward will be busy times working on something, so I need to get this done.

I'm a bit rusty too, so hopefully it all doesn't look like crap in the end.

Feb 7, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #34,085 of 48,583
Wow, great guide. Many thanks Mad Lust Envy.

Which headphones do you think have the best "fun factor" as I'm looking for that immersion/surround experience?

I was thinking of going for the Sennheiser 363D for PC gaming . What do you think ? note: I don't care about the mic.

Or if there's a better headset around the $250-$350 range let me know.

Feb 7, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #34,086 of 48,583
Did you read the first page of this thread? if you didnt, read all of it. You will learn a lot.

There is also a list of headphones that he categorize as fun headphones.

Come back and ask again when you are done reading that first page
wink_face.gif

Feb 8, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #34,087 of 48,583
Indeed, I did. I even wrote down the top 5 headphones that have the highest fun factor.

But, I still have a question about that Senn 363D  (which I didn't see listed - ya, I know they're a headset not headphones... ). 

Feb 8, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #34,088 of 48,583
I was all set on the Fidelio X2 for gaming with a vmoda mod mic, but I've been reading terrible things about quality control issues. Can anyone recommend a better or similar option. Price under $500

i just picked up pair from amazon wharehouse for $150. Pads are glued on but sonically they are excellent. With amazons 30day return policy i say worth a shot. I think the issues have been overblown imo. For $150 i can live with glued pads

Yes, I second mikaveli's sentiments. I really liked them as a bassy gaming headphone.

I ultimately sold them because I wanted an open headphone that is really good with metal music.

For $150, they're impossible to beat, and do well with all but the most complex music.

Unless you listen to w lot of classical, jazz or metal, you will probably be pleased with their music performance as well.

I'll probably end picking up another pair, as i miss mine.

Feb 8, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #34,090 of 48,583
Anyone have much experience with the Sony MDR-MA900?

Going of the MLE guide and some other reviews they seem like a pair that I really want, sadly though they are hard to find these days and only a Japanese import will do.

Do you guys think that it's still worth the price (£200) to import them or are there better options available in Europe now? I'm mainly looking for a comfort upgrade from the AD700x, which recently has started to irritate me during longer gaming sessions.

Thanks

Feb 8, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #34,091 of 48,583
I just picked up the X1s as they seem to be about as good as the X2s from what I read (selective bias ofc...).

Mad Lust rated x1s and x2s equally. 

Hope I don't regret it... o.o

This is the reason why I'm doing away with scores. I said not to compare scores, yet people do it. So moving forward, scores will be gone and people will have to read the pros and cons of headphones they are intereested in. The scores were reflective on how I felt at the time of review based on the headphone's own merits. A 7 from a Koss KSC75 is not the same as a 7 from the Audeze LCD2. STOP COMPARING SCORES.

The X1 is not as good as the X2. The X2 has better bass control, better midrange, and a more detailed sound. It's also more comfortable due to having a larger headband to fit larger heads.

Feb 8, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #34,093 of 48,583
  Maybe make that more apparent on the front page? 

Taken directly from the X2 review on said front page.

"The X2 for gaming purposes is fantastic. The improved clarity over the X1 is noticeable from the onset. Less bass bloat that doesn't creep up on the mids the way they did on the X1, while still retaining an excellent amount of bass and immersion."

tl;dr X2 is better than X1.

Feb 8, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #34,094 of 48,583
My apologies.  Sigh. my own fault for not properly reading/researching. 

If I had spent $20 extra I'd have x2 =/

-- I'm still curious about the Sennheiser 363D , would be interested to see how they measure up.

Feb 8, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #34,095 of 48,583
Unfortunately, it'd be hard to compare the X00 to the other two, as I had both the TH600 and TH900 on hand to directly compare. The X00 would be alone and I didn't own the 600-900 long enough to feel comfortable comparing them based off memory.

I can't believe that review was up on guru last September, and I somehow didn't thgink to add it here.

rolleyes.gif

I'm up to the Midrange section of my Creative JAM review, so I'm hoping to finish at least the rough draft of the full review tomorrow and work on it from there. Tuesday and onward will be busy times working on something, so I need to get this done.

I'm a bit rusty too, so hopefully it all doesn't look like crap in the end.

Guessed as much.

At least you remembered to link it. Better late than never. If the JAM review reads even half as well as the TH-600 one, I'm sure it'll be far north of "crap" (whatever that is...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back